How many of you have Wingnut Wings kits in your stash? and Why if not

Beardie

278 members have voted

1. 1. How many Wingnut Wings kits in your stash?

• The complete range
    • A considerable number
    • One just to see what they're like/try them out
    • None not interested in WWI subjects
    • None they are too expensive
    • None rigging puts me off bi-planes
    • None they are too big
    • None but becoming very tempted
    • Would love them all but not financially possible

6 minutes ago, Chief Cohiba said:

I started to build the Tripe, which at one point paused, and never started the Albatros. I will definitely continue with the Triplane, but add turnbuckles despite their recommendation.

I'm just wondering why you want to do that, seeing how the Sopwith Triplane only had turnbuckes on the internal rigging and the control lines, the wing and tailplane bracing being done with RAFwires.

I've done a few of the new Copper State kits and although fit isn't as good as WNW they still build much better than most of the competition.

Paul.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

If you can build any other kit, then you can build a WNW one, no matter the number of wings, because of how they're engineered. It's one of the rare cases where the engineering, which was developed with ease of assembly in mind, is matched by the fidelity of the moulding, so that it works as intended. As a result, the most tricky part of building a biplane (getting the top wing on) is a doddle. Second trickiest is rigging, and they've made it as easy as can be done by moulding the rigging locations - okay, you need to deepen the holes a bit, but that's not rocket science. Then with EZline and superglue, you can rig the average sized scout in an hour or so.

Paul.

2 hours ago, RichieW said:

Chaps, like Paul said, you already have the skills. These kits are so brilliantly designed and manufactured that you can get a great looking result. The tolerances are tight so make sure you remove paint from gluing surfaces. Other than that think of them as being like recent Tamiya kits. I find Airfix 1/72  biplane kits way more difficult! 

Richie

Thanks Paul and Richie, I do do biplanes and enjoy rigging them,  it was just the sheer amount that was slightly concerning, I will build it , I might even bring it up the stash as I am on a bit of a 1/32 period at the mo.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 2

I got back into modelling just as the Wingnut Wings bubble burst 😭  My favourite era of aviation by far, but a number of factors stopped me getting their kits. Main being I felt I lacked the experience to do them justice. And a few years later that still applies! But I'm getting there slowly ... Also I've never had that much disposable income to invest in these quality kits. I'm just hoping that when I feel like I've got the necessary skills they are still available, and not eye wateringly expensive. 🤞

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

the Sopwith Triplane only had turnbuckes on the internal rigging and the control lines

It's been so long that I worked on it, so I honestly can't remember if there where any turnbuckles visible outside. By the time I was working on it, say some seven years ago, most likely I didn't consider turnbuckles at all. I will do some research when I start it again, and of course only apply where it makes sense. ( A quick look at Dixie II does show some, but not sure if this is correct for the original plane as well.)

• 3 weeks later...

I have one in the stash - the Collishaw Sopwith Triplane Special edition.    The other one I was tempted by was the Lanoe Hawker DH-2, but then WnW shut down, and prices on the secondary market skyrocketed.  

I had given up hope of ever getting that DH-2, until last week!  (When Sprue Brothers announced they had received some of the final inventory clear-out.).  I picked up the DH-2 I wanted at the retail price, and grabbed a Camel while I was at it.  ( The one that includes Collishaw’s markings.)

That is it for me- I really doubt I’ll ever buy another.   I think “3” is enough for me!

• Like 4

Sadly I never bought one,but they are quality. Was hoping for an Avro 504K which sadly never got to fruition. Looked for them at shows but second hand rarely come up for sale.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, T-21 said:

Sadly I never bought one,but they are quality. Was hoping for an Avro 504K which sadly never got to fruition. Looked for them at shows but second hand rarely come up for sale.

It'll be a lot more work but at least you probably will get a 504 from Roden eventually.

Paul.

• Like 3

I'd love to own a Wingnut kit.  A Taube or Roland C.II would be ideal.  Although there is not that much chance for me, given their scarcity and price nowadays.  

I have to make do by cribbing off their instructions and making my own ones in 1/144 scale.

rrG82jO.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, europapete said:

aww come on! That's just a giant match made out of 2x4's. 

I can't tell if you are joking or not 😅

I signed up to social media recently and shared a few pictures of my 144 builds.  Within 24 hours I had some fellow that was really upset about it and swore that it was all fake.  Even a video would not placate him and he said it was CGI.  I used to enjoy the giant matchstick jokes, but now they give me an eye twitch. 😭

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

24 and 5 on backorder from the Big H

Hmm, 29 is a rubbish number, may have to order another to make a nice round 30. Tha'll satisfy my CDO ( Obsessive Compulsive Disorder arranged alphabetically ) 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok, confession time .... I have 61 WNW kits in the stash. I was lucky and bought as soon as they first came out, picked up some cheap on eBay from others that also bought early and then realised they needed rigging etc and decided the kit was not for them. Then I went to work in the US for a couple of years and added even more to stash.

However the SABLE effect is likely to kick in so I'm think of disposing of about a third of them. It will be difficult but I feel it must be done.

P

• Like 3

It's a very slight tangient, but how to WnW square up to the 1/32 offerings from Roden? Someone gifted me a 1/48 SE5 for helping them out recently, and I was impressed with the quality of the mouldings. I'd be interested in comparing say their respective DH2s. I've yet to have the pleasure of getting an actual WnW box in my greasy mitts.

34 minutes ago, Quiet Mike said:

It's a very slight tangient, but how to WnW square up to the 1/32 offerings from Roden? Someone gifted me a 1/48 SE5 for helping them out recently, and I was impressed with the quality of the mouldings. I'd be interested in comparing say their respective DH2s. I've yet to have the pleasure of getting an actual WnW box in my greasy mitts.

The Roden kits are fine Mike, they get a bad press from some but with work they build up into beautiful models. Wingnut Wings are on a much higher level though. The details, kit design and mouldings are second to none IMHO.

Richie

On 15/12/2022 at 10:52, Putty Animal said:

I had some fellow that was really upset about it and swore that it was all fake.  Even a video would not placate him and he said it was CGI.

Ha, jealousy born out of a lack of talent and miserable character. Your builds make most of us lesser mortals laugh in amazement and enjoy the photos. :)

Richie

• Like 1
  • Haha 2