How many of you have Wingnut Wings kits in your stash? and Why if not

Beardie

278 members have voted

1. 1. How many Wingnut Wings kits in your stash?

• The complete range
    • A considerable number
    • One just to see what they're like/try them out
    • None not interested in WWI subjects
    • None they are too expensive
    • None rigging puts me off bi-planes
    • None they are too big
    • None but becoming very tempted
    • Would love them all but not financially possible

Even the boxes look very handsome on the shelving unit in my living room and the missus doesn't mind compared to the jumble sale of all different sizes of scruffy kit boxes that I sold off to finance the Wingnuts. :winkgrin: I plan to save the box tops once I start emptying them as the images are very good and I will be keeping the instruction books too for all the information and pics they contain.

Funny. I'm about the only person I've met who doesn't like the box art or instruction style. Each to his own. I stopped buying their kits a while back because I don't have the space for many models in that scale, and I also discovered that I don't get much out of it if a kit is very good - I cut my teeth on really rough stuff by today's standards and my expectations have gotten stuck in the past. Not boasting about any skill I might or might not have, I just get more out of building a Blue Max kit or an old vacform than the later Eduard or WNW kits. Having said that, I've built 6 of the things (RE8, F2b, Rumpler C.IV, Sopwith Pup and a couple of Albatrosses). Also finished a Roland D.VI for someone who'd dropped it too often and had lost heart. I have one unbuilt, the LVG. Probably won't get any more unless ambushed in a weak moment at a ridiculous price. I've actually got far more Roden 1/32nd kits done than WNW. But that's just me.

Paul.

• Like 2

I understand where you are coming from with that. Ease of assembly and step by step guidance is great if the aim is largely to create a really nice finished model with minimal stress but if you love the challenge of the build I can see it taking some of the fun out. For myself I know my limitations all too well and so am glad to have kits that I should be able to build without too much difficulty. Having said that I have really enjoyed my Roden Albatros so far although the decals and poor nature of the painting guide has been the cause of some hair loss.

1/32 is not my scale, too big and even 1/48 has too much detail for my taste; I did try 1/32 about 30 years ago and never finished it. I would love the WNW quality for some 1/72 biplanes of the WWI to 1940 era. If I had Peter's resources that is exactly what I'd do with it, and fill gaps not already covered by mainstream makers.

Tim

28 in the stash with No.29 awaiting me in Austral lands.

Initially I purchased the first two German aircraft and decided to keep it orientated that way. But after they arrived and the boxes were opened I picked up the allied pair as well. Since then I have collected one of each type as they have come out, but not the latest two biggies. If they can be found at the right price then I will pick them up, but their full retail price is one that I can not justify. However, some subtle prompting for Crimbo/Birthday/Valentine's presents might help :hmmm::wicked:

It is unlikely that they will be built whilst we are out here in Johnny Land as I do not think they will take well to how the locals practice their handling of boxes out here. Thus, until we settle back in Blighty they will remain boxed whilst I hone my skills on the large number of 1/48 scale WW1 aircraft that are patiently waiting in the stash.

As to what they might do next, (after the Camel), who knows. But I will probably grab it.

Happy hunting,

Christian, exiled to africa

I like the quality of the WNW kits and along side their Plalz DXII kit I am also making the Merlin 1/72 Plalz DXII. Now there is a big difference. I like both kits for exactly for their differences.

I thought they were too big for me and was devoted to Eduard but I know that Eduard are not focusing on WWI subjects any more. Over a year ago they told me in an email that the WWI market was far too small a part of their business now to focus resources on. And I figure that my display cases are just big enough to take the Wingnut scout and dual seat kits and at the rate I will be building them it will be about five years at least before I need another display case. Simple fact is that, if you want a good easier to build Rumpler, RE8, FE2b, LVG, Ninak, DFW, Hannover there is no real alternative.

• Like 1

Can't tell you from personal experience as yet about fit but I have yet to read a review where fit has been poor.

OK, here's one! :)

I built their Sopwith Triplane and the fit was pretty awful! They are lauded for their precision engineering but I found the tolerences just too tight. I made sure all the mating surfaces were clean of paint & that there were no tiny nibs of plastic left from the sprue mounting points or somesuch. Even after that very few parts fitted without further fettling. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy building limited run kits so none of that really bothered me, I just expected better. Maybe I had a Friday afternoon moulding...!! Still, it did result in a lovely model & I must like it as I've turned down two offers to sell it - usually I'd have snatched their hands off!

I won't buy any more WNW's, but I really wish someone would do a state of the art 1/48 RE8....!!

Keith

• Like 1

I am tempted to buy one to try. I do like to follow the WnW builds on here and find them interesting. You all seem to create works of art with them, something which is not going to happen in my hands.

Cheers,

Tom

I have nine of them in the stash, but waiting for my skill level to increase to build these pro kits.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Wingnut Wings fan as well. I have about 20 of their kits so far and have about half a dozen I've started in fact Redcap keeps pestering me to finish my pair of Albatros D.Vas I must have started around the time they came out. One is so close to the finish line as well.

I was never greatly interested in WWI modelling but Roden started my interest with some of their beautiful 1:48 kits. Although I must admit the 1:48 Fokker D.VII kit was the most challenging kit I've finished to date. I then Picked up a couple of Eduard kits which raised the bar in terms of buildability.

When Wingnut Wings burst onto the scene I bought a Bristol Fighter and was amazed by the quality of the product. The box speaks quality and when you open said box you are greeted with an instruction manual/reference book that is second to none. The plastic is amazing with sharp detail and loads of optional parts. You are also backed up by an excellent website with further reference material and photos of built up models from customers from all over the world for inspiration. Not to mention hints and tips.

Wingnut Wings have increased my hunger for more 1:32 WWI subjects including some of Roden's Kits including the improved releases by Encore which is what I envisage the WNW Deluxe editions to be like with a figure, resin and etch. I also have a couple of Academy kits as well but these are basic in comarison to Wingnut Wings although they do make good blank canvasses for adding extra detail.

I'm even contemplating scratch building and Wingnut Wings are even willing to assist in this by selling difficult to make parts such as weapons and engines which will enhance any older kit or scratchbuilt project.

My Wingnut Wings purchases have dropped off recently and I haven't bought one for a while now for a couple of reasons. Firstly I'm running out of storage space. Secondly the fall in £ vs $ and the price increases followed by the end of free shipping has put me off. There are still a few I want to get such as the Pfalz D.III, Sopwith Snipe and the Albatros B.II which I will pick up at some point along with the Camel when it comes out.

You'll notice that there are a few gaps in the catalogue numbers which have yet to be released. It can be fun trying to predict what they are. I reckon that it's only a matter of time before we see a BE.2 I'm also hoping for other RFC kits such as the Vickers Gun Bus and FK.8 amongst others......

Regards,

Mark

• Like 2

I have four (and have said that 4 is a considerable number). I bought them when Wingnuts first released models. I've got them as my rigging opus. I've been practicing my rigging technique on models that were either cheap (eg, SMER Tigermoth) or small (eg Revell DH2 & SE.5a). I use EZ-Line as my Rigging medium.

George, out.............

Not my scale, and all that rigging arrrrggggg!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously for the above reason I have a couple in my stash, cause when I is growed up and can build better I will have a go!

• 2 weeks later...

I have none.  They are too big for me. 1/72 suits me best. 

They are much too expensive for my income and if I did build one I would really struggle to find somewhere put keep it.  (One of the drawbacks of modelling for as long as I have)

I have none.  They are too big for me. 1/72 suits me best. 

They are much too expensive for my income and if I did build one I would really struggle to find somewhere put keep it.  (One of the drawbacks of modelling for as long as I have)

• Like 2

On 8/15/2016 at 3:34 PM, IanHx said:

None - wrong scale, wrong price, wrong era, wrong means of propulsion. And afixing rigging when it's supposed to be a fun hobby is clearly just plain wrong.... :hobbyhorse:

The rigging is the best part!

I have no Wingnuts as they're too big (I work in 1:72) and, I have to say, too complete...Half the fun of modelling for me is fabricating the missing detail and improving what's in the kit. I'd get bored if my modeling was reduced to just painting and gluing bits together....

Ian

Edited by limeypilot

I've just bought their Albatross Va (OAW) after reading a thread here about their kits.  Simply superb quality. I must say I only build 1/72 aircraft but I couldn't resist the level of detail of this kit, not to mention the beautiful schemes included.  I'm still building my modelling skills, so it won't see the bench any time soon. 

Cheers

Jaime 

• Like 2

Ah but the beauty of the Wingnut kit is the finished example of a WWI aircraft with minimal fuss plus the learning experience provided by the booklet which details not only where the bits should go but also what they are, giving you an insight into what instruments went where on a given aircraft, what different pieces of equipment are, rigging locations and what particular rigging lines did and it also contains plenty of pictures of the real aircraft including current replicas and surviving aircraft.

Therefore a relatively straightforward and beautiful build without needing to be a master modeller plus picking up information on just what all those interesting little bits did. I know that information is available and in much more detail in special publications on different aircraft but, if time is limited and you want to cover many different aircraft without spending a lifetime learning the ins and outs of each particular aircraft they are a 'total package'.

I have to say though that I don't kid myself that they will be all that easy. Just getting some of those delicate components off the sprue intact will be a challenge and painting them without ruining the detail will also be no mean feat. They really are quite incredible compared to any other kit I have ever handled.

I originally thought of them as being too big but, I realised that, if I stick to only WWI subjects in 1/32 scale then my existing display cabinets will hold at least several years worth of builds.

• Like 1

Well people, I would love one :heart: 

Any of them. Unfortunately now in more or less enforced retirement, with a rather underdeveloped superannuation, other annoying stuff gets in the way :(.

Food, clothes for the kids (I've gone feral to economise), fuel, rent, underpants, loo roll,  medicine, insect repellant, twiglets :confused: 

Maybe one day Santa will bring me that lovely DH-9 :santa: .

All the best

TonyT

• Like 2

On 8/16/2016 at 7:08 AM, kiwitrogg said:

No...............................not yet anyway. :winkgrin: I'm waiting to see what Christmas will bring.

I visited the impressive Great War Exhibition in Wellington (NZ) earlier this year, another project of Sir Peter Jackson's. They had a few WnW kits in the museum shop but I never gave them a second glance, I just wasn't interested at that time ! Something changed, and I tested my new found enthusiasm on the 2 Eduard Albatroses I posted last week, and now I think I'd probably nip over to the Weta shop and pick up a WNW kit next time I'm down in the capital.

I've been watching them sell on our local auction site this year where they seem to be selling like hotcakes to the same couple of buyers.

Gaz

Weta doesn't carry them at present in the shop. No space, believe it or not. I was just there. Modelair in Auckland has a decent selection.

Edited by Robin-42

Tony, I feel your pain, I am on a short budget myself and, in order to buy some of the Wingnuts kits I took the decision to flog everything that wasn't nailed down so my entire stash of other kits went on ebay as well as various other things I had accumulated over the years. I tried flogging the kids on ebay but apparently that is frowned upon <_<

Just kidding on that last one of course :D

• Like 1

Me too.  I have their Se5, Snipe, Bristol Fighter and DH2 & DH9a.  I dream of the day when I will have time to start them and the proficiency to not make a total sherbert of the build.  Both seem hopelessly out of reach at present 

• Like 1