Il2 humbrol colours

OlegTheMeerkat

Hi all,

I'm making a 1/144 il2, and it didn't come with any painting instructions. So I had a look around online for humbrol colours but couldn't find any. I only really use humbrol so if anyone knows the closest number for Russian colours that will be nice. If anyone does know could you just give me a list.

Edited by OlegTheMeerkat

This is a good site which covers all the VVS colours, though they only ever did the blues and greens for Humbrol. There's a good list of all the VVS colour and if you have a calibrated monitor you could probably work some of the others out.

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/colors/colors.html

Edited by Tbolt

I just spent a lot of time trying to mix Russian colours based on materiel on the Soviet warplanes forum and Hornat's 'Colours of the Falcons'. I came up with these. For the early two coloured scheme, all Humbrols; Green AII 1 x 225 + 2 x 117, then black 2 x 33 + 1 x 112. For the mid-war three coloured scheme; Green AMT-4 3 x 115 + 1 x 150 + 1 x 239; black as before then brown AMT-1; 2 x 159 +1 x 72 + 1 x 156. This colour varied according to Soviet colour patches so could be lighter. There were set patterns for these schemes which were broadly adhered to.

• Like 3

You will find the patterns, the Soviets called them templates, on the sovietwarplanes website. By Tessatori Massimo. Lots of good material on there with pictures to back up the diagrams

Yep, that's why I posted the link ;)

Edited by Tbolt