1/72 - Messerschmitt Me.1106B-1/B-2a/B-5 by AZmodel - released - new Sabrekits boxing

Homebee

AZmodel is to release 1/72nd Messerschmitt Me.1106 kits

Source: http://modelweb.modelforum.cz/2016/08/14/co-se-chysta-u-azmodel/

- ref.AZ7537 - Messerschmitt Me.1106B-1 Aces

DSC06735.jpg

- ref.AZ7538 - Messerschmitt Me.1106B-2a Nachtjäger

DSC06736.jpg

- ref.AZ7539 - Messerschmitt Me.1106B-5 Hohenjäger

DSC06737.jpg

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

I normally really enjoy AZ Models subjects, but this one leaves me a little puzzled :confused:.

The box art would suggest a 'what if' aircraft that was just waiting to blow allied bombers out of the sky. I'm sure AZ know that the P 1106 was dropped as it had no advantages over the P1101.

Therefore, why did AZ choose a prototype 'failure' when they could have chosen the P-1101, a prototype that went on to inspire the Bell X-5, and that had a few configurations? For example, once in the USA trials were performed on the airframe using an Allison jet engine.

The Huma kit of the P-1101 is permanently OOP (as is Huma), so this seems a missed opportunity and strange subject choice. As all the schemes here are 'whif', the AZ art department could have gone similarly to town on a P-1101, whilst also being able to box at least two true prototype schemes, based on the 80% complete airframe at different times in its life.

I don't normally write such stuff, but I feel a bit frustrated at this choice by AZ. I'm not overly fond of the box-art, it has elements of 'cartoon' -i-fying/ over trivialising history, in the name of a 'what-if' that would never have happened as the project, as stated, was dropped anyway - a failure.

Time to get off my :angrysoapbox.sml:

Best regards

Tony

• Like 3

Tony,

My guess is that AZ chose this as no one else has previously. At least not in injected form. RS Models and Sharkit have in resin form and the Huma kit is pretty basic being one of their earlier releases. The P 1101 has been issued by DML for years now so it's already gotten the mainstream injection moulded treatment.

I'm glad to see modern moulding companies are still finding a market with Luft 46 items.

• Like 1

I always wonder if any manufacturer of so called LUFT 46 kits ever read a single book about the subject. There were plenty of projects that were at forefront of aviation technology in May 1945

and they truely continued "to live" in both western / eastern aircraft , and would present far more objective LUFT 46 subjects than majority of kitted projects that were dumped far before 8.5.1945

My most important list Horten excluded, that should be prime subjects to be kitted in styrene.

Junkers EF.128

Focke Wulf Ta 183 TL III

Messerschmitt P.1112

Henschel P.135

Blohm & Voss BV P.215

Heinkel He P.1079B/II

Heinkel Lerche II

Weserflug P.1003/I

• Like 3

I always wonder if any manufacturer of so called LUFT 46 kits ever read a single book about the subject. There were plenty of projects that were at forefront of aviation technology in May 1945

and they truely continued "to live" in both western / eastern aircraft , and would present far more objective LUFT 46 subjects than majority of kitted projects that were dumped far before 8.5.1945

My most important list Horten excluded, that should be prime subjects to be kitted in styrene.

Junkers EF.128

Focke Wulf Ta 183 TL III

Messerschmitt P.1112

Henschel P.135

Blohm & Voss BV P.215

Heinkel He P.1079B/II

Heinkel Lerche II

Weserflug P.1003/I

I agree with this. I guess I went off a bit on my original post. The Revell/DML/Huma kits if the P 1101 can still be found and are all good kits. My point meant to be the same as yours Thomas. I don't want to detract from what has become known as 'Luft 46'. Quite the opposite.

I would like to see the really influential designs kitted. This is why I am disappointed with the choice of the P 1106. It was a 'dropped' design. I'm sure many will buy it. Your list contains the really influential designs. Luft '46 goes on to include the Douglas Skyray, and if we look at the Horten, some incredible flying wing aircraft.

We have kits of the Horten as in the US example, but none of the flown V (2?) example.

This 1106 is just a bit of lightweight fun, Sci-fi.

No worries

Tony

the box says " German Secret Projects " with an 's' - is this the start of a new series then ? a little disappointed like you Tony but if the other 'projects' are forthcoming .....

love the typo on scheme 3 - there is an 'n' missing from Funker !!

• Like 1

Things couldn't have got Wurst for Gabriel, poor fu........r :rofl:

This is AZ having fun, it really is :D

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

I am a bit partial to a Luft46 kit, and wish there was more in 1:48. There... I said it. :shrug:

:ninja: Errr, me too :tomato:

Christian, who has had enough of realty for this week in africa :weep:

Well, perhaps they'll start off by mining what was produced by Huma and updating those subjects with more modern engineering and detailing when it comes to moulding them.

I think the P.1106 is a nice "step off" as it has NOT previously been done in styrene. So perhaps we'll start soon to see other subjects that have only been rendered in resin if at all.

With this particular release along with their Gotha P.60 boxings, I can't imagine CMR is feeling quite as safe about their existing - and quite pricey - line resin Luft 46 subjects.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Released

In-box review - ref. AZ7538 - Me 1106B-2a Nachjager

http://www.detailscaleview.com/2016/10/azmodel-172-me-1106-nachtjager-AZ7538-review.html

AZmodel 1/72 Me 1106B-1 Aces (AZ7537)

http://www.detailscaleview.com/2016/12/azmodel-172-me-1106b-1-aces-az7537-review.html

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 5 weeks later...

NH Detail dedicated PE set - ref.A72-047

Sources:

http://scalemodels-bg.com/nhdetail/product/125/

https://www.facebook.com/NHDetail/photos/a.129949497039779.14308.128908283810567/1353074494727267/?type=3&theater

November 2016 News:
A72-047 Messerschmitt Me-1106B Detail Set for AZ MODEL (7537, 7538, 7359)

15192626-1353074494727267-36195692346680

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Messerschmitt Me.1106B-1/B-2a/B-5 by AZmodel - released - new Sabrekits boxing