Cathay Pacific Cargo - Hong Kong Trader Scheme

niki

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about getting a Revell 747-8F kit and dress it up as the Hong Kong Trader.

There are a couple of decals available: a Gio sheet [well, not really available...], the Nazca offering [of which I think to have seen a finished model with the "HK Trader" titles unfortunately not totally covering the paint underneath] and the Ascensio sheet.

748f-001_boeing_747-8f_cathay_pacific_ca

http://www.findmodelkit.com/content/boeing-747-8f-cathay-pacific-cargo

Besides being readily available, the Ascensio sheet is also quite affordable compared to the other two [25 GBP for the last Gio sheet seen on ebay and 20 EUR for the Nazca product on its homepage].

BUT how about those "Hong Kong Trader" titles? They are printed on white decal paper. How does this work on the model at all? How would one need to trim the letters before applying them? Or should one apply the whole white rectangle with letters and then touch up with the underlying paint?

Any experience with similar items or even this one?

Cheers,

Niki

Hi Niki,

I would be cutting each letter out and applying them individually. I have a few sheets like this where that is the case, mind you I have not used them yet!

Touching up around the letters could become messy if you go the other route.

That is a rather nice scheme BTW

Hi Niki,

I would be cutting each letter out and applying them individually. I have a few sheets like this where that is the case, mind you I have not used them yet!

Thanks for the insight, Ray! Man, that would be one heck of a surgery... :cold:

White elements need to trim the contour. Try next time to book directly at Alexander. E-mail address are on each decals. Maybe it will be cheaper than buying through ebay )

Thanks! I haven't bought the sheet yet so, you're right, I could send an e-mail to [email protected] :thumbsup2:

Most people recommend against Alexander...

Ed, it might be just a coincidence [and associated misunderstanding]: seems like the guy behind Ascensio is also called Alexander. Nothing to do with the store selling Brasil/ Gio Decals.

Cheers everyone,

Niki

• Like 1

Hi Niki

Just seen your post. Here is a link to my build of 'Hong Kong Trader' which I think you are referring to - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234969458-boeing-747-8f-cathay-hong-kong-trader/

I used Nazca decals which are good. The white Hong Kong Trader lettering is a screen printed decal which goes over the green/blue paint no problem. The only issue with the decals is the Hong Kong skyline which has been printed exactly the same for both sides but it is actually slightly different on each side around the Hong Kong Trader lettering. However it is an easy fix by cutting and moving a bit of the skyline. The upper deck door decal is also totally wrong - use the one from the kit decal instead.

The diamond shapes in the green/blue paint aren't provided in the decal - these have to be masked. I made a photocopy of the decal and used the decal's diamond shapes as the basis for making paint masks.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck with your build

Tim

• Like 1

Hey Tim,

Many thanks for stepping in!

Yes, it was your build that I saw but couldn't remember for the life of me where... It was right here under my nose :doh:

From your pictures it seems as the base colour shows a bit through the white decal, but I will take your word for it and try to get that Nazca sheet after all.

And many thanks for the heads up on the skyline issue! I'll have a look if Ascensio has captured this detail correctly.

Once again,

:worthy:

Niki