Bell AH-1T Sea Cobra ++FINISHED++

IanHx

Lifted up a few boxes in the stash and look what was lurking underneath....

IMG_20160814_074833701

IMG_20160814_074833701_zpssgpv4aws.jpg

Here's the obligatory 'see it isn't started yet' shot :)

IMG_20160814_075157686

IMG_20160814_075157686_zpsakuiuaps.jpg

Looked at the paint instructions. Oh dear. No I don't think it had bright green rotors (155) .... will have to revert to the tried and trusted method of S.W.A.G .

Glued the engine-y bits to the side-y pieces as per instructions. The English language does not contain enough words to indicate how unsatisfactorily it fits

(not ones that the mods will let me use round here at any rate! ) !!!!

IMG_20160814_180528270_HDR

IMG_20160814_180528270_HDR_zpsgxxknpzv.j

Edited by IanHx
topic title changed
  • Like 4

Hello and Welcome Ian.

As Matt has said, good luck. I like your choice of technical words :D suites me fine :)

Bright green?! Humbrol 155 is olive drab I think, is that what it asks for?

Bleep bleep bleepity bleeping bleep.

First the shroud round the front of the gun turret snaps in two, then when trying to remove the side support for the gun mounting from the sprue it decides to snap off the ring bit that the gun mounting pin goes into....... it's going to be one of THOSE builds.....

Humbrol 155 looks about right for the main body colour, instructions mention humbrol 105 marine green but that just looks wrong...

Settled on humbrol 85 for the rotors.

Oh dear Ian. Yeah, sometimes you get that type of build don't you. I hope the frustrations don't make you loose patience with the build. Perseverance my friend. Good luck

It was touch and go, but the clamp beast has been vanquished. It left behind a reasonable approximation of a Sea Cobra, just doing some more research on what colour various bits are before glueing more parts on.

• Like 1

Hi Ian, I've never seen the Airfix boxing but I'm asuming it's the Italeri kit in and Airfix box. If so it ain't too shabby.

Colin

According to Scalemates, it is a rebox of the Italeri kit. Got an Italeri W built up somewhere on the shelf, don't recall any dramas during its build. Edited by IanHx

Uurrgh.... flamingoed up. Perhaps if I say nothing, nobody will notice. Who am I trying to kid, with all those other Cobras being built here loads of people will notice. Having accidentally knocked one bit off while failing miserably to correct the issue, think I'll just go with selective amnesia....pic to follow once damage limitation done. And yes there was an unplanned autorotation into the carpet !

I recall having this kit in the stash and I thought I had disposed of it long ago. I has going through the stash on a day off yesterday and found it in bagged form stuffed in a box with another kit.

Not sure if I will ave a go at it for this GB after the UH-1 is finished thought.

Ian, yours still looks great to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Canopy on. Main rotor causing issues - mainly due to Humbrol Mattcote being shinier than a polished shiny thing !  Have sanded the varnish off and hope to get away with describing it as 'weathering'.... !

Finally... it's decal time !

IMG_20160925_083035452_zpso0qgxq7t.jpg

Rotor shenanigans sorted out ( didn't have to put it on upside down after all..yay ),  rhino horn at front just looks wrong, but that's what the instructions show.....

Flicked through the Cobra section of Modern Battlefield Warplanes a few times,  some pics show the front aerial, some don't...  so straw poll :  should it stay or should it go ?

Well sometimes they work out, and sometimes you've just got to admit you've horlixed it up, finish the decals and put it on a shelf out of sight..... no prizes for guessing which time this is !

( hint : front seat WAAAYYY too far forward, but I'm not about to start removing the canopy now its in place )

Decals starting to go on.  Some of you may have noticed in another thread just how much I love decalling - especially those which resemble coarse printed paper and tear easily -  nearly as much as scrabbling round the floor wrestling with the carpet monster to find the one I've just dropped....  !!  :angrysoapbox.sml:

State of play so far :

20160927_205222_zpshzucczos.jpg

Edited by IanHx