British Caledonian VC10, converted from Roden kit

zebra

I've not done a group build before. Joining late, hope that's ok?

I'm going to do two VC10s from Roden kits - a BA Super VC10 and a BCal standard VC10 (type 1103). Making a start on the super-to-standard conversion first.

Box photo - both kits, including the two six decals I'll be using for the BA Super. Two six decals for the BCal standard are on their way, although Australia Post has been so slow lately I wouldn't be all that surprised if the group build has finished before they turn up!

28354126414_ff7e59483e_c.jpgRoden VC10s ready to go by Julian Griffiths, on Flickr

• Like 3

Launching straight in, I got on with the cut and shut job today. This required sections to be taken out of the fuselage in front of and behind the wing - approximately 13mm forward of the wing, 14mm aft. The forward cut is easy enough, I did it on a panel line, not too worried about doing it in the right place relative to windows and doors as I'll be using decals for them. The aft cut is harder as it's close to the point where the fuselage starts to taper, so the cut is staggered and follows the profile of the belly fairing.

28896889861_0025410449_c.jpgCut and shut by Julian Griffiths, on Flickr

Left fuselage half reassembled. It's going to need some filler and a bit of careful re-profiling around the rear join, but pretty happy with it so far.

28896913531_67fd7b2636_c.jpgCut and shut part 2 by Julian Griffiths, on Flickr

• Like 8

A very brave thing to do!!

I have a set of BCAL decals to 1/144 form way way way back. Bought at a place called VHF Supplies (Many UK BMers will know of it). No placement drawings or anything like that . Just a decal sheet. Am saving it in case a standard Vicky 10 turns up.....

• Like 2

This is like living a parallel world now where the original world involved making one Super out of two Airfix kits (or finding an expensive/elusive Frog/Novo Super) and now this world involves cutting down a Roden kit!

This is like living a parallel world now where the original world involved making one Super out of two Airfix kits (or finding an expensive/elusive Frog/Novo Super) and now this world involves cutting down a Roden kit!

It would be simpler if I had an Airfix kit in the stash. But since I unexpectedly had two Roden kits, and seem to be developing a bit of a taste for a conversion, it had to be done!

It would be simpler if I had an Airfix kit in the stash. But since I unexpectedly had two Roden kits, and seem to be developing a bit of a taste for a conversion, it had to be done!

I have started Airfix kit I would have swapped :D :D :D

I've made some progress this weekend. A bit of filler, gap filling superglue, and mr surfacer, and quite a lot of sanding, and I'm pretty happy with the fuselage. The poor quality photo doesn't really do it justice though. Also got things moving on the Super VC10 and some of the sub-assemblies.

28506095673_275483070e_c.jpgVC10 fuselage by Julian Griffiths, on Flickr

• Like 2

Hi Julian,

I knew this could be done! I'm planning this conversion myself, it looks so much shorter than the super doesn't it? Did you use anything to strengthen the joint, particularly the rear one? Must have been tricky filling and sanding around the wing/body fairing at the back.

Don't forget the BCal aircraft had different wingtips to other VC10s.

Just a heads up for when you do the BA Super, sand off the rain gutters as the 26 door outlines are taller than Roden's doors!

Looking forward to how this progresses!

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan

Just had a thought,are you using different stub wings? The ones supplied will be (or should be) cranked and wider from fuse to inbd engine,trailing edge of the stubs are different in plan view too.

Nice bit of cutting there Zebra ,well done!

Hi Julian,

I knew this could be done! I'm planning this conversion myself, it looks so much shorter than the super doesn't it? Did you use anything to strengthen the joint, particularly the rear one? Must have been tricky filling and sanding around the wing/body fairing at the back.

Don't forget the BCal aircraft had different wingtips to other VC10s.

Just a heads up for when you do the BA Super, sand off the rain gutters as the 26 door outlines are taller than Roden's doors!

Looking forward to how this progresses!

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian

I strengthened the joints at the front with strips of sprue, at the back that doesn't work so well as the fuselage tapers so used a mix of sprue and plasticard strip. Yes filling and sanding around the wing/body fairing was tricky, I think I've done it ok, but lost all the surface detail. I think I'm going to need to scribe around the rear of the fairing to give it a bit more definition.

Was aware of the wingtip difference - that's next on the to-do list!

And thanks for the tip on the rain gutters

cheers

Julian

Just had a thought,are you using different stub wings? The ones supplied will be (or should be) cranked and wider from fuse to inbd engine,trailing edge of the stubs are different in plan view too.

Nice bit of cutting there Zebra ,well done!

Thanks, pretty happy with the cutting, even happier with the shutting and the filling! The cutting was a bit harder than expected thanks to the brittle plastic, whilst getting it back together, filled and blended in was easier than I expected.

I've been thinking about the stub wings. I've heard that the Roden engines aren't cranked like they should be, so that part of it doesn't seem to need fixing. I'm in two minds about fixing the width - it's a complex shape so easier said than done - and not sure how noticeable the difference would be in 1/144. Still pondering it. Will do something with the trailing edges though.

• Like 1

You're probably right with the stubs in this scale. I didn't want you to find out before doing it just in case you were going deep on detail. I only noticed the difference when I was working on a standard (RAF K2) lying down on the stub like normal,slope not the same and I didn't have the room like the C.Mk1s (same stubs as Super) that I'd done nearly all my time working on.

You're probably right with the stubs in this scale. I didn't want you to find out before doing it just in case you were going deep on detail. I only noticed the difference when I was working on a standard (RAF K2) lying down on the stub like normal,slope not the same and I didn't have the room like the C.Mk1s (same stubs as Super) that I'd done nearly all my time working on.

This has got me tempted to do a VC10-under-maintenance diorama, with BZN20 lying on the stub wing!

Not a lot of progress this week, haven't had much time. Got a little work done on the wings and made a start on the wing tip dog tooths (dog teeth?), but not really worth photographing yet.

One milestone did happen, the 26 BCal decals arrived in the post on Friday. Overseas mail to Australia has been taking a long time lately - these decals took 3 weeks to get here. Got to plan ahead if you need something for a group build!

Speaking of which, I think I'm going to try the Bra.Z engines and stub wings. The decals highlighted a problem with the plan to stick with the kit engines and stub wings - they won't fit the cut-out in the cheat line decal for the stub wing. In fact they probably won't come close, since the kit stub wings are sloped and the decal cut-out is straight, so it isn't going to look right as is. The Bra.Z engines are made for the Airfix kit, but will probably be easier than making my own stub wings from scratch. So I think I'll order the replacement engines and then concentrate on getting the wings and other sub-assemblies ready. I'll probably then still be waiting for the engines, but that'll give me a chance to get on with the BA Super.

• Like 1

I think I'm protected by Statute of Limitations :bleh:

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

This weekend I've got the wings done. Wingtip dog tooth extensions done and the small outer wing fences added. Also cleaned up the other subassemblies. Now have everything ready to assemble, but have to wait for the resin engines to arrive. Recent experience of the speed of the mail from the UK to Australia tells me not to hold my breath - could be as much as 3 weeks. So time to get on with the Super VC10. Best start a new thread for that...

29155656190_840eae2a8e_c.jpgVC10 wings by Julian Griffiths, on Flickr

29155654610_e74ff3f96e_c.jpgVC10 wings by Julian Griffiths, on Flickr

29335841142_71777ab9d8_c.jpgVC10 subassemblies by Julian Griffiths, on Flickr

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Back on track. The resin engines turned up a bit quicker than expected and I've now got the airframe together, with a coat of primer and nearly ready to paint - just needs a bit of filler in a couple of spots.

The resin engines went on easier than expected. There's a raised bit where the kit engines attach which needs to be sanded off and the slot for the engine attachment stub filled in. I then used a photocopy of the decal to mark out where to attach the engine, and just butt-joined the engine using superglue - there's enough surface area on the part to get a pretty strong join just by butt-joining it. So that went much easier than expected.

Time to start painting next. The instructions for the 26 decals don't give any detail on the precise colours to use - main issue here is the blue which is just described as 'midnight blue'. So will go through the paint stash and see if I have anything that matches the blue in the decal. Anyone know a good match for the blue used on BCal VC10s?

29467830170_a7786de2b5_c.jpgVC10 - nearly ready to paint by Julian Griffiths, on Flickr

• Like 4

I happen to have an old Airfix BAC 1-11 boxing lying right in front of me, and the painting/decaling instructions recommend a combination of Humbrol 15 'midnight blue' and Humbrol 135 'varnish' (probably doesn't have an effect on the color) for the British Caledonian blue color.