Lancia 037

While I wait for the decals to finish my Lotus 88, I've finished (just about!) two kits and started another.

I decided to go for a rally car as I haven't made one since I was a kid.

This is my first Hasegawa kit and it reminds me of the Fujimi kits I've made recently - nice detail on the body but some poor quality detailing on some parts, like th gearbox and driveshafts on this kit. I am looking forward to this though as 1) it's a Lancia and I owned two Lancias in the past 2) it's in Martini colours!

image_zpsugzqrcuf.jpeg

image_zpss4bevxvx.jpeg

I have the Hasegawa P-E kit for this and will be mostly oob with a few wires.

Edited by injidup
  • Like 4

LOL, my Dad had one of the Beta saloons that Lancia bought back due to tin worm. Three years old and rotten as a carrot (we lived on the seafront!). The papers had a field day over it, but I thought Lancia were most honourable - not many British car manufacturers would have put the customer first back then. My Thema was rot free when I sold it at 12 years old. Missed the performance so got a Van Aaken Cinquecento turbo. Great fun again (in between regular engine rebuilds!). :)

Looks like a nice kit. Body shape looks very convincing. What Lancias did you have? I had a re-chipped Thema Turbo IE...mental vehicle! Had a lot of fun with that (until the cambelt went!). :(

I built this kit and the quality is nowhere as good as , say , Tamiya kits . Finished article looks great though . By the way , do you remember the awesome Thema 8:32 ? Super saloon with Ferrari power . How many left I wonder ?

Gary .

I built this kit and the quality is nowhere as good as , say , Tamiya kits . Finished article looks great though . By the way , do you remember the awesome Thema 8:32 ? Super saloon with Ferrari power . How many left I wonder ?

Gary .

Haha...not many! I test drove one and it was slower than mine! Sounded great though. :)

I have 10 of these in the stash to build lol.

Are you building and evo1 or 2? The engine is wrong for an evo1 btw :(

Also I recommend never removing the front cowl once fitted as the front framing is totally incorrect.

Buy it's a very nice kit to throw together, I'll be watching on. I must get on with all mine too lol.

Ashley

Let's have a race Ashley - see who can finish an 037 first!

No idea if it's Evo 1 or 2, but the engine is an approximation of some average 037 engine in my opinion! The kit is the Motne winner.

10016365p.jpg

Hopefully it will look decent when finished, but then almost anything looks good in Martini colours!

There's a build of the MFH 037 over on the F1M forums, and that is a very different beast!

• Like 1

Let's have a race Ashley - see who can finish an 037 first!

No idea if it's Evo 1 or 2, but the engine is an approximation of some average 037 engine in my opinion! The kit is the Motne winner.

10016365p.jpg

Hopefully it will look decent when finished, but then almost anything looks good in Martini colours!

There's a build of the MFH 037 over on the F1M forums, and that is a very different beast!

Haha I need to finish my Days of Thunder build first lol.

That is an Evo1 so the airbox in the kit is wrong. I revamped the Revell boxing last year and although I didn't fully correct the engine, I did make the correct airbox.

My build is here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234988934-lancia-rally-1983-tour-de-corse-updated-old-build/?fromsearch=1

Ashley

Thanks Ashley.

Progress while the boys are asleep.

Dry fit of the rear subframe. Cut out the crossmember as Ashley did on his 037/Rally.

image_zpszeu8rv2d.jpeg

image_zpsx8ldpfcs.jpeg

Started wiring up the engine. I use a dead HDMI or DVI cable (can't remember which and I cut the plugs off!) for the wires and leftover pipe from other kit plug leads as spark plug boots.

image_zpsxohxdgch.jpeg

[image_zpssysbz0ko.jpeg

image_zpsgnpgk6tw.jpeg

Getting the wires onto the distributor will be tricky, so I cut off the connectors and made some new ones from poly tube left over from the Honda RC166 superglued together. Hope it works!

image_zps7ytm2osl.jpeg

Edited by injidup
  • Like 2

A little progress on the Lancia.

I put Kevlar decals on the inner door panels and gave them a coat of Middle Stone. Did a bit more on the ignition leads, and sprayed a couple of coats of Gravity's Titanium White on the body.No,pic of the body as it still looks like white primer!

This is just a dry fit, I want to do a bit more on the engine & gearbox before I stick it together.

image_zps5ve8zaeo.jpeg

Trying to work out if it's worth using proper springs from ball pens or just use the moulded ones in the kit. The pen springs are just about the right diameter.

Edited by injidup
  • Like 3

Very nice. I wouldn't bother changing the springs as you can't see them very well through the rear screen. Obviously the fronts are different if you want to remove the cover but I glued mine on as it's all inaccurate up front anyway lol.

Glad to see you using some kevlar decals. Are you going to apply them to the inside of the shell, behind the doors too? Or paint it a suitable colour. You need to cover a very large area, bigger than you think. I know I missed some out on mine lol. Or you could box the doors in like the real car lol.

Ashley

Thanks for the tips, Ashley.

I may just paint the inner doors and save the decals for something else! I may add the wire for the door handle as it should be quite easy. :-)

Will probably save the springs for something else, then!

• Like 1

Some progress.

Have put the engine and gearbox in, plus front suspension, and done a little work on the interior.

I made up an ignition coil but it's buried under the rear crossmember and pretty well hidden!

The front shocks are painted silver then a marker pen was used the draw on the "spring".

image_zpsl4cmemsm.jpeg

• Like 2

Excellent progress there.

BTW the Coil is mounted on the bulkhead in front on the engine I believe. From looking at pics the Coil ht lead goes forwards. I never bothered to even add on to mine. I doubt people will even notice lol.

Have you started decaling the body yet?

Ashley

I've seen pics of the coil ht lead going the the rear crossmember- I guess it depends who put the car together!

Need to get a gloss coat on the body first - it's just arrived from Gravity Paints. Maybe in the next day or two. Hopefully they go on well as I'm looking fwd to seeing the Martini colours!

I had a fairly productive day today, boys were happily playing in the garden so I was free to do some work on the Lancia. Trying to get this finished quickly so I can get back to the Lotus 88 when the carbon decals arrive.

Finished the interior, decided to do no more detailing, although I haven't decide what to do about seatbelt set, the kit comes with decals for seat belts.

image_zpsy37vgslf.jpeg

image_zpselsstegx.jpeg

image_zpsdzmx6rnu.jpeg

And then decided to do the body decals which went better than I was expecting. I cut the long rear striped in two to help position them a little more easily. Got one side done...

image_zpsdmlkavoi.jpeg

image_zpssumxlxw4.jpeg

The body isn't fixed on yet as I may do a little more wiring on the engine.

Edited by injidup
  • Like 2