1/72 Jagdpanther Options

Pete610

I am currently re-visiting the models I built in my youth..

One of my favourites (giving my age away) was the Matchbox Jagdpanther - I believe the Revell 3232 is a re-pop of the Matchbox jobby - complete with diorama base...

I would like to know peoples opinions on the later versions I have discovered:

Revell 3111

Italeri 7048

Trumpeter 20mm

Are they 'better' - which I suspect is 'yes!'....

Space is currently limited until the loft is back in comission so a 1/35 or 1/48th is out of the question at present...

Thanks

Pete

Revell 3111 - Excellent kit but widely considered to be underscale, closer to 1/76 in some dimensions.

Italeri 7048 - Clunky old kit, widely considered to be overscale, closer to 1/70 in some dimensions. This is the only kit with the Panther A style engine deck and thus the only kit which can be built OOTB as an early Jagdpanther.

Trumpeter - Don't know much about this one, but I've seen it built up very nicely.

There are a couple of options from Dragon too, but both have their issues:

dmlsdkfz173_csewell.jpg

Early - This kit has an incorrect Panther G style engine deck, with some effort it is possible to graft the Italeri part in place (I'm doing two of them).

1143_7212-1.jpg

Late - This kit has a die cast hull that has been known to crumble to bits.

Of the kits listed I'd go for the either the Revell or Trumpeter tool.....If you prefer L&L track and don't mind it being a little bit diminuitive, go Revell. If you want true 1/72 (AFAIK) and don't mind vinyl tracks (or will replace them with OKB etc.) go Trumpeter.

Personally I went for Dragon & Italeri for my early versions (the latter as donors for the former) and Dragon for the lates, but I got them before Dragon's prices were quite so silly as they are now.....These days I'd probably buy Trumpeter/OKB. :nerd:

PS - As for are they better than the old MB/Revell kit.....Yes, yes they are. All of them! :winkgrin:

PPS - Excellent overview of just about every Braille kit ever made here: http://henk.fox3000.com/index2.htm More detailed reviews of many popular kits here: http://www.onthewaymodels.com/

• Like 1

Brilliant - many thanks Sarge :thumbsup:

Think I will go for the later Revell and the Trumpy too - another advantage of this scale is they are all under £15 ... so won't incur the wrath of SWMBO too much.

The Revell can find a place in the Museum I am proposing for my OO gauge (1:76 scaleish) railway layout - if the size difference offends my eye - with the Trumpeter as a shelf queen - maybe, or in a Diorama.

Thanks Again Sgt S....great appraisal - just the ticket :D