'A Shower of Spray and We're Away'

'A Shower of Spray and We're Away' was one of many catch phrases used by Fred Ladd when flying Grumman Widgeons with Tourist Air Travel in Auckland, New Zealand. It was also the title of his autobigraphy, a book which had an excellent shot of the widgeon taking off. Ever since seeing the picture I wanted to build a model of Freds flying boat so after completing 'Plonky' his WWII Avenger last last year I decided to carry on and build the Widgeon.

Classic Airframes models can be a bit of a challenge but this was the best of theirs I've built so far. Assembly was straight forward and it all went together well. I found a suitable Fred in the spares box and made sure he was wearing the ubiquitous shorts before sealing up the fuselage. Flaps were drooped and control surfaces deflected to reflect the actions of the water take off. The floats were rigged with Ezee line and brass and the decals were home printed. Spinners were cast from a master which I deemed to be easier then trying to carve the blades off the kit units.

Base is kids modelling clay painted in water colours.

Enjoy,

IMG_4567_zpsfzj1pyo0.jpg

IMG_4571_zpsubgbdyeu.jpg

IMG_4545_zpsxk8hpwlm.jpg

IMG_4463_zpstj4lz4d0.jpg

IMG_4459_zpspyavgkfo.jpg

IMG_4527_zpsonj1mjmr.jpg

Colin

• Like 33

Thats great!! I have nt long finished my 1/72nd Pavla kit in the same markings but different reg. I take it you used Old Model Decals? If so thye look more to scale than the 1/72nd ones I had for my model.

But, very nicely done chap!

A great build and a terrific display. It really captures the sense of power and momentum. I think the Widgeon is a very attractive aircraft. Must try and nab an Airfix one sometime.

Great model and setting !

I always admire the modellers that can think out of the envelope and create a setting that captures the tone and scene.

I remember reading that book and also "Flight of the Kiwi" when I was a teenager, both great reads.

Hi

Thanks again for the feed back, great to see its pushed the nostalgia button for a few people.

Paul The decals were home made. I make them up in MS word and print a few different font sizes, select the best and print onto clear decal paper. A few soft coats of ‘Future’ over the top and then apply as normal.

Andrew the props are just dics of PET sheet from some packaging. I cut the circle with an Olfa cutter and then masked the middle to spray the tips yellow. With the mask removed I just fogged in the shape of the props free hand with the airbrush.

I drilled a hole in the center of the disc and sandwiched it between the engine and spinner on a 1mm brass rod.

Not perfect but its the best solution I’ve found.

Yes Andy 'Orange Rougy' next.

Cheers Colin

Hi

Thanks again for the feed back, great to see its pushed the nostalgia button for a few people.

Paul The decals were home made. I make them up in MS word and print a few different font sizes, select the best and print onto clear decal paper. A few soft coats of ‘Future’ over the top and then apply as normal.

Andrew the props are just dics of PET sheet from some packaging. I cut the circle with an Olfa cutter and then masked the middle to spray the tips yellow. With the mask removed I just fogged in the shape of the props free hand with the airbrush.

I drilled a hole in the center of the disc and sandwiched it between the engine and spinner on a 1mm brass rod.

Not perfect but its the best solution I’ve found.

Yes Andy 'Orange Rougy' next.

Cheers Colin

Did you use Olfa circle cutters?

Was it easy to use?

I'm trying to find some sort of circle cutter to cut plastic for props like you did.

Hi

Yes I used an Olfa circle cutter. Its very easy to use and infact I use it quite a lot. The main use if for cutting white circles of masking tape for RAF roundals. I usually use a white undercoat, then use the Olfa to cut sdiscs to mask the positions of the roundals and then paint the upper surface colour. Then removing the disc gives a white circle to put the roundal on. In larger scales you can paint the whole roundal. Cutting prop discs and other plastic circles is useful.

Colin