Tugboats on tracks

:oops: I think this model I've missed, but it's very cool ... :goodjob:

I just checked the date on the photos: 2009. Quite a way back Francis. Still using a lot of Lifecolor and Tamiya acrylics back then combined with numerous oil washes.

Good to see some fender abuse.....It's compulsory on Soviet vehicles after 1943 IMHO (ie: after they started surviving long enough to see a second action). :coolio:

Either bend them or burn them off Andy :fight: Think they had more important things on their minds back then. I replaced the kit part with some foil, worked fine and easy to bend.

Well a bit off topic with the Russian stuff but it still looks great

I have added a few little improvements while looking at photos of the LWS I have noticed some look like they have a bar or could it be a grab rail in the squared holes at the rear of the hull so I have added them to my build and started with the priming of the interior using my favorite primer paints

IMG_3186_zpsknvf8f4z.jpg

IMG_3187_zpstcksxp0w.jpg

IMG_3188_zpsaraibuxf.jpg

IMG_3189_zpspiddu1fn.jpg

IMG_3191_zpsxhrlwovz.jpg

IMG_3192_zpstlovdo30.jpg

Beefy

• Like 6

Nice touch.....I'm still getting rid of holes rather than adding details to them. I'm at that stage in a build where I'm going backward rather than forwards, but I think you will agree, this needs replacing:

TankysSadFace_zpsckuj790n.jpg

My current plan is to take the coarse-rasp to it, smooth out the hull, replace the detail with plastic strip and blend it together with Mr.Surfacer 500.....Might take me a while! :rolleyes:

PS - Somehow the glaringly obvious fact that Keith's kit was presented in dunkelgelb had completely eluded me! :doh:

• Like 4

Nothing insurmountable, just time consuming and a bit yucky.....I find sanding plastic quite therapeutic, but I'm paranoid as hell about resin dust (hence Tanky's bath) so it's not quite so relaxing. :confused:

The dogs don't really understand why they are suddenly banned from their favourite place either. :winkgrin:

• Like 3

Well a bit off topic with the Russian stuff but it still looks great

I have added a few little improvements while looking at photos of the LWS I have noticed some look like they have a bar or could it be a grab rail in the squared holes at the rear of the hull so I have added them to my build and started with the priming of the interior using my favorite primer paints

IMG_3186_zpsknvf8f4z.jpg

IMG_3187_zpstcksxp0w.jpg

IMG_3188_zpsaraibuxf.jpg

IMG_3189_zpspiddu1fn.jpg

IMG_3191_zpsxhrlwovz.jpg

IMG_3192_zpstlovdo30.jpg

Beefy

Nice progress Keith, like the grips in the stern apertures and you are making way with the crew compartment. The winch bothers me no end. How are you supposed to use it with a huge bulkhead and two watertight doors in between it and the stern?

Have been googling till my little finger bled but no real suggestion how this magic trick works :hmmm::fraidnot::unsure::blink::blink2:

• Like 3

Nice touch.....I'm still getting rid of holes rather than adding details to them. I'm at that stage in a build where I'm going backward rather than forwards, but I think you will agree, this needs replacing:

TankysSadFace_zpsckuj790n.jpg

My current plan is to take the coarse-rasp to it, smooth out the hull, replace the detail with plastic strip and blend it together with Mr.Surfacer 500.....Might take me a while! :rolleyes:

PS - Somehow the glaringly obvious fact that Keith's kit was presented in dunkelgelb had completely eluded me! :doh:

You are not following an easy path Andy, replacing the kit parts will look better though, no doubt there. A lot of work though. Yep, Keith has a sand colored one :bleh::clown::bleh:

• Like 3

Hull repairs continue, the strakes are gone, I've popped and filled a few more bubbles that were exposed in the process, this time using Mr.Surfacer 500:

TankyMeetsMrSurfacer_zps5oecycny.jpg

I've also been having a few thoughts about the propellor tunnels:

DremelTime_zpsq1v6ssux.jpg

Thoughts that include some serious Dremelling! :fight:

Tonight will be my last opportunity to work on 'Tanky' for a little while.....I have to get the airbrush out to finish off a couple of other projects, but fear not he'll be back in a week or so. :coolio:

PS - I cleaned out the bath 'Tanky' had been relaxing in between rounds of filling & sanding.....Meant to take a photo but I forgot, take my word for it that the amount of micro-fine resin dust that it had trapped was just frightening and I really haven't done all that much heavy duty sanding! :analintruder:

PPS - I've also got the small matter of buying a new Dremel to negotiate! :shutup:

• Like 7

Looking at the various hulls we each have.....There seems to be some disagreement about the shape, another look at the references is definitely required. :pipe:

Just managed to talk myself out of buying a rather attractive 1/35 Bronco LWS in the For Sale section of the site.....For any other BM bretheren who fancy getting involved in this floaty-tracky madness, it's here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235007842-major-stash-cull-kits-decals-accessories/ (Photo 5). :coolio:

• Like 2

I'm on round three with the Mr.Surfacer.....While it's great at smoothing out imperfections it's a lousy filler, it would probably have been quicker to fill the voids with Milliput and skim Mr.Surfacer over the top. :rolleyes:

BowFillSandRepeat_zps7zgdvph2.jpg

If I'd done it with Milliput it would probably be stronger too.....I'm going to be taking a razor saw to this area to inset the replacement strakes, so I really do hope this stuff dries at least reasonably tough.....The question now is, should my strakes extend almost the full length of the hull as Julian's do, or I should I follow the short strake option depicted in Keith's kit? :hmmm:

PS - Looking through the references, my query about the strakes remains unresolved, however I believe I have finally discovered some commonality with the panzers:

lws_1.jpg

LWS prototype

%25D0%259D%25D0%25B5%25D0%25BC%25D0%25B5

Unidentified Early Production LWS

a27-3.jpg

Pz.II Ausf B or C (Early)

The idler (& to a lesser extent the sprocket) of the prototype and early production LWS is very reminiscent of that of a Pz.II Ausf B or C. :nerd:

Web-page of possible interest:

http://stph-world-war-ii.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/land-wasser-schlepper.html

LWS photo-archive here:

http://www.aviarmor.net/tww2/photo/germany/lws/

• Like 3

You have fight on your hands with this model Andy. You can see it improving though so its very much worth the effort :goodjob:

I will be opening another :worms: . I found an article comparing the Hobby Boss and Bronco LWS and there are several differences in the dimensions of the models of these beasts.

I think your theory of the II suspension and drive being used for the LWS is correct, i was first thinking along the lines of the III or even IV but the LWS is bulky but not heavy being a floaty thing so the II would probably have been excellent as a base to work from.

A nice Russian archive you have found and a good collection of photos, will check them out today. I hope to get some more work done on the LWS today,

:winkgrin:

• Like 1

Great work Andy, you have cleaned Tanky's bow up very nicely. I'll send that article to you and Keith today. Can't paste it up here due to copyright but it's an interesting comparison of the two companies offerings.

Cheers mate,

Julian

• Like 2

Cheers Julian.....Look forward to seeing the article. :coolio:

For the sake of my own sanity I suspect I'll probably be following the 'short strake' option (unless conclusively proven incorrect). I'm almost certainly going to have a crack at remodelling the propellor tunnels to something a bit more accurate and I'm also wondering how much it would cost to have an etch insert for the 'holes' made.....It would certainly be the best option in this scale. :hmmm:

Looking at the kits I'm fairly sure Keith's is a later version than yours.....Mine, worryingly, seems to have features from both the early and late versions! :doh:

• Like 2

I am getting rather puzzled by the differences myself Andy. The difference difference in forward windscreens seem clear but the "split spring" (yours and Keith's) pop upon several different versions and the single spring suspension (mine) is rarely seen on photos :blink::unsure::hmmm:

Have made some progress though:

DSCN4000.jpg

DSCN4001.jpg

DSCN4002.jpg

DSCN4003.jpg

Also finished the port side track (Hurrah for me :yahoo: )

Don't expect much progress tomorrow, celebrating my 60th Birthday tomorrow, (became 60 last Monday, now a genuine "Grumpy old man" so watch out :winkgrin: )

P.S. Andy, Keith article sent via we transfer.

• Like 7