Squadron Hacks

charlie_c67

Just after information about the various hacks used by squadrons during WWII.

Would these have simply been old aircraft that have been superseded or could they be newer models as well?

Would they have been painted in the same schemes as the rest of the squadron or would they have simply been whatever was available and left at the base as the squadrons moved around the country?

Finally, would they have been armed in case they were caught out or left defenseless?

Thanks in advance!

Rarely new, rarely armed.

Older aircraft, trainers, impressed civilian or captured aircraft; Tiger Moths, Miles Masters or Magisters, Stampes, Me109s, Sm79s, Avro Ansons, are just a few types.

Mostly painted up in the recommended camo scheme of the time. Captured 109s usually just got L/w markings over-painted with RAF markings.

You don't state what theatre or Air Force, so yes to everything you said, there is a lot of variation- some were war warey aircraft some were newer aircraft some were just light aircraft. Some were painted the same as the rest of the squadron and some were in unique colours. Some that flew near enemy lines were armed.

Edited by Tbolt

A few Spitfires were used, they make for very interesting model subjects too!

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234965526-a-spitfire-for-two-revellairfix-conversion/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234946701-airfix-spitfire-ix-vignette/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234944070-airfix-spit-ix/

From what I've read, generally, in the European theatre, most of the hacks were trainers/liaison aircraft, Black Knight is spot on really.The Auster was used too as well as Hurricanes, Spitfires, Typhoons, Gladiators, Beaufighters. Reading memoirs of WWII pilots, quite a few mentioned that when the squadron upgraded aircraft, quite often one of the old planes would happen to remain at the squadron and would get used for 'local flights' and liaising - It seems to me that often the C/O would keep back a plane for his own use and/or general liaison duties.

Don't quote me on this, as I can't reference it without going through all my books. But just go look at Tom Neil's Silver Spitfire, Johnnie Johnson's MK329 and Adrian Warburtons Maryland. I would suggest that pilots were just particularly resourceful when it came to making the most of what was around them.

Ben

Edited by wellsprop

One P-51 C was given a second seat and used as a taxi for Eisenhour. Tom Neil had a Spitfire, which he'd "obtained" whilst attached as fighter liaison to the USAAF and which he'd had the paint stripped from in order to hide it from its rightful "owner".

Mustang KM232 was being converted to a two seater too, that's James Storrar's personal bird.

Tom Neil recalls that his silver Spitfire was just left abandoned in Rennes. It's squadron codes were 3W-K (322 Dutch Sqn) and it was in a very poor condition with a dodgy engine, hence why it landed away from it's home airfield. 322 sqn (based with the Commonwealth forces in Northern France - not very near Rennes). The RAF salvage units didn't bother recovering it because it was too far away. Tom Neil had the paint stripped off it because the paint was in such bad condition, he also didn't want anyone thinking he'd nicked it and he didn't want anything to specifically relate it to him (ironically, it being silver made it so conspicuous he had to get rid of it).

Ben