1:72 Scale Resin Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.1

Wow, thanks mates! Great stuff, I'm really glad that I've learned what this instrument is. As I was poking around the net last night, I found some articles that mentioned pilots removing the tachometer from the aircraft and keeping it with them until their next flight. It seemed there was concern over the Jaeger tachometers falling into the enemy's hands. I guess it must have been pretty high tech for the time, and must have been considered a military advantage in some way. 

Since my grandfather's Spad came down in the North Sea, I don't believe that this tachometer is from that plane. At one point he must have wanted to sell the tachometer, as he had a price on the back side ($150):

IMG_0730

Thankfully, he never sold it. He passed away in 1965, and when my grandmother passed in 1978 I found the tachometer in my grandfather's workshop. I was just getting serious about building models at that time. My grandfather was a clock maker - a horologist - and I think I may have inherited some of his skills in working with tiny components, 1:72 scale photoetch comes to mind!   :)

My mum told me once that he flew a "Spud" - I got a good laugh out of that. When he was shot down he was flying as an observer, so it could have been a Spad XI or XVI which were two-seat reconnaissance planes. He was in the Naval Aviation Corps, 1st Aeronautical Division, based in Le Croisic where he was a submarine hunter. To my knowledge, he never flew again after he got home, not even in an airliner. I suspect getting shot down can do that to you. 

Back to the Buccaneer! She's almost done, just need to add some fiddly bits (antennae, etc.) and mount the wings.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6

On 11/10/2016 at 16:04, Col. said:

So what chance is there of a SPAD being on your workbench soon?

By the way, if you can do this stellar level of work, just think how much detail you could pack into a 48th scale Sea Fury or SPAD!?!

Hmmm, no Spad in my stash - I have a couple of other biplanes though, like the old Matchbox Heyford and Stranaer, plus the old Airfix 0/400. I don't get a kick out of rigging for some reason. Probably the reason why I don't do sailing ships.  

However, I did just order the AKI 1:72 resin Sea Fury. That should arrive shortly. Something about EDSG, I can't get away from it.  :) 

On 11/10/2016 at 18:29, Fritag said:

Beautiful painting Bill.  What colour blue did you use for the concrete 1,000lbers - it looks absolutely spot on to my eyes and I'd like to make a note of it :)

The blue on the bombs is Gunze H25 Sky Blue - I thought it was a good match too, just based on photos. It's glossy, but that's easy to fix.

On 11/11/2016 at 06:08, Kasparov said:

Lovely, meticulously and methodically performed modelling, all that detail and in that scale, absolutely wonderful work and a pleasure to read.

Can't wait to see the final photos, truly inspirational and educational!

Thanks Kas, welcome aboard! The final photos should be posted in a day or so. It's been a fun project, I'm glad you've enjoyed it.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Cool stuff, Miggers! This thread is going in a lot of different directions, plus I'm learning a lot - at my age! Can you imagine that? Crazy mon...

I've added the dummy bombs to the underside and let me tell you - what a PITA. The bombs attach to a cradle that is supposed to mount in the bomb bay. There's even a peg on each cradle and corresponding hole in the bay. However, I found the peg limits the proper alignment of the four bombs once they're all in place. In other words, if you add one bomb/cradle the way it's designed, then the neighbouring bomb won't fit properly. I had to make some modifications to the cradles (removed the peg to begin with) and then added the bombs in pairs to make sure they're aligned while the glue sets. Eventually, all four were loaded up. They have to be quite close together in order for the bomb bay to rotate (thank goodness that wasn't an option in the kit). Oh, I added the creep marks to the tyres/wheels sometime too...

IMG_0735

I then decided to go through the instruction booklet very carefully to see what I forgot. Because I always forget something! Right away I found a photoetch piece that was supposed to be added to the very end of the fuselage - you can see the actual piece in this photo from the walkaround section:

n21

It's the reinforcing plate with the two lightening holes right underneath the air brake hydraulics, and making up the end of the fuselage proper, pretty much in the lower center of the photo. I added the photoetch piece and I think it makes a big difference.

IMG_0736

It makes it look a bit more machine-like. Too bad it's on the bottom and no one will ever see it!   :)

I added the seats (with their proper offset) and the remaining lap belts. This aircraft did not have the extra windshield/blast shield in the rear cockpit. The two Violet Picture antennae were added under the front fuselage in front of the nose gear, plus the UHF and UHF standby aerials on the spine. Anti-collision lights were also added to the spine and lower fuselage. The lights were moulded in clear resin, and look nice with a coat of Gunze Clear Red over them. The starboard and port navigation lights on the wingtips were painted on with Gunze Clear Red and Clear Green over a base coat of Silver. 

I had to build a little jig to hold the nose cone in the proper orientation while it was glued to the front fuselage. CMR provide the hinge cover, which includes the wiring harness on one side, which is used to pose the nose cone in an open position.

Next, I measured the jury struts that came with the CMR S.2B kit (they're 18mm long) and made some new ones for this model. If CMR included jury struts, I couldn't find them. There were two small rods, but they were too short and are shown in the instructions being used to scratchbuild the tail bumper actuator. I painted the jury struts red, which will add some colour.

I just have to mount the wings and canopy, and she'll be finished. First though, I have to find the PE piece for the canopy that went "zing!"     :shrug: 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 19

Well, I can't find any more parts. I guess that means it's finished! 

IMG_0742

I know all you guys are at Telford - hopefully you find all sorts of good stuff. What's a few quid anyway?   :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. A proper RFI post will follow shortly.

• Like 31

14 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Well, I can't find any more parts. I guess that means it's finished! 

I bet that would sound truly fantastic rendered in Latin as the modeller's motto Bill! :D

Despite having been on the forum only a comparatively short time, I'd recognize one of your builds anywhere from their distinctive qualities - a beauteous Bucc to add to the Pantheon. Bravo!

Tony

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I bet that would sound truly fantastic rendered in Latin as the modeller's motto Bill! :D

Sed non possum amplius partes. EGO coniecto ut suus 'perfectus est!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6