1:72 Scale Resin Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.1

Thanks, mates!   :) 

You may recall that the interior surfaces of the air brakes were protected with, according to the instructions, an "oil-based protective wash" which was "...applied (heavier) to the two air brake petal interior faces. Code numbers kept clean." This protective wash may have only been used for a short while, as I've only seen it on a few photos. CMR recommend using FS30266 to replicate this coating, but that is a kind of yellow-brown. Here is a replay of a previous photo that shows this coating in glorious colour:

Aircraft_parked_upfront2

Note the aircraft on the right at the front of the ship - a very red brown colour, and I'm guessing that this is a fresher application than the others. The Buccaneers used for the carrier suitability trials, of which I'm building a member, seem to have had a very dark application of this coating:

XN934

The aircraft with code "17" is the one I'm modelling. I can't see any details in that last photo, so what I decided to do was to try and replicate the red-brown coating seen in the colour photo, and make it a bit heavier so it's darker like the second photo. The protective coating was applied by brush in real life, but I decided to use my airbrush. Here is what I ended up with:

IMG_0723

I admit that it looks a bit out of place - the airframe is nice and clean, typical of brand new aeroplanes being used for carrier trials, yet the inside of the brakes are all nasty. Strange - but it's the price to pay to make sure that you minimise corrosion I guess. Why just the air brakes I wonder? Probably because they're sticking out past the edge of the deck, constantly in the spray. What do I know?

You may also notice that the exhausts have been added. They were sprayed with Alclad Stainless Steel, which I like due to its slight blue tint. Either the exhausts are too small, or the fuselage opening is too big - there shouldn't be the gap seen on the model.

Outer wings get their transfers today, the inboard flaps will be mounted and the nose cone added (I painted it yesterday). Gear doors are ready to go on as well - I still need to paint the main canopy (I finally finished removing it from the plastic sheet - I had to be really careful as CMR only give you one! I hate vacuforms) and the practice bombs. Speaking of the practice bombs, they should be painted blue with green fins, right?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 18

Gorgeous! :clap::clap: 

How did you go for the red-brown coating? Spraying that first and then some grey drybrushing for the scratches or the other way round? TIA

Ciao

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Superb rendering, and just how I would envisage it on the actual aircraft

You know he simply photoshopped a real tail end onto the picture of the model, right?

or

absolute game changing paintwork Bill, brilliant

These are the things that take the experts way beyond anything I could dream of achieving

w o w

• Like 3

On 11/6/2016 at 10:59, giemme said:

How did you go for the red-brown coating? Spraying that first and then some grey drybrushing for the scratches or the other way round? TIA

The base coat is Gunze H417 RLM76, which I'm using as a surrogate for Light Admiralty Grey, and the top coat is just a random shot or two of Gunze H344 Rust. That last colour is interesting, as it's one of Gunze's weathering colours and has particles in it, about the same size as grains of sand. I reasoned (yeah I know) that a protective wash applied by brush might be uneven, so I figured the particle-laden rust would be an interesting effect. Plus, it's kinda sorta the right colour.

On 11/6/2016 at 11:08, perdu said:

You know he simply photoshopped a real tail end onto the picture of the model, right?

or

absolute game changing paintwork Bill, brilliant

These are the things that take the experts way beyond anything I could dream of achieving

w o w

OK, know you've done it! Revealing my secrets! There's a reason no one has ever actually seen one of my models you know. They're all virtual!   :)

Seriously, it took about 30 seconds to spray the rust colour. Give it a try, but I can warn you - Gunze H344 Rust is a real bear to clean out of the airbrush. I think whatever it is that gives it that nice red-brown colour has a staining agent in it of some kind. Probably real iron oxide. I always use an old spare needle/tip/cup on my trusty Paasche Model H airbrush when I spray that colour.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I reasoned (yeah I know) that a protective wash applied by brush might be uneven, so I figured the particle-laden rust would be an interesting effect. Plus, it's kinda sorta the right colour.

It looks absolutely spot on to me :clap:  Thanks for explaining :thumbsup:

Ciao

Thanks, mates! I appreciate the kind words.

Inspired? By an act of lunacy perhaps - spraying pebbly paint through my airbrush. But then again, Paasche actually market an airbrush that sprays sand. I got to try one at an art fair once, and I thought what a novel way to remove paint from models. Sand blast it! The sand used in the device is a very fine grain - I bet it would work a charm. I have no clue what Paasche thinks you're actually supposed to do with said device however.

So, speaking of lunacy I've been salivating over the newly announced Airfix 1:48 Hawker Sea Fury (yes, I know the real thing is a pig to work on, @NAVY870). The CADs look beautiful! Only one problem, I model in 1:72 scale - none of that fumble-thumb scale stuff. Now, I already have the Trumpeter and Special Hobby 1:72 Sea Fury kits, but neither float my boat to be honest. So I did it! I fed the monster again! I ordered the new Airfix kit!

No, not really, just kidding. I ordered the AKI 1:72 resin kit of the Sea Fury. Hiro shall dispatch one to me Monday next. For those who aren't familiar with this kit it is a beauty.   :) 

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I'm thinking Canadian markings on that Sea Fury...

• Like 7

I've been away for a while (a slightly longer sentence than usual but he ho, if you can't do the time) and missed the progress so far. Now I know how Pope Julius II felt on returning home after a short holiday.

Edited by Beard
To correct spelling.
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Is their Firebrand still available Bill, if it is you should get one to sit alongside the Fury! They really are remarkable kits, the Firebrand was probably the most enjoyable kit I've ever built as it was just engineered so well, despite it being resin & me hating (& being allergic to) superglue!! Fantastic models!

And those Bucc airbrakes look absolutely spot on! Top stuff!

Keith

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Outer wings get their transfers today,

:thumbsup2: Transfers! :yahoo:We'll make a Brit out of you yet Bill!

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Only one problem, I model in 1:72 scale - none of that fumble-thumb scale stuff.

:thumbsdown: You were doing so well Bill!

Never mind the Buccaneer looks ever more gorgeous.

Martian

• Like 3

On 11/6/2016 at 16:18, keefr22 said:

Is their Firebrand still available Bill, if it is you should get one to sit alongside the Fury! They really are remarkable kits, the Firebrand was probably the most enjoyable kit I've ever built as it was just engineered so well, despite it being resin & me hating (& being allergic to) superglue!! Fantastic models!

It is, but I already have the CMR resin Firebrand in the stash and it too is fantastic. I think one is enough for now!   :) 

Didn't I read somewhere that there is a 1:72 resin Firecrest on its way? I thought that was an odd choice since only a handful were ever built, but what the heck - why not?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

Remember way back when we discussed the lack of lateral offset between the ejection seats in this kit? As cast, the cockpit tub and seats align perfectly with no discernible offset at all, and no "wiggle room" to achieve one - there's hardly room for a layer of paint:

IMG_0602

I thought about using some PJ Production seats, as they are significantly underscale (why?) and generally only suitable for pilots from Bag End. Unfortunately, the ones that I have are the wrong mark - intended for the EE Lightning & Alpha Jet - and they just looked plain weird anyway. I rummaged through what other seats I had, but no luck.

I decided to modify the kit seats so I could offset them - I had to do a similar adjustment on the CMR Buccaneer S.2, only not quite so severe. So here goes - fire up your particulate counter and hold your breath!

IMG_0724

Ouch! That's a rather large adjustment! Believe it or not, this is how much had to come off to achieve the proper offset. I essentially took a little over a mm off each seat. The end result, though, is an easily seen offset, which is one of the unique attributes of the Brick.

Oddly enough, when placed in the cockpit tub and offset accordingly, you can hardly notice that the knee guard/support/side panel is missing. I have an idea to drape one of the lap belts over onto the side console in this area to cover up such strangeness. 

Ah, scale modelling - the art of deception.   :) 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 10

A little known secret Bill

I had to do exactly that to make my Pavla seat fit in one of my Jaguar trio

Cant remember for sure which one but it got a resin interior too

Think it was the Hasegawa brute

But as ye say, sirrah, the ART of deception and art it is

Looks good Bill, will you be adding back the missing flanges?

OK sorry I asked, it's the Asahi beer I'm sipping, let's blame it on the beer

;)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I thought about using some PJ Production seats, as they are significantly underscale (why?) and generally only suitable for pilots from Bag End.

:rofl:  some books stay with you for life.

I got some PJ Martin Baker Mk4 seats thinking I'd use them in a JP5 - but as you say they looked very small. 

Those CMR seats look beautifully moulded.  Really crisp and clean.  CMR p'raps don't try to incorporate as much of the small details as do some resin aftermarket seats - but I think the sacrifice is well worth it to get such lovely clean mouldings. I thought the Mk4 seats they supplied with their JP3 were really nicely done.

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I have an idea to drape one of the lap belts over onto the side console in this area to cover up such strangeness. 

That'll do it.  Careless aircrew.

• Like 2

Yes Steve I did notice but hey it was late. ;)

Flanges? Whatever were I thinking?

Those seats are far nicer than the ones with all the bells, whistles and belts on that I can never make a tidy job of painting said decorations on

I ended up removing most of Pavlas extra bits on the Jags

:(

• Like 1

I can't find the seats...     :shrug: 

Cheers,

Bill

EDIT: Why are they always right where I left them, in the last place I looked? So anyway, once I found them it was a quick coat of paint here and there, some fancy photoetch stuff, and I think they'll work. Notwithstanding the missing knee guards on one side - but look at it this way, would you rather not have a bump on your knee or would you rather be able to see where you're going?

IMG_0727

Believe it or not, there is one lap restraint yet to be placed on each seat, and as I mentioned before that is going to be draped over onto the side console to try and hide the portion I hacked off. Poor form on the part of the flight crew, but what the heck it's not like they left M&Ms all over the radar screen. 

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Why all those belts? When my grandfather flew his Spad in the Great War, he sat on a wicker seat and tied a rope around his waist. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Why are they always right where I left them, in the last place I looked?

Is this a pun? :D:D

8 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Why all those belts? When my grandfather flew his Spad in the Great War, he sat on a wicker seat and tied a rope around his waist

Those were real men!!

Seats look great, despite the missing knee guards :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1