1:72 Scale Resin Blackburn Buccaneer S.Mk.1

I started off as a Fighter Controller.

A WRAF.

A non-combatant (apparently).

Guess where the first AS4 was going to land?

Having said that, I rather like the idea that the bar (Wardroom) could be next to my bedroom (cabin) on the same floor (deck) and that I can get good food (scran) in the Dinning Room (Galley).

I do, however, take issue with a hairy matelot banging on my door (bulkhead) and asking me what time I would like him to give me a 'shake' in the morning!

I think you will find that a Bulkhead is a wall ,wardroom cabins still have doors as opposed to hatches!

As an aside I (and others) used to love dragging chain lashings over the aft end of the flightdeck at daft o clock in the morning which just happened to be on top of the officers 2 deck cabins (their deck head).

'safeguard six clips'

Edited by junglierating

Bill, not overly sure about the S.1's bomb bay colour though white does ring a bell, the part you mention in the main gear bay, (bottom of the engine bay runs) was a burnt steel, at least it was on the S.2 can't see why it would be any different.. Strange main gear door casting must say, break out the sanding sticks and hope for no air bubbles.

Sten, went to Malmen today, fantastic show, massive crowds and plenty of noisy Swedish heavy metal on show. See you at the Gothenburg show.....

S1 Bombay...the back of the door is white whilst the rest is sort of duckegg blueish.....

Bill, not overly sure about the S.1's bomb bay colour though white does ring a bell, the part you mention in the main gear bay, (bottom of the engine bay runs) was a burnt steel, at least it was on the S.2 can't see why it would be any different.. Strange main gear door casting must say, break out the sanding sticks and hope for no air bubbles.

Sten, went to Malmen today, fantastic show, massive crowds and plenty of noisy Swedish heavy metal on show. See you at the Gothenburg show.....

S1 bombay...... First pic has door on the right just the way Ihad to crawl in the hatch...................................................................................... [/url]HAM UPDATE PICS SEPT 07 020 by Hugh Gordon, on Flickr">http://28784000783_e2bf0574bc_k.jpgHAM UPDATE PICS SEPT 07 020 by Hugh Gordon, on Flickr

29405715715_437fc521e9_b.jpgHAM UPDATE PICS SEPT 07 022 copy by Hugh Gordon, on Flickr

Edited by Sky Pirate
  • Like 5

That bomb bay must have had some bizarrely engineered operating mechanism because it doesn't look like there is enough room for it to simply rotate :hmmm:

Bob

I was just thinking the same thing, but looking at the pivot point in the lower photo it seems to be a subjective effect of looking at it vertically, rather than horizontally. Tilt your head through 90degrees and the top one looks OK as well :)

• Like 1

On 9/2/2016 at 10:31, Sky Pirate said:

S1 Bombay...the back of the door is white whilst the rest is sort of duckegg blueish.....

Thanks for this, and for the great photos. This confirms that CMR's instruction to paint the back of the door white is correct.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Hi mates,

I survived the week in the woods (having a cabin with indoor plumbing helped!) and after finally settling back into my dull routine, I've found that my low white blood count has snaggered me again. I did 10 days of antibiotics for the sinus/upper respiratory infection and recovered nicely. Now I've found that several mosquito bites (mosquitos for chrissake!) have become infected. I'd take a picture of my arm but it's too nasty. Ugh.

And, of course, tomorrow (Thursday) is chemo day! Let's kill some more white cells while we're at it. Maybe I can get one of those special plastic bubbles to live in. Can you airbrush inside one of those? :)

I've got an entire year left in the treatment program. What is it you guys say? Stiff upper lip and all that. Send me a few extra doses of that stuff. I'll get through it and all, probably because I'm so incredibly bull-headed. When I set my sight on something, I do it. Like getting off of those painkillers. I'm a stubborn old coot and I did it. And I'll get through the chemo and kill every last one of those carcinoma cells. Buggers all. :fight:

In the meantime, I managed to add the landing gear and tail to the Brick. I don't know why, but I always add the legs at this stage. Lots of folks leave them off until the end, but I like to have the model sitting on something when I paint it. I don't trust a rod up the tailpipe (what is it you guys say - fnaar, fnaar?).

I'm working on adding the bomb bay and the arresting hook right now. I'll have some pictures after chemo, so maybe in a couple of days.

Looking back over the photos of the S.1 on board the Ark Royal for carrier trials, it appears that the intakes were painted white on the leading edge, even wrapping around a bit into the inside. This is the actual plane I'm modelling:

buccsark3-1

And a sister ship:

buccsark4-1

There also appears to be little weathering, as it should be as the aircraft are fairly new. When these all-white birds acquired the large metallic lip to the intakes (looking almost like an exhaust collector from a Skua) I don't know. But it doesn't appear to be during the carrier trials.

OK back to work. Ta for now.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 12

I feel for you Bill (we Bills have to stick together anyway) and I truly detest mosquitoes

God made a huge waste of DNA building them. :(

I was looking at your pictures and the great bomb bay pics wondering how much detail to aim for on mine...

Then I remembered with the door open all you see is the door interior

And with it closed all you see is aeroplane

Guess which option I'm going for on my S1 ;)

Good luck with the treatment mate

B

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

I've got an entire year left in the treatment program. What is it you guys say? Stiff upper lip and all that. Send me a few extra doses of that stuff. I'll get through it and all, probably because I'm so incredibly bull-headed. When I set my sight on something, I do it. Like getting off of those painkillers. I'm a stubborn old coot and I did it. And I'll get through the chemo and kill every last one of those carcinoma cells. Buggers all. :fight:

Now that's what we like to see, the old 'Blitz spirit', 'keeping your pecker up', (hmmm, maybe not), 'chin up', etc, etc. Well, positive mental attitude goes a long way to winning the battle Bill, sounds like you don't have a problem there. All the best of British to you. As for airbrushing in a bubble, not something I've ever tried but sounds interesting, probably safe as long as you lay off the Alclad. :sick:

Sorry to hear about the Mossies wreaking havoc on your body parts...I had the same problem a couple of years ago in Cuba, seemed to have it in for me, (they left everyone else alone so at least I served some useful function on the junket). Mind you I was also the sole recipient of nasty jelly fish stings in our party whilst scuba diving off Jardines Del Ray at the same time so maybe it's just me !

Great pics of the S.1 bomb bay...a rather busy place.

• Like 2

I decided on Gunze H38 Steel Red for the inside of the intakes. Recalling our earlier discussion on what colour was actually there, CMR recommended a Dark Brown (such as FS10070) while photographs show what looks like a dark metallic or resin colour with a touch of "dull brown." So why on earth did I paint them Steel Red? Herein lies one of the most important tenets of modelling: Don't believe the label. Gunze H38 Steel Red is actually a dark metallic or resin colour with a touch of dull brown.

I think the colour is bob on. But I'm a Colonial, so you never know. :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 8

I'd be happy to believe the colour to be 'bob' on even if you are a Colonial

A colonial that insists on spelling colour properly for the benefit of the site's home nationality's sensitivities has to be a good 'un :thumbsup2:

And I always thought you were anyway ;)

Gunze

Dammit that's yet another colour range to consider getting my sticky mitts on...

How're the bug bites getting along Bill?

• Like 3

Colonial or not you have the national British spirit, (single malt) and long may it stay that way.

Bill (MG) you should purloin some Gunze, I swear by it unlike Xtracrylix which I just swear at !...(mind you my new weapon of choice is the AKAN range...wonderful stuff).

Bill for what it's worth looking at photos and video footage I think you're quite right with regard to the metallic tone rather than straight brown, they seem to have a certain deep sheen about them.

• Like 3

I got the results from my bone marrow and tissue biopsies along with my CT scans - and Ned has returned! :):):)

Ned, of course, is cancer-speak for "No Evidence of Disease." This means that, at a cellular level, they can't see the cancer. It doesn't mean that it's gone, just that they can't see it. My doctor won't come out and say that I'm in remission, but I'll take it anyway. The CT scans show my lymph nodes back at normal size, and none of my bone marrow is malignant (previously it was at 35%). My treatment combination of Bendamustine and Rituxan worked very well this time around. Not bad for chemo formulas made from mustard gas and mouse antibodies!

My particular type of cancer is indolent (very slow growing) which translates into "very difficult to get rid of." We all know that it will probably come back again, just like it did this time (which was 12 years after my first go-around). Statistics say this remission will be shorter than the first one, but statistics are for the entire population of patients with this disease. They mean NOTHING about my particular case. Personally, I think I killed every last one of those buggers this time, and that it won't come back. Why? Because I have too many models to build - this remission will last long enough for me to die from something else! :)

I will now move to a maintenance chemo regimen of Rituxan only. This is also good news since it doesn't knock me down too bad, and the recovery period is pretty short. Woo Hoo! Maintenance will last until the end of July 2017.

Now, where was that Buccaneer...oh, right here. Where did I leave off? First, I added the bomb bay door in its open position:

IMG_0676

You can see that I was messing around with the small intakes in the leading edge of the wing - devilishly difficult to access in order to clean up and sand, resulting in the manufacture of bespoke tools made by cutting thin pointy shards off of a nail file. Once I thought I had this finished, I decided to prime them along with the other seams. Then the landing gear went on:

IMG_0680

Unusual for a resin kit, the landing gear had small pegs to indicate their proper position and alignment; however they were also on the same surface that mated with the casting block. Not easy to remove and preserve the pegs I'll tell you! Why it was designed this way I can't imagine. In any event, some facsimile of the original pegs remained, enough to be useful in locating the legs.

The legs are made of a black resin that is much stronger than what is used in the rest of the kit. It is more difficult to sand and trim, but on the upside it won't sag under the weight of the model. (Although I will say that I've never actually had any resin legs sag...) The black resin also seemed to make the superglue cure more slowly. I can't think of how that would be possible, but nonetheless that's what happened.

The priming revealed that I did a right lousy job with the seams, and now get to do it all over again. I also added the vertical and horizontal tail pieces:

IMG_0681

She be starting to look like a Brick, eh? :)

I tried to get a good picture of the intakes, to show that metallic resin dull brown colour. I didn't have much luck, here is probably the best one:

IMG_0677

Maybe I should just shoot a piece of flat card stock sprayed with the colour - then you'd be able to see it better. I also sprayed up the front faces of the jet engines, using Alclad Magnesium for the blades and Testors Chrome Silver for the shiny bit out front (what do you call that part anyway?).

IMG_0679

I'll do some additional detailing on the engines, since I had a look at some photos of the Gyron Junior and found that there are some features that can be further enhanced. Nobody will ever see them inside the intakes, but I'll know it's there!

So that's it for now - some modelling progress, a bit of good news on the medical front, and life goes on. I donated 1% of my stash to my club's upcoming kit raffle. It doesn't sound like much, but I'm sure I'd never get around to building those six kits anyway. Really, what am I going to do with a Fine Molds 1:72 Millennium Falcon? Geesh.

Cheers,
Bill

• Like 20