Mclaren red ?

I have the same issues, is it red or orange? I'm confused.

I used Halfords 'Ford's Carnival Red' for my M23 which was more pot luck to match the decals, this was more red than orange and I was reasonably happy with the outcome. I have since bought Zero' s McLaren red for my impending MP4/8 and it does look more red but the Tabu decals are deffinatly orange.

I did hear that the colour was more on the Orange side but looked more red on TV, similar story as the JPS gold I suppose but that doesn't help me or anyone else.

Hopefully, I'm off to Donnington motor museum later this year so might take a colour swatch with me.

Regards

John

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

I'll second Bjorn's answer, it's deffo not a red, more a burn your eyes out orange! Photographs don't bring it out, here's my rendition -

9Wm6rpH.jpg

None of the bodywork fits too well!

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the Tamiya M23 from 1976 for Hunt as well as my own 3D design work on the M23. The red colour that Tamiya suggest is a spray can TS-36 which I went and bought so I could decant it and use it in the airbrush.

I always spray a test rectangle of plasticard on all paints as a colour swatch reference for the future and TS-36 is an orange red which looks way too bright at first but when you compare it to original photos it does look right although to my eye is just very very slightly too orange but as Dave points out above the colour rendition of old photos is never 100% perfect anyway. 

I can find the colour swatch piece and photograph it in diffuse sunlight tomorrow (weather permitting) alongside some other known colours and then post it on here if you like.

FB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I meant to post this earlier.... but I'm having some issues with the Zero Paint's "Red" 

McLarenRed.jpg

I have a few other similar paint colours in the draw but I haven't made up a bottle of paint diluted to spray viscosity yet so not had chance to spray a swatch.

On the right is a swatch of the Tamiya spray can TS-36 Fluorescent Red that all the Tamiya kits I have recommend as the Marlboro Red for McLaren cars of this era including the M23 and the MP4/4

On the left are two attempts at painting my sample swatch with the Zero Paints ZP-1066 McLaren MP4 (Marlboro) Red

No matter what I do it crazes as it dries. The top one is straight onto white plasticard but the bottom one has a primer coat of white Tamiya fine surface primer.

Both were painted with a light mist coat first them several thicker coats after that dried. I've used the same method for my other Zero Paints and those come out perfect, including the Camel yellow and the Ferrari reds both of which I'd normally expect to be a bit of a PIA but they're fine.

Anyone any suggestions whats going on? Is it a bad batch?

• Confused 1

I used Zero Marlboro red on my recent MP4/8 and had no issues what so ever on top of Mig ammo one shot white primer

On your top one, I've had issues in the past with straight on to bare plastic and the only thing I can think with the tamiya primer (which I have used with zero paints in the past) is that the primer hadn't hardened and gassed off enough before you sprayed the red on perhaps and the primer has reacted and caused the cracking.

The Zero red does give a slightly orange tint, but it matched the red in the decals perfectly

20220821_131837

• 1 month later...
On 9/26/2022 at 2:53 PM, Flying Badger said:

I meant to post this earlier.... but I'm having some issues with the Zero Paint's "Red" 

McLarenRed.jpg

I have a few other similar paint colours in the draw but I haven't made up a bottle of paint diluted to spray viscosity yet so not had chance to spray a swatch.

On the right is a swatch of the Tamiya spray can TS-36 Fluorescent Red that all the Tamiya kits I have recommend as the Marlboro Red for McLaren cars of this era including the M23 and the MP4/4

On the left are two attempts at painting my sample swatch with the Zero Paints ZP-1066 McLaren MP4 (Marlboro) Red

No matter what I do it crazes as it dries. The top one is straight onto white plasticard but the bottom one has a primer coat of white Tamiya fine surface primer.

Both were painted with a light mist coat first them several thicker coats after that dried. I've used the same method for my other Zero Paints and those come out perfect, including the Camel yellow and the Ferrari reds both of which I'd normally expect to be a bit of a PIA but they're fine.

Anyone any suggestions whats going on? Is it a bad batch?

I had similar problems spraying Zeros paints for The Italeri / Protar Alfa Romeo..  Cost a fair bit too for not very much and the shipping!! -  but ditched it in the end for a Tamiya colour - then noticed that Halfords did a close match too...

• Like 1

I looked at the M23 Haynes manual. My first thought was that all the pictures are taken from US TV - the NTSC system - Which means "Never Twice the Same Colour".🙃

There's even a picture where the cockpit surround (at a different angle) is a completely different shade to the bodywork.

I was around F1 in the 70s but I don't remember the M23/M26 being particularly dayglo. AFAIK McLaren went more dayglo in the 80s.

• Like 2

Somewhere around 76 there was a change from definitely deep red (like Marlboro fag packets as presumably the sponsor intended 😃) to reddish-orangish-with-a -hint -of -dayglo!  This later colour could appear from dayglo orange to red in photos of the same car at the same race, depending on the camera, photographers settings, weather, film stock, processing and magazine printing.  
In black and white photos the later colour looks a lot paler than the earlier red, interestingly.

Sometime later McLaren definitely orange was adopted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, malpaso said:

Somewhere around 76 there was a change from definitely deep red (like Marlboro fag packets as presumably the sponsor intended 😃) to reddish-orangish-with-a -hint -of -dayglo!  This later colour could appear from dayglo orange to red in photos of the same car at the same race, depending on the camera, photographers settings, weather, film stock, processing and magazine printing.  
In black and white photos the later colour looks a lot paler than the earlier red, interestingly.

Sometime later McLaren definitely orange was adopted.

This.

Though there  was no 'could appear' about it. They switched to RAL 3024 as per the F1M thread. (Which I'm in.....aahhh those were the days)

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

The best paint and easiest to apply for the McLaren F1 cars from the 80's and 90's and also the James Hunt M23 is Mr Color #171 Fluorescent Red. Nothing comes close for colour shade and vibrancy in my honest opinion. It dries semi-gloss so needs clear for a true gloss finish.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Hi Steve

Thanks for that, bought my Meng kit a few weeks ago and picked up a pot of the Mr Color paint with it. Just tried it on the gearbox side panels. WOW! That’s one bright colour but looks great. Reference pics are deceptive I know but it certainly matches some of them and also the colour reference/mixing info swatches available on the net so I’m going with it.

Thanks again.

TonyS

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

After getting a couple of bottles of Mr Color 171 and 4 of their Brilliant white, I  can confirm that Mr Color 171 is a closer match to the Tabu decals than the Tamiya TS36

It's probably a tad brighter than the decals but will give the colour swatch a couple of coats of gloss clear as 171 dries satin, hopefully that will bring it spot on the decals 

Thanks for the heads up Steve Noble

13 hours ago, colin said:

After getting a couple of bottles of Mr Color 171 and 4 of their Brilliant white, I  can confirm that Mr Color 171 is a closer match to the Tabu decals than the Tamiya TS36

It's probably a tad brighter than the decals but will give the colour swatch a couple of coats of gloss clear as 171 dries satin, hopefully that will bring it spot on the decals 

Thanks for the heads up Steve Noble

No problem. I love those Mr Color paints, so easy to use and they have some fantastic colours in their range. I just wish I had a local store that stocked them...

12 minutes ago, Mpfiend said:

@Steve Noble The Model work shop in Barnsley stocks Mr colour paint.

https://www.themodelworkshop.co.uk/paints/mr-hobby.html

Keith.

They have a good selection of Mr Hobby Aqueous Hobby Color but not so much of the Mr Color paint range.

The Mr Hobby Aqueous Hobby Color are very good, but you need to be careful of their gloss colors as they take longer to dry and fully harden than the Mr Color ones even when using their MLT.

• 2 months later...

For those of us building the MENG or Tamiya MP4/4 there’s some great shots of the car and suspension/engine in this video on youtube. For what it’s worth I think the Mr Hobby 171 looks to be the best match on the colour. 

Edited by Calgarygti