HS1182 Hawk prototype 1974 & The new tool Revell Hawk 1:72

Cheshiretaurus

Are those identical to the 190 gal tanks of the Sea Harrier?

Cheers,

Andre

I don't know TBH. There is a high likelihood they would be though as the two design teams were next to each other at BAe Kingston.

Fences or no fences that is the question. the plot thickens

I had a quick peek in the book - and it looks like for the first flight at least there were no wing fences fitted at all.

My copy arrived this morning,

29008418552_628d1ed464_b.jpg

The pic of the first take-off with no fences (Page 48) brilliant nice & simple, but then I saw the caption its believed to be 154 on the first flight, bit more digging needed then.

Looking at canberra kids pic below 154 has the fences 157 doesnt

4%20750765%202_zpsccnyp49j.jpg

To the best of my knowledge the first two solo shots of XX154 in canberra kid's post were taken on its first flight. Note that the wing fences were present, but were a different shpe.

Also of note the aircraft in the black & white pic has no airflow vanes on the pitot but in canberra kids pic 154 has the vanes but I'm not to sure if 157 has them or its detail on the ground in the pic.

I wonder if both were first flown without the fences and the fences fitted later (154 getting them first) or that pic was actually 157??

Confused...... yes I am, like I say the plot thickens

• 2 weeks later...

Think I'm going to go with fences on, after more searching I came across a French aeronautical news magazine dated 14th Sep 1974, in it there is a lovely cutaway drawing showing the Hawk with inboard fences. Now I'm no expert in realistic timescales for publishing but I doubt that in 24 days since first flight a design change was made, installed, new cutaway drawing produced, passed on to publishers, edited, printing drums produced, printed and distributed etc by the 14th Sept. Possible these days but in 1974....?

28746658903_c1eca1b543_c.jpg

So I think its highly likely that XX154 was built with the fences in the first place but XX157 was built clean.

Next thing I've noticed is 2 rods sticking out above and behind the jet pipe, anyone know what they were for?

XX154%20HS%20Hawk%20T.1%201st%20flight_z

Did manage to get hold of an original Airfix hawk cheaply from ebay to use as comparison, think I'm going to clone the wide headbox seats from this and maybe the old style airbrake and gear doors, then sell it on if I dont rob the weapons from it first for a future build.

29261281852_3b33161f2b_c.jpg

Now where am I up to on this build..... got the fuselage closed up and cast a 7g white metal weight to fit as Im not sure if it need weights, wings are clued together, old fence + vortex gens removed and slots cut for the new fences.

29233911496_42a4e2a42d_c.jpg

29261286242_789ff48cd5_c.jpg

The Revell hawk has some nice surface detail but plastic is too thick on the trailing edges especially on the wings and fin as they are formed by both halves, even the single piece stabiliser is too thick on its trailing edge and all needed sanding down. Something the Airfix hawk wins out on.

CT

• Like 2