1/72 Chinese Fishbeds do Africa

With my Kulula 737 nearing completion, I'm embarking on my next project, which again has an African subject.

As part of my overview of the Rhodesia / Zimbabwe air force I wanted to build a Chengu J-7 in Zim colours. Looking for kits I came across the Hasegawa boxing, which contains two kits (quite possibly for the price of two :P). I really like the colour scheme of the J-7s in Namibian service, so I decided on that for the second model.

Pictured below is the box top, one set of sprues (the box contains two), the decals (from Mavdecal) and my reference material.

Chengdu-001_zpsvb5cwvgd.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Welp, had to dig deep to find this thread again, but I'm happy to report progress has been made!

I started out with painting some of the smaller bits, as well as testing out some paint colours for the camo schemes.

Chengdu-004_zpsnlmviafo.jpg

Next up was painting the pilots and applying nose weights

Chengdu-005_zpsj68djjoq.jpg

In all their wisdom Hasegawa decided that having a whopping big hole in the tail-pipe would be a good idea. I disagree, so I stuk some Evergreen sheet over the hole

Chengdu-006_zps5zfl3d3f.jpg

The 'lets put huge gaps in' philosophy was also applied to the design of the cockpit. I have zero scratch-building skills, but leaving a huge gap on either side of the cockpit floor was too much even for me, so I built some very crude side-walls out of sheet styrene again.

Chengdu-007_zpstbooy5xx.jpg

With that done the fuselage could be closed up and I moved on to the next challenge: This 'slight gap' between wing and fuselage.

Chengdu-008_zps3yjydrtp.jpg

I've partly filled it with a shim (Evergreen sheet again) and will do the rest with putty.

Chengdu-009_zpscmis1m7d.jpg

Current progress is shown below: all the major parts are assembled, but still quite some filling and sanding left to go before we can move to painting (not to mention there's also the second fuselage to do).

Chengdu-002_zpstwo9oeiy.jpg

Edited by johnny_7713
  • Like 1