If Luchs Could Kill or Luchs Aren't Everything aka What on Earth Have I Got Myself Into?

Added the kit lights (with blackout slit covers) and kit provided conduits.

Put everything together for a sneak preview.

Competition time :D

Which bits do you think need adding to the model. (you get no points for saying tracks)

MirageHobby35SdKfz123LuchsWIP-11-08-16ba

Oh and I managed to find and reattach the etch clasp on the stowage box on the above picture.

Reviewing the picture alerted me to the loss of the errant piece and a brief search of the carpet monster's mouth recovered not only the clasp but a hinge which had gone missing yesterday.

Many thanks for the kind comments all

Phil the Eagle-eyed

• Like 5

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Sorry couldn't resist. It's looking really busy.  Are you going to go down the super muddy route? I'd love to have a go at that style one day. :hmmm:

I shall be doing the well used and fairly dirty look on this one but not super muddy. :)

Made a fair bit of progress today due to my not being in work and being unable to stray too far from the smallest room :sick:

First up a bit of info on the plastic yoghurt pots I use for small pieces of variable thickness plastic as an alternative for expensive plasticard sheets.

If you look on the underside of the pot you will see a small recycle triangle with a number in it:

The one to use has a 6 in it as this denotes polystyrene which, as we all know, is pretty much the same stuff as our models are usually made from.

Thus our glues such as Tamiya Extra thin etc will stick/fuse/melt it just nicely.

Remember if it's a six, it sticks. :D

On to the build progress.

The kit grab handles were a bit crude and didn't fit the locating holes so were replaced by a bit o' brass lad... sorry went a bit Yorkshire Dales there for a mo.

I went with the kit main antenna which called for .5mm x 40mm brass rod topped with the etch umbrella thingy (technical term) making use of the kit plastic for the mount.

And dry fit in it's location

Two rows of 5 track links each were then assembled (after I saw the photo I removed the flash)

And a combination of kit etch for the brackets and brass rod bent to shape for the retaining rods (the etch items were too flat, trust me) got them attached to the forward hull

Cable eyes were assembled and the ends of the piece of cord provided were sealed with cyano and then inserted into the cable eyes

Next up were the vehicle clearance indicators.

The kit items were, once again, rather crude.

So I replaced them with brass rod slightly bent to the correct angle and inserted into slightly larger brass rod pieces recessed into the fenders.

The little round ends were created by repeatedly dipping the top ends of the rods into cyano letting it dry a little between applications.

Last stage for the evening was to add the five rear tie down bolts (brass rod) and add the upper halves of the clamps.

There are some etched dogs to be added later after paint and the cable has been added.

I do believe we are now ready for some paint :yahoo:

As always thanks everyone for the positive vibes

If anyone thinks I've missed something or got something wrong now would be a good time to speak up :D

Otherwise thanks for looking

Phil the running man :door:

• Like 7

Hi,

thanks for the tip about the recycling number ... I'm always short of styrene, now I know I have plenty in the recycling bin ^_^

For the round ends on the rods, you can also use thick PVA glue, it's even better because the surface tension of the glue makes the "ball" rounder.

E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 1

Thanks for the encouraging comments all.

Here's one for paint obsessed John :)

Primer on:yahoo:

Had to re-do the aerial as the umbrella bit had managed to pick up some very fine cobwebs overnight :spider:

Spare tracks removed for separate painting.

Tomorrow I shall inspect for flaws and then, hopefully, get a preshade and coat of base colour on (my lightened DAK Desert Yellow mix)

Spray booth Phil :thanks:

• Like 3

Cracking Work Chap! Very, very impressed with your attention to detail and carrying on when I'd have put it in the 3 Boxes and Pile of Doom. Like many I'm looking forward to the paint, a bit I really don't enjoy, but each to their own.

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouragement all :thumbsup2:.

Had a few life hiccups so wasn't able to make the progress originally intended.

Managed to scrape some me time together and have now applied the preshade.

Also applied the etch locking levers for the visible etch tie downs on the rear right stowage box.

I may need to shorten the coax mg on the turret but will cross that particular pontoon later.

How much of the preshade remains after the base camo coat will depend on how happy I am with the look.:boxing:

Thanks for looking:thumbsup:

Preshade Phil :bye:

• Like 4

Well, things seem to be moving along now.

Applied a coat of desert yellow knocking back the preshade to a nice subtle discoloration effect.

The thing about close-ups is that they show all the warts too :D

I shall get rid of that errant hair later.

Weathering washes and mud will conceal the paint spatters around the suspension arms, that and the wheels :D

Turret

Oooo brolly

Also made some headway with the accessories..

Initial coat of buff (for the wood) and thinned rubber black (for the metal parts)

Thinned burnt umber oil wash for the woody bits, allowed to dry for a bit and then streaked using a flat brush slightly moistened with low odour thinner to produce a wood grain effect.

Metal parts drybrushed with Vallejo Steel.

Probably it for today

Thanks for looking :thanks:

Drybrush Phil :)

• Like 4

Cracking stuff Phill.....I like a good Luchs as you know and against all the odds you've dragged a remarkably fine example out of that kit!  :coolio:

Looks like you are going for an early(ish) 4Pz. vehicle, have you got a particular vehicle in mind and do you decent source of photos/profiles?  :shrug:

• Like 1