1/144 Airfix Vasa

Wonderful to see it finished after so many years.

Fantastic paint job.

Any particular tips for achieving the detail on the transom? This is more impressive than many attempts of this kit I have seen, where the detail isn't 'cut in' well.

I would love to do a Wasa one day, is the Revell one generally more recommended ?

I am generally sticking to 1/144 scale, but already have a few 1/150 kits in the stash as well which should look OK next to 1/144.

• Like 1

Wonderful to see it finished after so many years.

Fantastic paint job.

Any particular tips for achieving the detail on the transom? This is more impressive than many attempts of this kit I have seen, where the detail isn't 'cut in' well.

I would love to do a Wasa one day, is the Revell one generally more recommended ?

I am generally sticking to 1/144 scale, but already have a few 1/150 kits in the stash as well which should look OK next to 1/144.

Thanks a lot. The painting is only done with ordinary brushing, dry brushing and a bit of washing, using Humbrol enamels. It's done directly on Airfix rather sharp mouldings, they are actually impressive in the old kit in that regard. The only trick I suppose is time and patience, time and patience, time and patience and a glass of good wine... :coolio:

I haven't yet built Revell's 1/150 Vasa, but I have two kits in my stash and have done a good amount of checking on them. The Revell kit looks very good, and is much more accurate in detail than the old Airfix version. I have improved some of the inaccuracy's on my build, but some are just a bit too large to fix. The only thing better with Airfix is that the small sculpts actually are a little bit sharper than Revell's. Revell gives a much better possibility to create a more realistic rigging, and you can also get photo etched ratlines for it from Scale Warship Models. I'd go with the Revell kit unless building for pure nostalgic reasons.

Brilliant build Jorgen.

I've spent the afternoon perusing the WIP.

My father was gifted one of these in the early 90s, which he did very little with. It was passed on to my when my parents split-up and I can't remember what happened to it (likely binned in one of the many house moves that followed) but I would certainly be up for giving it another shot after your inspirational build.

Toodles,

Paul

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Of course now that she has finished you need to sink her for true historical accuracy.

Seriously though it is a splendid piece of work.

Truly gifted to take a cheap 40+ year old mould and make it look fantastic.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather
  • Like 1

Your model of the Wasa is incredible.

The painting of the hull and the subtle weathering is just superb and the intricate painting of the stern is a masterpiece in itself.

You may detect a hint of jealousy here, because back in the early 70's, when I was a"spotty yoof", my dad bought me this very kit when we were on holiday in Oban in Scotland. As we were on holiday, we had no tools with us, so a knife and a tube of glue bought and the model was built over a few nights in the guest house we were staying in. We decided that the Wasa could be painted when we got back home.A great plan to keep the "spotty yoof" occupied. There was one minor flaw however, in that we travelled by car. This meant that my parents, my grandmother, the family dog and muggins here had to be packed into the Ford Zephyr along with all of the luggage and the ever so delicate Wasa for our return trip to deepest Northumberland, a merry jaunt of just over 220 miles. Needless to say, the old Zephyr survived the journey (only just), but the poor old Wasa didn't.

I always planned to buy another and give it a proper build, but never got around to it.

I think your Wasa may just have re kindled a bit of interest here.

Thank you for showing it here.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, cngaero said:

the ever so delicate Wasa for our return trip to deepest Northumberland, a merry jaunt of just over 220 miles. Needless to say, the old Zephyr survived the journey (only just), but the poor old Wasa didn't.

On the plus side, probably traveled further than the real thing which sank 1.3km into her maiden voyage.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nheather said:

On the plus side, probably traveled further than the real thing which sank 1.3km into her maiden voyage.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks for that info Nigel, I wasn't aware of that. I bet she was a beauty in real life. 

• Like 1

She still is. If you are ever in Stockholm go to the Vasa Museet, (museum), you can walk around her on multiple levels. All our visitors when I lived in Sweden were taken there and all thoroughly enjoyed it.

If you stand below her rudder and look up you can also see why she capsized...

Christian, exiled further south with his Billing's Boats Vasa - for a future build...

Edited by wyverns4
syntax...
  • Like 2

I just googled her, i knew she sank 1st time out but did not know why latest info is that 4 rulers were found 2 were Swedish rulers 12" = 1ft 2 were Polish 11" =1ft. it turns the port side was heavier than the other seen in the timbers were some were 4" Swedish rule and some 4" in Polish, eek you think they would use 1 measurement.

• Like 1