Norway buying P8 Poseidon.

RNoAF Aerobatic Team

Hmm maybe I should start a new thread .....but it's getting political.

All I can say is small porthole bigger picture.

I think the navy is heading for a fall somewhere and it will be embarrassing .....I hope that is all it will be.nuff said

As for Poseidon I'm sure it will be fine after all what is the alternative....umm er nope there isn't one.

Time to invest in technology .

Diligence was a oil support ship originally until the Falklands war

Diligence was launched in 1981 as a support ship for North Sea oil rigs, she was chartered by the British government to support naval activities during the 1982 Falklands War and was later bought outright as a fleet maintenance vessel.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/rfa-diligence-sold-years-early-without-replacement/

River patrol craft ---------------------Leased

Artic patrol ship------------------------Leased

Repair and refit ship ------------------Leased

Whos running the navy ----------------H S S

Aslo if we have 25 ships why do we need 26 Admirals????

Actually, 38 Admirals (see Page 5: OF7, 8 and 9), plus a further 75 Commodores (or equivalent, as these figures include the Royal Marines) - as of 2014. The published breakdown of armed forces strength by rank seems to have been discontinued, for reasons we can only speculate about.....

• Like 1

River patrol craft ---------------------Leased

Artic patrol ship------------------------Leased

Repair and refit ship ------------------Leased

Whos running the navy ----------------H S S

Aslo if we have 25 ships why do we need 26 Admirals????

It is a rank and not a position as ship commander. Admirals head up branches across the Navy and further afield such as NATO etc. The Navy is far more than just 25 ships, it has airfields, infrastructure, support and many many other roles and areas.

Although your above statement is clearly wrong, even if it were right and say 2 Admirals were on leave/sick etc.? would the ship stay in port?!

It is a rank and not a position as ship commander. Admirals head up branches across the Navy and further afield such as NATO etc. The Navy is far more than just 25 ships, it has airfields, infrastructure, support and many many other roles and areas.

Although your above statement is clearly wrong, even if it were right and say 2 Admirals were on leave/sick etc.? would the ship stay in port?!

I think the point is that at least 50% of the posts occupied by the 26 Admirals don't necessarily have to be performed by an individual of OF-7 rank or greater.

Edited by magwitch

Compare with the Rhodesian armed forces that fought the Bush War against Zanla and ZAPU with just one OF-8 officer!

That Mugabe has got his country and armed forces well sorted.................