Newbie Weather/Finishing question

ZitchDog

Hi,

I am about ready to detail my first aircraft, I have painted it and am now at the weathering stage. Just wondered what the best order is? I.e.

1 - gloss coats

2 - decals

3 - weathering

4 - Matt clear coats

I am not sure if I should weather and then decal and if a second set of gloss coats is best to seal the decals?

Cheers

Dan

Usually you need to gloss before decals to get as smooth surface as possible. Then decals and another gloss coat to seal as dadgaddad said.

Agreed.

1 - gloss coats

2 - decals

3 - another gloss coat

4 - weathering

5 - matt clear coats

• Like 1

This is perhaps biased to brush painting but I don't see the need for a second gloss coat, which only adds to the thickness of the finishing surface. It's better to have as few layers as possible. I'd apply the matt coat after the transfers and then do the weathering. Applying the matt coat last gives the same overall "tone" to the model whereas in real life the weathering/wear&tear happens last.

• Like 1

Ok thanks guys, as this is my first model I'm expecting to have a few trial and error still I find a technique I'm happy with. I do like what graham said about adding the weathering last to replicate real life, seeing as that's what I/we are trying to achieve.

Thanks again guys.