UH-1H

Colin W

Hi Chaps

I was just finishing a model after the Hunter STGB when I suddenly realised this one was already started. Where do the days go?

Anyway I have the Italeri UH-1D which Im planning to do as an RNZAF Antarctic machine in signal red. I am actually torn between the RTAF and the RNZAF as I build both countries but only have 1 huey but I think the red scheme will win.

Cheers

Colin

The finished pictures are all added into the last post on Page 3.

Cheers Colin

Edited by Colin W
Photobucket pictures replaced
  • Like 4

Welcome Colin,

Bright colours are a win for me. Sounds interesting; I tried a quick google for New Zealand Antarctic Huey and found Aviation workshop decals, is this the one you speak of? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=new+zealand+antarctic+huey&client=safari&hl=en-gb&biw=1024&bih=672&prmd=inv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwje9fLNlLfOAhWGbxQKHXIJDfEQ_AUIBygB#hl=en-gb&tbm=isch&q=new+zealand+antarctic+huey&imgrc=bXaQxlXGzaRk0M%3A.

Cheers

Aaron

Yes this is the one.

But with so few markings I'll probaly just print my own decals.

I'll leave the rotors detachable so I can put in a diorama with the Herc. Something like this?

herk_zpspcfrddnf.jpg

Colin

• Like 1

Well my Aussie Hawk is moving into final painting so starting on the Huey this weekend.

Quick wash in soapy water and back in the box to dry out. I managed to find a great interior shot of the actual aircraft which is uesful. I ottk loads of pictures of the Huey at Telford in 2014 but the antarctic birds were configured mainly for the rescue mission although there is an internal winch.

Anyway here the box and the virgin plastic.

IMG_4587_zpswkfr3obr.jpg

IMG_4586_zpsdnslezx5.jpg

Colin

• Like 3

Hi

Ilaleri kit looks good. No flash, only a few ejector marks. Cockpit has good raised details and a full set of flight controls. The quilting in the hold is convincing and the seat / webbing is great. I'm having a bit of an issue at the moment fitting the front structure as it doesnt seem to want to fit even when not fixed to the floor structure. No doubt I'll get it in though.

There is a winch included (parts 79 and 80) visible in the top left of the sprue shot above. Does anyone know how this fitted? The antarctic birds had an internal winch which swung out when required. I'm thinking this one is a bit too big but I've never seen a winch on a Huey it might be the one.

Colin

• Like 2

Hi Colin

Here's a good set of reference photos for a Kiwi bird you want. There's a couple of pictures near the bottom of the page showing the winch fitment.

http://www.kiwiaircraftimages.com/iroquois.html

There's another set somewhere that I used when building mine a couple of years back, I'll post a link if I can find it again.

Should look good in red ! Even better sticking out the back of a Herc !

Cheers

Gaz

Thanks for the link. It looks like what I'm after but maybe furthur back in the fuselage. Its nothing like the kit parts so I'll try and copy that.

Anyhow here is my progress today.

IMG_4590_zpstyw48ftt.jpg

Ejector pins removed from fuselage, seats including 3rd jump seat assembled. Strecher bulit from scrap, main interior structure put together. I've had a rummage in the spares bin and found some items which can be added as other equipment to make it look busy.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 3

Ahah just as I'm replying to Milktrip the real answer from Mr Kiwitrogg.

Excellent Sir, thank you very much. Thats the one I need.

I was just looking through my Telford pictures from 2013 when the Huey was in the hall and have discovered Ia heap of pictures of Orange Roughy I took myself. Were these yours Gaz? It might have been on the NZSIG table.

Colin

• Like 1

Me again, found it.

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au/pages/Walkarounds_aircraft.html

There's some really good detailed pictures of '08', an NZ UH-1H up in East Timor about half way down. Should give a good idea of the generic NZ Huey but of a later mod state. So yours I think will still have the wire aerial on the tailboom, won't have the strakes along the LH side of the tailboom, and possibly the different engine intakes. Sorry if that's confusing.

Gaz

Ahah just as I'm replying to Milktrip the real answer from Mr Kiwitrogg.

Excellent Sir, thank you very much. Thats the one I need.

I was just looking through my Telford pictures from 2013 when the Huey was in the hall and have discovered Ia heap of pictures of Orange Roughy I took myself. Were these yours Gaz? It might have been on the NZSIG table.

Colin

Nah, wasn't me I'm afraid. Mine hasn't left the Manawatu let alone traveled the globe :P

Here's my effort. http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234949347-bell-uh-1h-iroquois-rnzaf/

Gaz

• Like 1

Thanks Gaz,

Good link for Huey shots. I note the armoured seats, not necessary in Antarctia but probably in East Timor! The shot of the winch (hoist) is exactly what was required. Some of the Kiwi shots are a bit too dark to see the black hoist.

Thats a great model of the UN scheme. Hope mine comes out looking as good as that. I was a member of IPMS New Plymouth for a few years when I lives in Hastings. The drive over was great and I met some excellent blokes there.

Cheers

Colin

Hi

I made a bit more of a start on the sub assemblies over the weekend.

IMG_4617_zps51zu3hfq.jpg

The seats are from the kit and the basic interior has been assembled and painted with Mr Colour grey primer. I have added a door handle to the port door which seems to be always closed and found some 1/35 food cans and holdalls which will act as survival bags.

I have started the winch which looks like a 1/72 scale undercarriage leg off something (Intruder?) and a few other bits from the spares box. The third seat is also from the spares box.

Painting next.

Colin

• Like 5

Well I was back into the spares box with a vengence during the week. I couldn't post as since the last local bombings the internet has been reeeeaaaal sloooow & Photobucket toook 2 days to upload the pics. Mind you the adverts still download in 1/2 a second.

Anyway here is the almost completed interior. Rear seat belts and winch to add. You can see the lower support for the winch.

IMG_4620_zpsuvzxw7ol.jpg

Ive done the duty to the inner fuselage halves and will get the windows in next and maybe have it looking like a helo soon.

Colin

• Like 5

Well a busy weekend but I managed to get the intertior finished and assembled the fuselage.

From the picture above I added the rear seat belts, winch and added some spiral head set coils hanging from the overhead console. These are a tad over scale but add a bit of interest. I gave the whole thing a wash of raw umber to pick out the quilting and floor mesh detail. The stretcher is made from bits frm the spares box.

IMG_4648_zpsof8rw66x.jpg

And a view from the back with the winch now fitted

IMG_4649_zpsayvrc9ml.jpg

I then tried to fit the interior into the starboard fuselage half but it didnt want to fit and to make it easier I used the port half as well. Next thing I knew was it had all gone together so I just ran some liquid glue around and it was all together. I previously painted the roof windows with clear green and added these so before the body had fully set I put the top on and let it all dry togther as a block.

IMG_4657_zpsoqnmf9lp.jpg

Heres one of the interior showing the winch.

IMG_4658_zpsmq4tvrsx.jpg

Somewhere along the line I built the side steps from brass rod and plastic strip. I have found the underside a bit flexible so should have added some stiffeners under the floor. Ahh hindsight again!

Colin

• Like 8

HI

The seat belts are only masking tape embelished with felt pen and silver paint.

PE takes too long esp when it cant be seen!

Colin

• Like 1