UH-1H

Colin W

I was unable to see the photos when you originally posted due to my work's internet security.   Certainly worth the wait though - absolutely fantastic Colin, love the loading photo :)

Thanks to all. I know it's not really a diorama group build but I was inspired by the picture and there's not many opportunities to build a Hercules diorama. 

Colin. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Lovely job!

I’ve just found this because I am at the planning stage of building an RNZAF Iroquois.  Eventualiy I plan to build at least one of every type I flew; 98% of my post-training flying was done in either Lynx or Seaking (roughly 1,100 hours in each)... but hidden away are a couple of hours in a USN SH-60B in 1987... and 1 sortie in a RNZAF UH-1H (NZ3805) in 1988.  

My squadron was disembarked from Ark Royal to Sembawang in Singapore for a few days to do some of the flying (Instrument Ratings etc) that is hard to get in during long embarkations at sea.  We were hosted by 3 Sqn / 141 Flight RNZAF and a couple of us managed to blag a jungle confined area landings trip with the Kiwis; as close to Apocalypse Now / Chickenhawk as I will ever get; we weren’t actually playing Wagner over loudspeakers, but you can be sure I had it in my head!

I have just acquired the 1/48 Kitty Hawk UH-1D “Huey” kit, which looks excellent and had great reviews.  Some Oldmodels RNZAF decals arrived yesterday.   I remember the flight well, but have no recollection of what scheme the aircraft was wearing or any detail; I only know the serial number because it’s in my logbook.  But Oldsmodels and the interweb suggests that NZ3805 would have been in the SEA scheme in 1988... so that’s what she’ll get unless anyone knows better!

So any help gratefully received, and @Colin W you seem to know more about NZ Hueys than most.  Do you reckon I am on the right track?

Hi EX-FAAWAFFU

Thanks for taking an interest in the RTAF. 

The Kiwi Hueys had a number of schemes over the 40+ years they were operating. Some good information is available on the Web due to their being a lot of active modellers in NZ. Ventura do some useful decals and there are other options. 

You can search for information from the IPMS NZ aviation SIG or you can visit hyperscale archives.

Colin 

• Thanks 1