Matchbox FW-190-A kit (actually a FW-190-G) "FINISHED"

Interesting, I'm sure the one of these I built many many moons ago was in powder blue and bright green plastic - it was the first Matchbox kit I ever bought and I was hugely excited by the claim on the side of the box that it was moulded 'in colour - no painting necessary'. I was, of course, concomitantly disappointed to find the true state of affairs...

Still, I shall put aside my still-smouldering resentment and sit in for nostalgic purposes, if I may :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

That is a G1 (?!) version from SG 1 if I am not mistaken. I love that scheme.

Cheers,

Not being a Luftwaffe modeller I have admit to not knowing very much of the subject I building, the box is telling me this is indeed an SG1 aircraft based in Crimea during 1943. This is the version shown on the box artwork and I think also the unit shown in the second picture.

IMG_3007.jpg

matchbox_fw190.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 2

Hi mate,

I'm not a Luftwaffe expert but the pictures I have seen of aircraft with that particular Mickey Mouse badge have been captioned as SG.1.

RLM74/75/76 would definitely be the appropriate choice of colours for the location and period :thumbsup2:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

I'm a bit partial to these old Matchbox kits, so looking forward to viewing the final result of this and your other M'box kits.

I hope the decals are not as badly out of register as what's shown on the profiles on the back of the kit box!!

Cheers .. Dave.

• Like 1

Hi mate,

I'm not a Luftwaffe expert but the pictures I have seen of aircraft with that particular Mickey Mouse badge have been captioned as SG.1.

RLM74/75/76 would definitely be the appropriate choice of colours for the location and period :thumbsup2:

Cheers,

Stew

I'm a bit partial to these old Matchbox kits, so looking forward to viewing the final result of this and your other M'box kits.

I hope the decals are not as badly out of register as what's shown on the profiles on the back of the kit box!!

Cheers .. Dave.

Thank you both.

As I mostly build RAF and USAAF stuff I had never even heard of a G model FW-190 let alone SG-1 or SG-2. My knowledge of Luftwaffe camouflage is also limited, so thanks again for sorting these problems out.

As the kit is a slightly later issue (1983) I am hoping the decals are the better printed Revell ones.

Hi,

a G should be with a lengthened front fuselage, like all 190s after the A-4 variant. I guess it's only an extra 1.5 mm or so at that scale, so that may be looked upon as nit picking.

One detail you'll have to modify is the top of the vertical stabiliser, where Matchbox have put both the vertical aerial of the A-4 onward, and the horizontal stub of the A-1 to A-3 versions... Bottom line, the modeler has to decide!

I have this kit too, and I believe it is actually a rather accurate A-3 or A-4... But unfortunately the decals are for a G variant. Damn!

Have fun with this little kit!

JR

• Like 1

Interesting, I'm sure the one of these I built many many moons ago was in powder blue and bright green plastic - it was the first Matchbox kit I ever bought and I was hugely excited by the claim on the side of the box that it was moulded 'in colour - no painting necessary'. I was, of course, concomitantly disappointed to find the true state of affairs...

Still, I shall put aside my still-smouldering resentment and sit in for nostalgic purposes, if I may :)

Cheers,

Stew

Hi Stew,

you are right. The kit I have got has the blue and green plastic, as opposed to the two greens of Old Thumper's. I underwent the same initiation as you regarding building unpainted, garish-looking models... But my subsequent painting trials did not much improve the final result!!!!

Good old days!

JR

• Like 1

Hi,

a G should be with a lengthened front fuselage, like all 190s after the A-4 variant. I guess it's only an extra 1.5 mm or so at that scale, so that may be looked upon as nit picking.

One detail you'll have to modify is the top of the vertical stabiliser, where Matchbox have put both the vertical aerial of the A-4 onward, and the horizontal stub of the A-1 to A-3 versions... Bottom line, the modeler has to decide!

I have this kit too, and I believe it is actually a rather accurate A-3 or A-4... But unfortunately the decals are for a G variant. Damn!

Have fun with this little kit!

JR

Just like Jean said. it is a more accurate A3/A4. The picture of the red nosed 190 are from SG 1 only I have seen that they were F2 's.

I know you don't know much about Luftwaffe airplanes. so I will try to explain. The F2 is a JABO directive of the A5 version. as is the G2, but as a Long range JABO. These were often seen with two underwing fuel tanks.

I hope this helps (a bit).

O, I also notised on your model that the tail has the antenna for a A3 and a A4. The A4 has the pointy antenna.

So if you choose the A3 than you need to remove that. If you want to do a A4 you need to round of the tail in front of the antenna on the tail.

Cheers,

• Like 2

Thanks for telling me about the aerials, I shall keep the vertical one like in the picture. I read on another site to delete the nose guns and inspection hatches on either side of the fuselage, not confident it is correct to do that but I have as it is only a very small job to do so and it is only a fun build.

The very earliest releases were light blue and green - it was about the second Matchbox kit I ever got after the Zero. I think the one we're being treated to here is quite a late boxing.

I thought the kit also had some retooling at one point to include underwing rocket tubes?

John

• Like 1

The very earliest releases were light blue and green - it was about the second Matchbox kit I ever got after the Zero. I think the one we're being treated to here is quite a late boxing.

I thought the kit also had some retooling at one point to include underwing rocket tubes?

John

Yes - looks like this one from 1989 - http://www.matchboxkits.org/product_info.php?products_id=547

• Like 2

The colour of the plastic used on Matchbox kits often changed later on, also like with this FW-190 kit there are clues possibly pointing towards future versions of kits that were often never released.

IMG_3008.jpg

Surplus aerial, panels and guns filled in or removed, grey primer and Yellow recognition panels added and masked ready for the spraying of the underside colour.

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

After removing the masking I wasn't that impressed with my paint job so I then added the mottling by hand using a mixture of mattcote and thinned paint. My next job was to give the model a smoothing off with wet and dry followed by a fine finishing cloth before applying the decals.

IMG_3043.jpg

Unfortunately I was still not satisfied with the paint work and was at a bit of a loss of where to go with it. It was then that I decided to cover the dodgy paintwork with a heavily worn coat of white winter camouflage paint. This white wash was a mixture of klear and humbrol white weathering powder which I then rubbed down to my own tastes. I then found myself feeling dissatisfied with the engine cooling slats, so I made new ones with filler sandwiched between plastic card and tin foil, the slats are an impression taken from the finger grips on a pair of my tweezers.

IMG_3044.jpg

Edited by old thumper

And here it is finished, to be honest I feel I could have done a better job, but as this was my first attempt at a Luftwaffe aircraft in quite some time I will settle for the end result and use it as a lesson.

IMG_3053.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 3