Royal Navy nukes

Bill Neill

Well I splashed out and got the CMR Scimitar ouch my wallet, comes with Red Beard and pylon. Color call out for the store is dark green with a black nose so I guess I'm sorted for that.

So the RN nuke line up proposed now is Buccaneer S1 in white, Sea Vixen in grey/white, Scimitar in grey/white and A4 Skyhawk (you know it makes sense) in white. Need some Red Beards but Freightdog does them.

Bill

........ and mine from 'Explosion'.......

we177_explosion_01.jpg

Ken

Just a quick note

The red tube container between the fins was the box for the connection wiring harness that connected the weapon to the aircraft. These harnesses were aircraft specific, so these tubes differed in size depending on aircraft type.

Both 600lb bombs pictured above have tornado MACE lugs fitted, (don't think any RN helicopters used the MACE system? willing to be corrected on this!)

Memories are fading over the years, but The bomb by the Buccaneer seems to have the bigger Tornado type Container, whereas the "Explosion" bomb seems to have the thinner smaller Buccaneer type container.

These containers were obviously not seen on the store when the bomb was on the pylon.

Selwyn

Most sources seem to state that the WE177 was the last air delivered nuke in British service, being withdrawn late '90s.

Have seen some references stating that B-61 is available in NATO stockpiles for all European Tornado users, but others say German & Italian only.

Just been checking up on weapons testing. The Scimitar and the Canberra were used for LABS trials at Orfordness with the WE177 between '65 and '67. The Scimitars would leave Farnborough, fly to Oxford, then turn on a heading for Orfordness, diving for max speed. They made a low pass (low enough to see the top sides from the obs tower), make a 4g pull up, and toss the bomb onto the target, and make a half-cuban egress. Apparently the 177 carried the American W47 trigger, which was designed for Polaris.. Quote" The W47 presented a serious problem , however, until about '65, it was never what was called 'single point safe'. This meant that the conventional explosive in the core of the weapon was liable to detonate prematurely in the event of an accident, and do so moreover with a modest radioactive fallout." *

Probably why a deck landing with a store was prohibited.

*Most Secret, The Hidden History of Orford Ness. P. 173

• Like 3

Most sources seem to state that the WE177 was the last air delivered nuke in British service, being withdrawn late '90s.

Have seen some references stating that B-61 is available in NATO stockpiles for all European Tornado users, but others say German & Italian only.

Correct on the WE177. I think that the B-61 could be carried by RAF Tornados but it was never routinely planned.

And don't forget the 'S' in Sea Harrier FRS.1; another nuke carrier.

Correct on the WE177. I think that the B-61 could be carried by RAF Tornados but it was never routinely planned.

And don't forget the 'S' in Sea Harrier FRS.1; another nuke carrier.

The We 177 could use the MACE suspension system with BRSL (Bomb Release Safety Lock). the B61? probably not cleared with MACE. So B61 OK for German & Italian A/C with bail suspension but not RAF Jets.

Selwyn

for those interested I made a WE177A printable from Shapeways

http://www.shapeways.com/product/VG3THQAJJ/we177a-1-48?optionId=57185717

625x465_9792515_6847257_1459357304.jpg

The two-part construction is to save print-volume and price, I would go for the "Frosted Extreme Detail" alternative to get as much of the detail as possible.

I hope it isnt to forward of me to post this here

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

for those interested I made a WE177A printable from Shapeways

http://www.shapeways.com/product/VG3THQAJJ/we177a-1-48?optionId=57185717

625x465_9792515_6847257_1459357304.jpg

The two-part construction is to save print-volume and price, I would go for the "Frosted Extreme Detail" alternative to get as much of the detail as possible.

I hope it isnt to forward of me to post this here

Good luck!

Looks excellent. If I may, there are a couple of minor errors in your description on Shapeways; 1. you should add Sea King (HAS1, 2, 5 & 6) to the RN depth bomb carriers; and 2. the Lynx Mk.1 was Army - you mean HAS2, HAS3 & HMA8.

• Like 1

The Wessex HAS Mk3 was also cleared. I have apic of one off Portland with a weapon/munition slung on the port side stores carrier. A quick google should throw something up.

Colin

• Like 1

Two more from Yeovilton, I'm not sure if it's Nuclear or not?

SG107123_zpshoydcl0y.jpg

SG107124_zpsldphwkuq.jpg

John

Thats a Mk30 18" "Homing torpedo" .Sometimes seen partially recessed in the bottom of a Whirlwind HAS 7 Helicopter.

Selwyn

• Like 2