New ship model kit range from Starling Models

Mike McCabe

I am very pleased to announce the first in a new range of mulitmedia models, these have been CAD designed by the very talented Benjamin Druel and 3d printed on high quality machines for the most accurate dimensions and finest details. The first kit will be an Algerine class minesweeper in 1/700.

The kit will be resin cast with etched brass parts and decals to build a number of these ships that served with the Royal and Canadian Navies in WW2 and also saw post war service with a number of countries.

It will initially be available in 1/700, hopefully towards the end of September, with a 1/350 version to follow, all being well. This is a kit which has not been previously available in either of these scales.

This will hopefully be the first in a range of kits featuring smaller Royal Navy warships in both 1/700 and 1/350 scales from Starling Models, more news to follow including photos of the test cast which arrived today.

These are images of the CAD design, which I think you will agree are pretty impressive.

Mike

algerine_700_rawrender01_zpsnfjzikgw.jpg

algerine_700_rawrender02_zpsiavveb8e.jpg

• Like 6

1/350 flush decker / 4 piper please. LRDE even better. My great uncle was sunk (first of two sinkings) on HMS Stanley. I have 1/192 plans for the flush deckers, but I lack the time for scratchbuilding!

Actually, my late father in law was on Clare, which was one of only two conversion to LRDE, the other of course being Stanley. Not sure if a 350 version would be a big seller but it would be nice to do a 700 one at some point.

Mike

• Like 1

Actually, my late father in law was on Clare, which was one of only two conversion to LRDE, the other of course being Stanley. Not sure if a 350 version would be a big seller but it would be nice to do a 700 one at some point.

Mike

Is that so? Who'd have thought? :)

There seems to be a lot of people (including Americans) asking about flush deckers in 1/350 in general - perhaps not the LRDEs of course. For a type there were so many of in service, it's odd that there are no kits in either of the most popular scales nowadays.

Anyways, back to the kit above - I think it looks great, and I wish you every success with this :goodjob:

That does look very nice Mike, hope it sells well and the 1/350 gets released sooner rather than later. :thumbsup:

Now, how about an Insect class gunboat in 350? :D

Oh, so many subjects!

Ideally in order to get best value out of the design, as design time is a big cost, I need to look at 700 and 350 kits of the same subject. Also I want to concentrate on RN subjects really, so for that reason I probably won't consider a flush decker although an LRDE would be nice for obvious reasons.

A River class is the sort of subject that would fit, but it will all depend on sales.

Insect class is a nice subject too.

We shall see in the fullness of time, but as a new, small but slowly growing business, this is a big financial outlay for me and I will have to see how the returns are before committing to any future projects.

Mike

Nice choice! My late Grandad was on HMS Cockatrice for a while, so I might just have to have one of these in 1/700, any idea of what sort of price they might be?

thanks

Mike

PS would you consider any of the emergency war destroyers that haven't been done? Another ship my late Grandad was on during WW2 was HMS Relentless.

Edited by Mikemx