Colourful Captured Butcher Bird

A late entry. I hadn't realised the group build had started, and since I had offered to get involved, back in October 2015, it seems

only right that I should try to put in at least one, and try to get it finished by the deadline...

I purchased this kit, which I understand dates from 1992, but is based on an older kit, at the Kitswop in Telford last year...

box%20top.jpg

Seems a nice enough kit. Here is its entry in Scalemates:-

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/132280-hasegawa-51305-focke-wulf-fw190a-8-nacht-jaeger

However, while all the parts are there, the decal sheet showed some water damage:-

decals%20old.jpg

(This is, of course, something that often happens with old kits, including those purchased at the Kitswop)

So, I decided to use a set of decals from the stash - this is made by Karaya, and is one of a number illustrating captured FW 190's.

The particular set that I have concentrates on US captured versions, which after capture were used as "hacks" by various American airmen.

There is the link to the decal set (again from Scalemates):-

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/144451-karaya-d7206-captured-butcherbirds-vol-v

I intend to use one of the most colourful - a plane in bright red and yellow.

decals%201.jpg

While that one is an F-8, there are not too many differences from the A-8 (so far as I can see), so it should be fine.... (I have already done the

all-red version, which is an A-8, unfortunately using the "new-tool" Airfix kit, which turned out to be a bit of a disaster as the thing just wouldn't

go together too well...a familiar tale, I am told)

Anyhow, here are the usual sprue shots for the kit:-

sprue%203.jpg

sprue%202.jpg

sprue%201.jpg

I will make a start in the next couple of days

Thanks for looking,

Philip

• Like 4

Evening Philip. That is an excellent choice of subject very colourful. If you've not built the hasegawa 190 you'll find it goes together without much fuss. I'll be watching this one with interest.

Cheers Allan

I like that a lot!!! The only down side I can see is that you need a blown hood.

Cheers,

No worries, there is probably one in the stash somewhere. If all else fails, I have the Falcon clear-vax Luftwaffe set no. 5, which has both standard and blown canopies.

Thanks,

Philip

• Like 1

A little bit of progress.

Well, all of the sprues have been washed and dried to remove any residue, and the major bits removed from the sprue and cleaned up.

second%20sprue.jpg

first%20sprue.jpg

In the meantime, the various cockpit items and other bits and pieces have been given the once-over with Tamiya Nato Black, which

is my version of RLM 66.

work%20on%20nterior.jpg

The cockpit will need a bit more work before the Hasegawa cockpit decals are put on (there are three for the IP's). Then a light dry-brush

in grey, and some pin washing/weathering, before closing her up.....

Philip

• 1 month later...

Some progress at last.

The wings have been glued together, with the wheel wells painted in RLM 02 and then treated to a pin wash.  The wings were then given a fairly rough pre-shade.

pre%20shaded%20wing.jpg

Meanwhile, over in the fuselage, the various pieces of the cockpit were put together and painted.  Tamiya tape seat belts were added.

The decals for the cockpit (which were, it has to be said, very old), broke up in the water, and I only managed to save bits of the side ones.  The main IP worked OK, so that went on, but was supplemented by a couple of other bits from the spares folder.  Given that the cockpit is coloured black, and is very small (in 1/72nd), I suspect that not very much can be seen, so I think I will leave it at that.

cockpit.jpg

Here is the lot, lined up to be assembled:-

seatbelts%20on%20and%20ready%20for%20ass

I intend to get it all buttoned up and constructed within a week, so as to get on to the interesting phase for this particular aircraft, the colourful paint job!

More in a day or so.

Thanks for looking,

Philip

• Like 1

Nice to see some progress. I only ever build two Fw 190 (both 1:48) and invested quite a bit into the firsts cockpit. I was a bit dissapointed when I realized just how liitle can be seen after the fuselage is closed up. I would never ever invest in more PE than seatbelts here again - as said: In 1:48 :-)

Rene

• 4 weeks later...

Regrettably, have to bow out of this gb - real life, including the organisation of the IPMS Ireland Nationals (see link below), got in the way.  Congrats on all who have finished/will finish on time.

Philip