Rolls-Royce & Bentley Club Visit - FINISHED

wkennerley

So I have some HO scale Wiking and Praline Rolls-Royce and Bentleys that I have been wanting to display in a diorama in front of a Manor House or other interesting building.

I figured this GB may be a nice way of trying things out using a 9 x 3 inch or perhaps an 8 x 4.5 inch board - I have purchased a card building kit of a stone smithy that I can build into a low relief background with a car park in front of it and place the cars, and I have some unpainted figures on their way which I will put around the cars and possibly looking into the building with a bench or two and some trees, etc.

Whilst I wait for the building and figures here is a pic of the cars and one with two cars on a 9x4 base

Wayne

IMAG2284.jpgIMAG2285.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Wayne and welcome to the Vignette GB. This looks like something a little different. I look forward to following your progress. :thumbsup::popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

So the building kit arrived today, seems a bit small - I now noticed it says 3mm scale which I believe is one of the more accurate scales used. Makes this building more 1/100 than the 1/87 of the car - Oh well back to the drawing board (well eBay anyway!!) - Though I have some N gauge plastic card brick profile and perhaps some cardbaord brick patterns in the same scale, could build my own!

Wayne

IMAG2316.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Chimpion, I have had a look but the sort of building I want is rather pricy, esp when I am only going to use a 20mm depth of it as a backdrop - I have just started drawing up a basic building to make out of my brick sheet, will see how that turns out. When I do a larger diorama to fit all the cars (only 5 will fit this vignette) I will look for a Faller or similar building as I will use more of it

Wayne

IMAG2317.jpg

• Like 2

In railway speak 3mm is TT gauge (table top), never really caught on before the arrival of n gauge at 2mm.

If you don't fancy re-scaling, you could build it 'as is' and use AdrianMF's forced differential approach- see his Apollo recovery thread in this build.

Though it's just occurred to me that forced differential could be a very bad drive train of the sort not found in the cars in your build

Thanks Mjwomack, that is an idea, though I am not too sure how the forced perspective would work with the cars almost up against the building, usually you want an open space between the two scales to give an idea of space between them. I was at a military museum somewhere where they used forced perpective on their dioramas, it worked very well.

I have now drawn up an idea so will work with foam baord and my brick sheet, if it does not work I cam fall back on the 3mm stuff.

Wayne

IMAG2318.jpg

• Like 3

Starting to add the brick sheet, I have not glued the front face of The building to the rest as yet so that I can access both sides whilst putting in the window and door frames.

THen comes the hard work of making up the quions

Wayne

IMAG2321.jpg

• Like 3

FInally got a photo uploaded - This is two nights work, well not all night but an hour or so each night - Struggling with the curved quions on the arches,

damn just noticed an error on the window quoins they don't match the walls, Oh well I ain't changing them!!

Wayne

IMAG2326.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Wayne. I'm really hoping that you managed to get your project finished and we'll see some photos in the gallery before the end of play on Sunday.

Kind regards,

Stix