M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB Chat

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎03 at 7:10 PM, JackG said:

Hi Sarge, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I have a partially started Dragon kit from last year, but the fixes bogged it down.  At the time it was intended to be the Holy Roller, believed to be the only Sherman from the Canadian First Hussar's regiment to land on D-day and still be in combat service when the war ended in Europe.   So maybe I can take a stab at finishing this one.

regards,

Jack

I know this tank well, saw her in London Ontario (must have a hundred pics hiding somewhere!)  I like that she has solid spoke wheels on 1 side and spoked on the other.  Not sure if that's the result of repairs or just spares left over and put on her when she came back across the pond.  Should be a good subject.

• Like 1

Hi Jerry V, I too noticed Holy Roller's different road wheels, just looks odd that they are not intermixed both sides - possibly arranged that way post war by by the museum?   Covering some 2,500 miles in almost two years undoubtedly wore out the rubber, and I recall reading it did suffer some damage when hit by an AT round on the port side. 

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

May I make a plee?  From my earlier post you may know that the tank I plan to build id a Wiltshire Yeomanry Sherman Mk111 it is the Dragon kit 6313.  As I live in Highworth I plan to build the tank with that name, unfortunately the letter H appears too often in HigHwortH for decal sheets to vope with!  If any body has the same kit and can spare any Hs I would be most grateful.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I walked past a £20 Dragon 1/35 Sherman Ill at the middle wallop show, still haven't stopped kicking myself.:wall:

Just as well, unless funds are an issue, better off treating yourself with an ASUKA Sherman kit.

regards,

Jack

On 22 November 2016 at 21:12, JackG said:

Just as well, unless funds are an issue, better off treating yourself with an ASUKA Sherman kit.

regards,

Jack

I've got a bit of time now to look for a Sherman lll, Tasca/ Asuka somthing to look forward to build in 2018.

Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on an Asuka  kit.  Didn't want to expand the stash, but least now I can see first hand how this brand goes together.  Found  HLJ had the best prices, and picked up the Sherman V (M4A4).

tac35016_0.jpg?v=0000000001

regards,

Jack

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This is will be my entry, I built there VC kit when they first came out and were called Tasca. A very nice build it was to, especially the bogie arrangements. I just need to source the black dog scrim set and I will be ready for 31st Dec 17.

40fe01f0e38458e7a37ac4f1ffccdcb4_zpsja0i

• Like 2

Ozzy, look forward to that one.

I've recently read on another forum some issue with quality control with the newer Asuka kits.  Yours should be ok as it is a rebox of Tasca, but did you notice any extra flash or sink marks?

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackG said:

Ozzy, look forward to that one.

I've recently read on another forum some issue with quality control with the newer Asuka kits.  Yours should be ok as it is a rebox of Tasca, but did you notice any extra flash or sink marks?

regards,

Jack

Thanks for the heads Jack, I will have the kit in my hands in January so will let you know. Their VC kit went together like a dream, I do like the bogie configuration with the sponge element. The tracks aren't to bad either.

Regards,

ozzy

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

If this is still on, you can count me in, as I just doubled the number of Dragon British Shermans (for which spellcheck is suggesting Germans, ironically!) on the shelf. Jadlam just got the El Alamein in for £26. The two provisos are that I remember about this as far away as January, and that one of them remains unbuilt by then. Neither will be easy. The other's a Mk.III with Bison decals for the NZ 20th at Cassino in '44, and that will no doubt be done sooner than the GB.

• Like 1