M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB Chat

On 31/12/2017 at 5:09 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ok Im thinking of black basing this paint scheme. That will be a first for me as well. I’ve seen it done online and in photo’s. Any tips from someone thats actually done a paint job on a tank this way ? 

Just realised that I never actually posted my reply to this.....Sorry dude!  :sorry:

I almost always black-base my models (1/72), main consideration for the undercoat is good coverage, make sure you get everything.  I then do something that resembles crude pre-shading using various muddy colours, concentrated around the running gear and any other hard to get to areas, it's also worth shooting a few patches on the horizontal surfaces and around raised details too as they can help to create the impression of ground in dust & grime (I think of this process as 'pre-weathering').

After that it's simply a matter of spraying your base colour (I'm betting OD will be a popular candidate here) and allowing the black/muddy colours to shine through to varying degrees in various locations.....The advantage of the 'pre-weathering' becomes apparent here as you'll find that the places where it's hardest to spray your base colour tend to also be the places where grime accumulates on a tank.  To give your base colour some depth, mix a couple of increasing lighter shades of the colour (I usually add Buff to my mix to lighten it) and mist them on semi-randomly obviously concentrating to some extent on the upper surfaces and raised detail.

HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A couple of dumb questions (just to prove I know nothing about Shermans).  I wish to pose my Sherman III with the commanders hatch open, I assume the periscope (indirect vision!) would be dismounted?  Second dumb question, the commanders hatches, can the mounting be rotated such that the doors open fore and aft rather than side to side, on the same lines, if so it would allow the Browning machine gun to cover different fields of fire.  Thanks - please don’t beat me up over this!  I shall probably have more dumb questions as my build progresses.

36 minutes ago, TeeELL said:

A couple of dumb questions (just to prove I know nothing about Shermans).  I wish to pose my Sherman III with the commanders hatch open, I assume the periscope (indirect vision!) would be dismounted?  Second dumb question, the commanders hatches, can the mounting be rotated such that the doors open fore and aft rather than side to side, on the same lines, if so it would allow the Browning machine gun to cover different fields of fire.  Thanks - please don’t beat me up over this!  I shall probably have more dumb questions as my build progresses.

The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.

Periscope could be mounted or not. The housing would be there regardless.

If you're talking about the early twin hatch arrangement then yes, the whole lot rotated so hatches and gun can be aligned in any direction. The later US all round vision cupola was bolted down with only the centre of the single hatch rotating. 

SleeperService, thank you.  I have just looked through my photo collection and the answer was in there as various photos of the RWY Shermans have the hatch doors (or rather the gap) angled towards the photographer (HIGHWORTH in particular)!!.

• Like 1

Ok Question here Ozzy mentions putting air recognition roundels on his Sherman. Does anyone know if the Achilles wore them as well ? I presume these would be on the engine deck or turret top of a tank ? I have plenty of roundels in my decals since this is 1/48th scale. Just need to know if i should use one ? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ok Question here Ozzy mentions putting air recognition roundels on his Sherman. Does anyone know if the Achilles wore them as well ? I presume these would be on the engine deck or turret top of a tank ? I have plenty of roundels in my decals since this is 1/48th scale. Just need to know if i should use one ? 

I believe it was just an 8th Army thing, as it was a mainly British/ Comonwelth affair in North Africa at that time. In Italy and NWE the White Star was used as that envolved a few allied nations, 

• Thanks 1

Many might be familiar with Mike Starmer and his study of British vehicle paints, but here is a direct quote about the air recognition roundel:

This roundel marking was first introduced by GHQ MEF in June 1942 for equipment of 8th and 9th armies in the desert. It continued in use throughout the Sicily and Italian campaigns although officially replaced by the white star in April 1944 it could still be seen well into 1945 on older equipment. The roundel was specified as to be 2ft 7in radius , a central disc of 10in diameter with blue and white rings each of 10in wide and an outer yellow ring of 6in width. Where the vehicle or area to which this mark was to be applied was too small for this optimum size, then it should be painted as large as possible and in the same ratios. Due to a possible lack of yellow paint then the marking was to be applied leaving sufficient room for the yellow to be applied at a later date.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/thread/1078625808

regards,

Jack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hey everyone yet another question for the achilles experten. Im planning on trying to add some interior turret bits. Im going for the 17 pounders sight on the right side of the turret. I have photo’s of both the actual sight. That and this achilles with the stepped blade ( Sherman style) G6UmbVW.jpgsight outside the fighting compartment. Its on the forward right of the turret exterior. My big question is I’ve found conflicting info as to wether or not the achilles or the M10 in general had a co-axial MG next to the gun in the turret. This one does but its a restored example and i dont think theres A.) enough room for the ammunition. and B.) i thought the opening on the left is for sighting purposes ? 

A question for @Enzo Matrix if I may,

I'm sure you are aware that there's a few of us who are going to present our finished M3/M4s in suitable dioramas. I can speak for myself and @Meteors in saying that we are building those dioramas within the GB time-window, but a question I forgot to ask prior to the GB starting is:

Should we include the diorama WIP in the M3/M4 WIP, or post the diorama WIP in the Dioramas forum only?

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder. I agree with Ozzy. I usually make most of my  vignette/diorama bases in GBs so I don't see a problem with you doing yours here. If I get time I might do a small base/scene for mine too.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve never built anything other than aircraft but il be watching this GB to see how they come together. Steve’s link makes me want to build a couple of these at least. This might b another dumb question but how big do tank models build up to compared to say a 1/72 WWII aircraft, are they same scale relatively or are 1/72 tank models tiny? Ie would you display a 1/72 tank beside a 1/72 aircraft? 

Thanks and good luck with GB everyone..

56 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I’ve never built anything other than aircraft but il be watching this GB to see how they come together. Steve’s link makes me want to build a couple of these at least. This might b another dumb question but how big do tank models build up to compared to say a 1/72 WWII aircraft, are they same scale relatively or are 1/72 tank models tiny? Ie would you display a 1/72 tank beside a 1/72 aircraft? 

Thanks and good luck with GB everyone..

At any given scale, a WW2 medium tank, such as the M3/M4 series, will take up about 1/3 to 1/2  of the shelf space of a contemporary single engine fighter, the lack of too many "sticky outy" bits keeps the space requirements down to a minimum. It's also easier too repair/ correct mistakes in armour models, just cover them in mud/stowage!

I am looking at a 1/48 T34/85,  sat on a 7" x 5" scenic base, and it has room for 5 figures, a path, and a tree as well.

Edited by bull-nut
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Bull, that was the kind of answer I was looking for from my over worded question, glad you knew what I was getting at. Looking at the builds so far, they look complicated but il stick with watching as nothing looks better finished than a model piece of armour.

2 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

question but how big do tank models build up to compared to say a 1/72 WWII aircraft, are they same scale relatively or are 1/72 tank models tiny? Ie would you display a 1/72 tank beside a 1/72 aircraft? 

Hi Valkyrie,

Yes, as the scale ratio suggests, 1/72nd aircraft and 1/72nd tanks are the same scale.:D What that means is, a pilot from a 1/72 aircraft could bale out, land and climb into a waiting 1/72 tank, and fit perfectly. (well, as perfectly as anyone could fit a tank... he'd still bang his head on SOMETHING) 

Likewise a 1/350th scale aircraft carrier could be displayed with 1/350th scale Roman soldiers parading on the deck They'd look a bit odd, but they'd look to be the right size.

Hope that helps?

Rearguards

Badder

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Thanks Badder, this was what I meant. I was looking at maybe dabbling in a tank but the 1/72s looked tiny in the pics and got me thinking..

No probs.

1/72nd tanks are too small for my liking. I know 1/48th AFVs are quite popular now, thanks to Tamiya, but even they are too small for me.

I much prefer 1/35th because the level of detail is higher, and my duff fingers and eyes can just about cope with even the smallest parts (tweezers etc may be required)

But if you're thinking of a diorama with a tank and an aircraft or something, 1/72nd is a good scale, not taking up too much space. So good luck if you are, and don't forget to post your WIP in the dioramas forum!

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 1

Hi Sarge, thanks for the warning, a silly question, when the assembly of the kit begins, I imagine that it is already "open the hunting", where I include the progress, or only published when it is finished? ... :huh:

Cheers mate :D

• Like 1