M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB Chat

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Quick question for everyone since this is my first armor build in two years. I don't have access to any of my old books. I need an opinion in an open topped vehicle like the Achilles would the interior under the open turret still be white ? Or would it match the exterior Camouflage ? 

There is a good photo looking into the top of an Achilles in my copy of 'British tanks in Normandy' which suggests the inside of the turret was left Olive Drab, the lower hull was white (very weathered!). Some interior stowage bins and fittings would be OD as well. There are no interesting schemes in either this book or the 'Tank Power' book, just overall green (SCC2 or whatever the late war british green was?) . One vehicle has that white disruption scheme on the 17pdr to fore-shorten it seen on a lot of Firefly's. Hope this helps.

Davey.

• Thanks 1

I'm not that familiar with the M10, but in British service they would remain in American olive drab finish.   The Achilles was an up-gunned version with the 17-pdr, these could very well have been repainted in SCC15 - or maybe just a partial repaint? 

Looking at period photos, standard finish appears to be a single overall colour, though artwork from both books and model kits would have you think otherwise?

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JackG said:

I'm not that familiar with the M10, but in British service they would remain in American olive drab finish.   The Achilles was an up-gunned version with the 17-pdr, these could very well have been repainted in SCC15 - or maybe just a partial repaint? 

Looking at period photos, standard finish appears to be a single overall colour, though artwork from both books and model kits would have you think otherwise?

regards,

Jack

After major overhaul/rework the instructions were to completely repaint the vehicle. I expect this would be adhered to rigidly. M10 would certainly be Olive Drab regardless. As the 17pdrs were converted late they would all be SCC.15 as you state. In British service, at least, the turret interior was green, the hull below the trackguards would be white with dark coloured floor, possibly OD. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Essentially the SCC15 when new, would be very close to the American olive drab.  Only after exposed to the elements would the difference be more noted.  I have seen it stated that the British paint would gain a more green hue, while it's American counterpart fades toward brown?

Starmer's Tamiya mix:

5 parts XF81

1 part XF58

1 part XF71

... and this is what my results look like, taking into consideration screen settings, lighting, etc.  First pic was the initial coat, middle pic has some colour filters, and last one has the works thrown at it.

10483005085_fc9ac7fbd8_c.jpg

10655977953_d0cc5eb618_c.jpg

11177928863_16b21471de_c.jpg

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Quick question folk's,I'm enjoying a few Matchbox armour builds over in the on-going GB right now would their or Revell's re-box

ofthe Priest be eligable for this GB?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Quick question folk's,I'm enjoying a few Matchbox armour builds over in the on-going GB right now would their or Revell's re-box

ofthe Priest be eligable for this GB?

You've produced some lovely builds in that GB Steve, a Matchbox/ Revell priest would definitely be welcome.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Anyone doing a Tamiya kit in 1/48th and they'd like something different, have a look at MR Modellbau site. They do a few bits and pieces such as very early VVSS and T-51 rubber block tracks.

John.

Thanks!

Interesting how much there actually is available!

http://www.mrmodellbau.com/_shop/index.php?cPath=45_83

Mabe a bit too much gor a newbe though ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JackG said:

Sleeper, thank you for confirming the SCC15 repaint for the Achilles.  Would the entire repaint be correct for the Firefly as well?

regards,

Jack

Hi Jack

Yes it would. Except for those built in the US for the US Army in Europe (but never issued AFAIK).

I can confirm Bonhoff's alternative mix as well. That was discovered by my good friend @Shermaniac

For those interested in alternative bits there's also Friendship Models who do some nice stuff. I have a fair bit of it. He also has the Fighting 48 track set masters if you want to give him a nudge about getting them on the market :idea:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

There is a good photo looking into the top of an Achilles in my copy of 'British tanks in Normandy' which suggests the inside of the turret was left Olive Drab, the lower hull was white (very weathered!). Some interior stowage bins and fittings would be OD as well. There are no interesting schemes in either this book or the 'Tank Power' book, just overall green (SCC2 or whatever the late war british green was?) . One vehicle has that white disruption scheme on the 17pdr to fore-shorten it seen on a lot of Firefly's. Hope this helps.

Davey.

On the subject of M10s and in fact most opened US AFVs, such as the M8/M20 armoured cars the interior of the hull was overall gloss white with the floors visible from above painted olive drab. Open turrets were OD inside and out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

You've produced some lovely builds in that GB Steve, a Matchbox/ Revell priest would definitely be welcome.

Many thank's Ozzy I think for a start we'll go with that,after looking around I'm very tempted to give Heller's kit a go in both form's the smaller scale

is a more sensible as thanks to the BM massive's voting I'm interested in just about every damn GB for the year!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Many thank's Ozzy I think for a start we'll go with that,after looking around I'm very tempted to give Heller's kit a go in both form's the smaller scale

is a more sensible as thanks to the BM massive's voting I'm interested in just about every damn GB for the year!

I know what you mean about which GB's to take part in this year, I'm wondering what to do too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, exdraken said:
On 12/30/2017 at 5:22 AM, Bullbasket said:

Anyone doing a Tamiya kit in 1/48th and they'd like something different, have a look at MR Modellbau site. They do a few bits and pieces such as very early VVSS and T-51 rubber block tracks.

John.

Thanks!

Interesting how much there actually is available!

http://www.mrmodellbau.com/_shop/index.php?cPath=45_83

Mabe a bit too much gor a newbe though ;)

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely catalogue this for future reference. 

• Like 1

The Sarge's celebrations have begun (I can feel the coherency of my posts deteriorating and I'm having to edit everything three times regardless), I don't really do Christmas, but I do new-year kinda big-style, so I'll be signing off now!  :bye:

I'll try to pop back later, but in case I don't make it.....A very happy new-year to you all!  :cheers:  It's a genuine pleasure to know you guys.  :coolio:

• Like 6

A big thank-you to the mods for hosting this GB. I have a small crop of M3 and M4 mediums in my stash, and am thrilled to participate. My first entry is Takom's M3 Lee, and if time permits, I'll see about sneaking in a sherman later. 

Woohoo! 

• Like 4