M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB Chat

Rules are up.....I edited Enzo's post rather than making a new one.  :coolio:

That kit looks a bit beyond 25% to me, but I hate to say no to a Sherman.....Best I can suggest is that if you were to start work on another Sherman build (any kit or scale would do) I'd be happy to have you include that one in your build thread alongside it, but it should not be included in the final gallery (I'm considering doing something similar as I have a few complete Shermans that need painting in the same scheme as the ones I'll be building, I'll show them in my build thread, but not in my gallery shots).

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Fantastic looking Firefly Blitz23, until @Sgt.Squarehead posts the rules for the GB you will have a clearer idea. I think we are going for the 25% rule, which means it's got to be less than 25% started. By all means come and join us with a new kit and perhaps you could build the firefly in the background.

regards

ozzy

Yeah I figured Ozzy, thought I'd ask the question just in case.  If I can't then I might get a 1/72 kit for a quick build as I have large collection of 1/72 diecast tanks, as well as a small number I've built myself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Rules are up.....I edited Enzo's post rather than making a new one.  :coolio:

That kit looks a bit beyond 25% to me, but I hate to say no to a Sherman.....Best I can suggest is that if you were to start work on another Sherman (any kit or scale would do) build I'd be happy to have you include that one in your build thread alongside it, but it should not be included in the gallery (I'm considering doing something similar as I have a few complete Shermans that need painting in the same scheme as the ones I'll be building, I'll show them in my build thread, but not in my gallery shots).

Yeah I thought as much, I might just do that then.  Hopefully it will give me the motivation to get her finished!

1 minute ago, Blitz23 said:

Yeah I figured Ozzy, thought I'd ask the question just in case.  If I can't then I might get a 1/72 kit for a quick build as I have large collection of 1/72 diecast tanks, as well as a small number I've built myself.

There are definitely lots of 1/72 kits to choose from, in all manner of configurations.

• Like 1

I'd love to see it finished, but we have to be absolutely fair for the gallery vote (as I said I may well be doing something similar). 

If you are going 1/72, I'd strongly recommend the Heller kits.....Unless you want an M4A1 (Dragon is best but it'll cost you, if you can find one!), M4A3 (Dragon is best but it'll cost you, if you can find one!), or M4A4 (Dragon is best but it'll cost you, if you can find one!).  UM offer kits of all the latter types, but they do need some work as you'll see when I start mine.  Trumpeter do a few decent Shermans, but avoid their M4 like the plague (TBH if you want an M4 or M4A2 it has to be the Heller kits, they are just better than the Dragon offerings).  :nerd:

• Like 1

Just occured to me.....If any of you guys do decide to go for a Heller M4 based on my comments, make sure you get this kit:

614852.jpg

There is an older kit which is actually a reboxing of the ancient Airfix thing.....This WILL lead to disappointent!  :(

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Is it not tomorrow?? :(

Indeed it is.  I think the Sarge is considering this as a 2018 GB - which indeed it is - but it does start on Saturday 30 December

• Like 2

Quick question for everyone since this is my first armor build in two years. I don't have access to any of my old books. I need an opinion in an open topped vehicle like the Achilles would the interior under the open turret still be white ? Or would it match the exterior Camouflage ? 

11 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Just occured to me.....If any of you guys do decide to go for a Heller M4 based on my comments,

There is an older kit which is actually a reboxing of the ancient Airfix thing.....This WILL lead to disappointent!  :(

If anyone's looking for the the above new(er) Heller kit, atm this is on special offer at creative models, £5.84 (+2.50 P&P)

http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/heller_172_sherman-p-34257.html

I was planning to buy this from creative until my model funds took an ebay detour ... :huh:

54 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I need an opinion in an open topped vehicle like the Achilles would the interior under the open turret still be white ? Or would it match the exterior Camouflage ? 

Hi Dennis,

I think the M10 / Achilles has an OG inner turret with the drivers / co drivers compartment in white..

HTH

Plasto

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, exdraken said:

I have a Tamiya M4 Sherman Early Production or a M10, both in 1/48...

not much experience though in AFV!

....should I join.....???

After all the help you've offered me it will be nice to get a chance to pay some back. First comments are;

Early Sherman, proceed very carefully fitting plastic to the metal hull. The glue can throw off the fit. It seems that the kit was designed around an unpainted hull casting. I use an Olfa cutter to cut grooves in the plastic then run thin superglue down them once the plastic is in position.

M10, put a thick bulkhead in at the rear of the fighting compartment to stop the hull sides bowing in later which they WILL definitely do.

14 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Just occured to me.....If any of you guys do decide to go for a Heller M4 based on my comments, make sure you get this kit:

614852.jpg

I hope people read this before purchasing based on my earlier post :oops:I totally forgot (deliberately erased) that fun fact.

13 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

By god sir, you are quite right!  :doh:

Post corrected, thank god somebody knows what's going on!   :oops:

Rumours of competence are greatly exaggerated....

12 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Don't kid yourself.  This is Britmodeller.  No one knows what's going on...   :fool:  

Wot Enzo said!

12 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Need emergency help with recommendations for an image hosting site.....IMGUR is playing up something awful!  :wall:

I've been using Tumblr as my backup recently. Easy to use and free. Just ensure you link to the actual image NOT the post or your models will be really tiny.

• Thanks 1

On 28/12/2017 at 3:44 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I have a Tamiya 1/48th M10 Achilles IIC that i will be building. I am looking for camouflage patterns and some basic information. I have the northern France kit markings. I have found IDF Camouflage for the type. If anyone knows of Italian theater or possibly british use in Greece in 1944 or 1945 ? Also were these used in Korea and the camouflage they would have worn? Please PM me or get a hold of me. Thank you in advance.

Dennis

Star Decals do some decals for Italian Theatre M10 Achilles, However I am not sure whether they are available in 1/48th Scale. Despite Tamiya trying to kit start a market in 1/48 AFV kits, aftermarket is quite thin on the ground.

Edited by Threadbear
  • Thanks 1

Anyone doing a Tamiya kit in 1/48th and they'd like something different, have a look at MR Modellbau site. They do a few bits and pieces such as very early VVSS and T-51 rubber block tracks.

John.

• Thanks 1

It is a difficult decision to choose what to build for the GB.  In my stash I have the following (all in 1/35th scale):-

Academy M12 155mm SPG  (but it comes with T49 track that should really be replaced)

Academy M36

Academy M7 Priest

Revell M4A3 Calliope  (quite basic but I do like "funnies")

Dragon M-51 Isherman

Tasca M4A3E8 (Korean War)

Tamiya M10 (recent release)

Tasca Sherman II

Takom M3 Grant

My first choice was going to be the M12 until I realised it had the wrong track type. However having just dug out the M36 I see it has the correct type of M51 track I need for the M12. Since I want to do a Korean War M36 at some stage and references show them having steel chevron tracks I think I can safely do the M12 with correct tracks and worry about sourcing the correct type for the M36 at a later date.

So first up will be the Academy M12 155mm GMC.

(It took me 5 minutes to write the above but I have been up since 5.30am looking to try and find replacement tracks for the M12 on the internet and had just about given up and decided to do the M10 instead when I happened to look at the M36 kit.  If only I had looked there first I could have been half way through the build by now!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1