M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB Chat

7 hours ago, Badder said:

I stayed up late so I could be straight in on the poll, only it's still locked! :hmmm:

Rearguards,

Badder

I put the thread on a timer thinking the poll would also open, I know for next time that It doesn't. Voting now open.

• Haha 1

This was my first full GB but unfortunately i did not get the Sexton finished in time due to a change in job roles holiday and real life getting in the way :rage:;)

this will not stop me going for another GB i will finish the build and diorama i had planned

just to say thanks to the hosts for a great GB and to everyone a big  :yes: for all the fantastic builds on display I have learnt a few new things from all the builds

So well done to ALL

beefy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beefy66 said:

This was my first full GB but unfortunately i did not get the Sexton finished in time due to a change in job roles holiday and real life getting in the way :rage:;)

this will not stop me going for another GB i will finish the build and diorama i had planned

just to say thanks to the hosts for a great GB and to everyone a big  :yes: for all the fantastic builds on display I have learnt a few new things from all the builds

So well done to ALL

beefy

Good to have you along beefy, I hate it when life gets in the way of modelling. I look forward to seeing your dio, there are some nice GB's coming up. My next one is the MTO II, see you there?

Whilst I didn’t complete my M10 and congratulations to those who did, I enjoyed my initial interaction with fellow modellers on all things M4. I think as an experienced armour modeller that 13 weeks is a bit tight when building a tank. But that’s my own opinion and you have to rake other GBs into consideration. I have to say, being involved in a STGB over on FB, that was far too regimented and that quite quickly put me off the build. The host even published the percentage who dropped out! 

• Sad 1

I thouroughly enjoyed this GB, more so than the only other one I entered, the 'vignette' GB. I left it really late (I think with one month left of three) and I was still painting the figures with 10 mins to go before the deadline. Talk about time pressure! Unfortunately, my internet connection was rubbish and I couldn't upload the photos in time. Luckily, the moderators were very generous in allowing me to upload them AFTER the deadline. If memory serves me correct, I didn't get a single vote. But hey.

For this GB, I had the full 'term', but even then I didn't get the thing finished! I think I spent more time trying to make a good job of the Tamiya US Tank Crew set, than I did the Sherman itself. I scrapped 2 sets of figures, the Tamiya one and a MiniArt set, and came close to scrapping the replacement Tamiya crew. They still need some work on them. Is it just me or are those 4 part tanker's helmets a right pain? Oh, and if you do a good job you're likely to ruin them when putting the goggles on!

And even the Sherman isn't quite finished.

I empathise fully with those who never got theirs completed on time, but I'm looking forward to seeing the finished articles in the RFI section. There were some very interesting vehicles/projects going on!

Anyway, I got my vote in.  It was a really hard decision, choosing which one to vote for. There were 3 which stood out as being 'extra' superb in my eyes and it's a shame we don't get to vote for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. It seems to me that when there's a bunch of real contenders for 1st place, the votes will either spread out across the top three, making for a very close vote, or that one with the very slight edge will get all of the votes while the next best could even get nil points!

Badder

• Like 1

Still sticking stowage bits onto my own trio, bit embarassed by my falure to finish TBH, but at least I'm modelling again, if a little less regularly and successfully than I'd perhaps like.  :unsure:

Congratulations to those of you who did finish their builds, you've created a truly splendid gallery in honour of the humble & often unappreciated Sherman (and its even less loved elder brothers Lee & Grant).  :coolio:

Big thanks to all the Sherman experts who shared their knowledge so freely here, we've all learned something new in this GB, of that I'm sure.....I also hope the process has generated a new interest and appreciation for the type amongst those of you who were less familiar with it at the start of the GB.  :nerd:

Cheers!  :goodjob:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Not finished (again) in a GB but this time it wasn't down to poor time management :D

There are some great projects on the go and the gallery has plenty of excellent models. Well Done to you all, everybody is a winner if you've enjoyed it or learned something useful.

BOT but has anybody had a trapped nerve and if so how long did it take to clear? 5 weeks of physiotherapy and it's improving slowly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

The Gallery is looking fantastic there have been some lovely builds, that made it to the gallery there are also some lovely builds that are still in progress. Hope the trap nerve eases soon.

• Like 2

On 02/04/2018 at 10:40 PM, Threadbear said:

Whilst I didn’t complete my M10 and congratulations to those who did, I enjoyed my initial interaction with fellow modellers on all things M4. I think as an experienced armour modeller that 13 weeks is a bit tight when building a tank. But that’s my own opinion and you have to rake other GBs into consideration. I have to say, being involved in a STGB over on FB, that was far too regimented and that quite quickly put me off the build. The host even published the percentage who dropped out! 

On the earlier subject of voting for the models in a group build, take a look at this copied and pasted off FB.........

“Hello Chaps,

A Voting Update.

It's now exactly 24 hours since the video was posted on here and on YouTube, and so far, out of the 166 confirmed entrants to this event, I have received votes from 16 people, only, which is slightly less than 10%.
Of the 72 builders that completed their builds, this represents 22.22% of you that have voted so far.

We still have until midnight Tuesday, April 10th to vote, which is more than 2 days left for our USA, South American, UK and European builders.

Hope to see more votes....

Should I introduce a new rule....if you don't vote, your build/builds become void from a chance to win a prize? That might sound harsh, but it introduces fairness for team spirit; should you expect to be voted for, when you haven't made the effort to vote your self?

I'll take a vote on that rule suggestion. :P”

Opinions please. 

10 hours ago, Threadbear said:

Should I introduce a new rule....if you don't vote, your build/builds become void from a chance to win a prize?

Yeah, I'd go for that. It does seem strange to post your finished GB and not vote, but each to their own I suppose

BTW, thanks to you, Ozzy and Sgt Squarehead for running the GB

some people just do not drop by every week automatically to terminated GB in order to see if voting was possible already!....

and not ALL GB votes are open immediately after the GB like this one either......

maybe some voting reminder would be nice!

just like the GB calender mail we are getting!

• Like 2

On 4/9/2018 at 3:00 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The rules are the rules and they ain't changing, this is BM not FB.  :nono:

I posted because I thought the rules over on FB were draconian, not because I approve of them! 

• Like 2

I know fella, I quite agree too.....This is supposed to be fun, not a ****ing Sherman factory!  :rolleyes:

Little tip when quoting from other sites, after copying & pasting the text add this at the beginning: [ q u o t e ] and this at the end: [ / q u o t e ] (but without the extra spaces I've included).....This will put the text into the usual BM 'quote box'.  :coolio:

• Like 1

On 08/04/2018 at 10:53 AM, SleeperService said:

BOT but has anybody had a trapped nerve and if so how long did it take to clear? 5 weeks of physiotherapy and it's improving slowly.

, 12 weeks off work with a slipped disc, but I rested the whole time, did no physio, took no pain killers .I believe evolution invented pain to stop you doing whatever it is that's causing that pain. So if your back locks up and it hurts to move, REST IT until all the swelling has gone down and everything has healed . Exercising and taking pills to kill the pain may actually cause more damage. That's my opinion anyway

• Like 1

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:53, SleeperService said:

You probably won't like to hear this Nick, but my wife suffered an excruciating trapped nerve about 20 years ago. After being taken to hospital, strapped to a board, she was released and had to undergo physio for a few weeks. It gradually improved, but it left her vulnerable to the nerve getting trapped again. She has to be extremely careful now.

Still, on the bright side, it meant that she couldn't carry on being a hod carrier anymore.:lol:

John.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yep. You ran a good First Ever Armour GB! Sorry I blobbed but I have voted (after much mind changing).

About the shoulder Thanks for sharing l feel for your wife being unable to hod-carry anymore :D Bullbasket. That's what they're telling me as well Badder. I'm starting to get feeling back in two fingers and my thumb and the pain is certainly better. I'm not going to risk anything yet though.

• Like 3

On 08/04/2018 at 19:53, SleeperService said:

I had a herniated disc that was impinging the nerve and causing incredible sciatic pain all down my left leg. It was a mixture of intense burning, aching, and pins and needles. I couldn’t stand for more than about 20 seconds before it started up. 

I tried physio, osteo, pills, steroid epidurals, nothing worked. After 6 months, and with a second baby on the way, I underwent a surgery called a microdiscectomy where they chisel off part of your disc in order to relieve the pressure on the nerve. 

Amazingly it worked, and after five weeks I was slowly recovering from the surgery, but the pain in my left leg was all gone. It was great, baby was born and things were looking lovely.

When she was ten days old the same pain started up in my right leg this time.

Three months later and nothing has worked once again. I’m now seriously considering having the same surgery for the right side as I’ve now spent almost a year living with utter crippling pain, and it’s doing my head in.

BUT, I’d did finish my Sherman in the first ever Brit Modeller armour Group Build, so it’s not all bad!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Thanks Badder, for all your efforts with this STGB, and those of your helpers. Sorry I couldn't finish anything. I voted a few days ago though.

John.

John, I just entered and took part. I played no part in the running of the STGB, although I've done a tiny bit by trying to encourage voting. It's a shame not everyone managed to finish their models by the deadline, but work continues and hopefully we'll all get to see the finished articles!

I myself am nearing the 'end' of my Sherman build, but still have the figures to do. I expect that'll take another fortnight!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Badder said:

John, I just entered and took part. I played no part in the running of the STGB, although I've done a tiny bit by trying to encourage voting

Obviously, it's not just Specsavers that I should have gone to!!:o

John.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2