M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB Chat

Hi guys, a Sherman kit question

When I put my name down for this GB I was hoping 'life' would have sorted itself out by the time the GB started but that hasn't happened. As I committed to the GB, I want to take part but the kit needs to be simple (ie fast to build) ... and cheap :)

I've set £10 (inc P&P) as my limit so that rules out 35th and 48th (unless someone wants to offload a cheap sherman kit). I don't know enough about 72nd/76th Shermans to know what's the best option, the Heller M4A2 is more than £10 so that rules it out. That seems to leave me with  Armourfast and Plastic Soldier Company, I know they're basic kits but which is the better range?

TIA

Neil

1 hour ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

When I put my name down for this GB I was hoping 'life' would have sorted itself out by the time the GB started but that hasn't happened. As I committed to the GB, I want to take part but the kit needs to be simple (ie fast to build) ... and cheap :)

I've set £10 (inc P&P) as my limit

TIA

Neil

The Heller Sherman is HERE for £10.99 delivered. I can't advise on the other two but this is a great kit and very good value for money. The Airfix Sherman can be had cheaply and removing the bolted nose detail leaves an acceptable cast nose behind. The Airfix turret is way too small but there are several turretless options open. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

I've set £10 (inc P&P) as my limit so that rules out 35th and 48th (unless someone wants to offload a cheap sherman kit). I don't know enough about 72nd/76th Shermans to know what's the best option, the Heller M4A2 is more than £10 so that rules it out. That seems to leave me with  Armourfast and Plastic Soldier Company, I know they're basic kits but which is the better range?

TIA

Neil

The PSC Shermans are a mixed bag, but the firefly/brit versions can be built into very convincing models.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

The Heller Sherman is HERE for £10.99 delivered.

Thanks for the link. I have to be brutal about the price otherwise mission (price) creep slips in. If I want something else from amazon I might be able be able to make the post free £20  limit and get it for £9 :)

Turretles shermans ... hmm ...  :hmmm:

I shall throw a tentative hat into the arena.

A first ever Group Build.

Ulp!

I have a Tamiya 1/48 M4A1 which, in keeping with my 1/48th mojo I would like to model as a Western Desert example. I have bought some upgrades and I hope by joining this GB I will not just make a start but push through to a finish in something that approaches a walking pace (unlike my usual glacial progress...

On 11/12/2017 at 08:42, Foghorn Leghorn said:

That seems to leave me with  Armourfast and Plastic Soldier Company, I know they're basic kits but which is the better range?

Plastic Soldier Company!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rumblestripe said:

I shall throw a tentative hat into the arena.

A first ever Group Build.

Ulp!

:welcome: to the wonderful world of groupbuilds.    You're gonna love it! :D 

• Like 1

Hi Sarge,

Having not sat at my bench for almost 6 months, I was thinking what better way to get back into the space than a Group Build for the new year. Just wondering if the following would qualify?

39154131941_dd7057cb97_z.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Having not sat at my bench for almost 6 months, I was thinking what better way to get back into the space than a Group Build for the new year. Just wondering if the following would qualify?

Hi Nigel! Great to see you back around here again. Hope you are well and I look forward to seeing what you do with your Sherman.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Nigel! Great to see you back around here again. Hope you are well and I look forward to seeing what you do with your Sherman.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hey Stix - Very well thanks. Hope the same with you.

This kit looks a bit of fun so thought it would be a nice choice for entering. Fingers crossed it comes out OK. Looking forward to getting back to the bench in a couple of weeks :)

Merry Christmas to you and yours  (and anyone else reading this post)  :santa::santa:

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 1

Don't know if anyone's aware but it would appear that the Haynes Manual for the Sherman is available from The Works for a poorly octopus*

Got my copy from the Loughborough branch but possible that they're available online too. Some seriously inspiring pictures of all sorts of weird and wonderful prototypes in there.

*Poorly Octopus = Sick Squid

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Don't know if anyone's aware but it would appear that the Haynes Manual for the Sherman is available from The Works for a poorly octopus*

Got my copy from the Loughborough branch but possible that they're available online too. Some seriously inspiring pictures of all sorts of weird and wonderful prototypes in there.

*Poorly Octopus = Sick Squid

Hi Bonhoff. There was a post a while back mentioning about the Works and in fact you can get the Tiger and Chieftain manuals for the same price as well. I picked all three from the Leicester branch. They are still being advertised on their website. They are this year’s reprints too.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Hey Stix - Very well thanks. Hope the same with you.

This kit looks a bit of fun so thought it would be a nice choice for entering. Fingers crossed it comes out OK. Looking forward to getting back to the bench in a couple of weeks :)

Merry Christmas to you and yours  (and anyone else reading this post)  :santa::santa:

Cheers

Nigel

Hi Nigel. Yes I am well thank you and I'm pleased you are. I hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas too. Got any new plastic arriving over the festive period?

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Nigel. Yes I am well thank you and I'm pleased you are. I hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas too. Got any new plastic arriving over the festive period?

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix :) No new plastic that I'm aware of so may have to treat myself in the upcoming sales ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Bonhoff. There was a post a while back mentioning about the Works and in fact you can get the Tiger and Chieftain manuals for the same price as well. I picked all three from the Leicester branch. They are still being advertised on their website. They are this year’s reprints too.

Kind regards,

Stix

Picked the Tiger one up for my modelling buddy for Christmas, Sherman for me.

• Like 1

Hi folk's,I've a fancy for a small scale entry for this one maybe with a small base,I quite like the look of Airfix's Sherman crab tank,what's the 

kit's origin's? is it their ancient offering with the extra part's added or possibly Esci/Italeri.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's,I've a fancy for a small scale entry for this one maybe with a small base,I quite like the look of Airfix's Sherman crab tank,what's the 

kit's origin's? is it their ancient offering with the extra part's added or possibly Esci/Italeri.

It's the ancient offering with extra parts I'm afraid. IIRC to flail chains are represented by spikes so it needs TLC. If you can get the newer Heller M4A2 you'll have a much better experience. Trust me, I'm not mad anymore.

• Like 1

.Hmmm. 

I've had a quick skeg at the stash and I've got quite a pile of M3/M4 based tanks (more than I actually realised)

Dragon...

Sherman lll

Sherman III DV Early Production

Firefly Vc

M4A1 76 (w) Operation Cobra

M4A1 El Alamein

M4 DV

M4 Composite Hull

M4A4 

Sexton SPG

Taska/Asuka...

Sherman V

M4A1 Mid Production

Tamiya...

M1 Israeli Sherman

Academy...

M3 Lee

I've also got a goodly stash of decals for various British Shermans from Europe to Italy and as far as Burma!

Decisions, decisions..... what to build :wonder:

Regards 

Steve 

• Like 2