M3/M4 Medium Tank STGB Chat

On 21/11/2017 at 17:39, Plasto said:

Are you thinking you might go for a hand painted tiger as above??

Maybe. I really like the look of the full red face version, but I don't want to do it unless I can find some evidence that there was an original Sherman finished like that. Tamiya don't usually make stuff up like that, but maybe it's a B&W photo interpretation thing.

If I don't do the kit scheme I might go with one of the Star decal options. Actually, the camo one, even though it lacks the tiger face, looks pretty good.

38516505631_c96e417b53_b.jpg

Andy:cat:

• Like 5

4 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

Maybe. I really like the look of the full red face version, but I don't want to do it unless I can find some evidence that there was an original Sherman finished like that.

There is a colour photo of the red glacis scheme on the release images of the kit on TMN’s news article of the Korean Sherman and Goliath kits release.

37874452034_9c0fe952b8_b.jpg

So probably legit as you say camo scheme is good also.

Edited by Plasto

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:20 AM, Patman said:

Is an M40 acceptable for this GB?

Yes as was based on the M4A3E8 hull with the engine being moved to the centre of the hull, much like the M12 GMC. Also had the HVSS suspension. The family likeness is obvious.

Edited by Threadbear
  • Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:03 PM, AndyRM101 said:

Maybe. I really like the look of the full red face version, but I don't want to do it unless I can find some evidence that there was an original Sherman finished like that. Tamiya don't usually make stuff up like that, but maybe it's a B&W photo interpretation thing.

If I don't do the kit scheme I might go with one of the Star decal options. Actually, the camo one, even though it lacks the tiger face, looks pretty good.

38516505631_c96e417b53_b.jpg

The Redface is quite a common and well known marking from the Korean War. 

On 01/11/2017 at 7:51 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

I've been giving my choice for this GB careful consideration. It is the first ever AFV STGB, which is a historic step, so I want to do the STGB justice.

I have built 1/48 AFVs in other GBs before now, so I think I'll continue.   In The Stash I have the Tamiya M4 early production and the Hobby Boss M4A3.  I think I will be building both as there is quite a contrast between them.  The problem with these kits is that neither provides crew figures and figures in 1/48 are few and far between.  I am busy trying to source those figures now.   I have a Gaso.Line set of four figures which I will use for the M4A3.  I need to find other figures for the M4.  Any suggestions?

I quite fancy the Legend stowage sets but I don't want to pay the exorbitant import fees...  

Can anyone provide any background information on the decal subjects in the Hobby Boss M4A3 kit?

48th Figures I'd suggest looking at Squad 48 range available from Nigel at Parabellum in Birmingham. E-mail is best communication. Another possibility is Figures with Attitude which you're best using FB to get in contact with. I rate both these companies products highly. There are also good figures from Paolo Parente's Dust range which a friend raves about.

EDIT: Finally found the box with things Sherman in it. I think the Israeli Driver Training Tank would be a good subject as I have more hulls than turrets....

13 hours ago, JackG said:

There's already slated a Panzer IV STGB end of next year:

2018%20Calendar.jpg

regards,

Jack

Are these dates confirmed? If so I am in as co host with Tamiya’s new M-10 Tank Destroyer. 

Good to see I completely forgot about this GB, have a Dragon Sherman Firefly in the stash but alas it is to far gone to enter, so looks like Santa will have to drop me off a replacement.  After watching a episode of World at War this weekend I feel the urge to model a Desert subject and will most likely be entering Dragon's El Alamein Sherman. Roll on the GB :D

drg6447

• Like 5

I only have 2 shermans in a limited armour stash but would like to participate with this

M4a3 calliope, i must admit to very little knowledge on the type, so a little research before the start is a must, also, could anyone recommend a photo etch set, those headlight gaurds look a little big on the sprues, cheers

Glynn 

2017-12-10_12-47-01

• Like 1

Assuming all Sherman headlight guards were standard issue, then any generic set should do.  A couple simple sets I've found are from Eduard and Passion Models:

Eduard-1-35-M4-Sherman-Headlight-Guard-T

Another one from DEF Models has a bit more:

de35001a-1.jpg

regards,

Jack

39 minutes ago, JackG said:

Assuming all Sherman headlight guards were standard issue, then any generic set should do.  A couple simple sets I've found are from Eduard and Passion Models:

Eduard-1-35-M4-Sherman-Headlight-Guard-T

Another one from DEF Models has a bit more:

de35001a-1.jpg

regards,

Jack

thanks jack nice one

glynn

10 hours ago, Antoine said:

Choice is down to those two.

sherma15.jpg

sherma24.jpg

Both kits are good choice. The DML M4A3E8 is a great kit but has been surpassed by the new Tamiya kit that came out in 2015? However it is a great kit and can be built as Creighton Abrams "Thunderbolt VII" with additional armour or a standard tank. The Tamiya Firefly is actually the Tasca/Askua kit and is stunning. The suspension is quite complex but otherwise the best.