He 111 STGB Chat

Arniec

11 hours ago, helios16v said:

Maybe you can treat @Arniec to a pint to convince him to let you finish your H-4 as a WIP.  Give you the chance to finish her up w/ the group, just not eligible for the gallery submission.  ;)

I second this suggestion. Rules are written by people, thus people can change the rules. V-P

16 hours ago, helios16v said:

Maybe you can treat @Arniec to a pint to convince him to let you finish your H-4 as a WIP.  Give you the chance to finish her up w/ the group, just not eligible for the gallery submission.  ;)

That is a great idea Chris! @Greg Law that is a idea. you are more than welcome to do it that way.

Cheers,

Along with Greg I am going to build a Battle of Britain He 111H-3 since it is the 80th anniversary of that event.  Just had a check that any AM I need is already obtained and ready for the off later in the month.  I should have some Master MG barrels somewhere, just got to research which markings to put on. :hmmm:

IMG_1325

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Along with Greg I am going to build a Battle of Britain He 111H-3 since it is the 80th anniversary of that event.  Just had a check that any AM I need is already obtained and ready for the off later in the month.  I should have some Master MG barrels somewhere, just got to research which markings to put on. :hmmm:

IMG_1325

wow! that looks good and with a lot of goodies. Have a great build and I will be watching.

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Arniec said:

That is a great idea Chris! @Greg Law that is a idea. you are more than welcome to do it that way.

Cheers,

Ok I will. It will help me get it done. I have black based the planet this stage. I'm a little worried about the canopy as i had major problems holding it together and it might be a bit messy once the masks come off. This is the main reason it went on hold. 

6 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

As a bit of a heads up. Be careful what glue you use to put the engine brackets together.  They are very fragile and I found the Tamiya glue melted and distorted them.

6 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Greg Law said:

As a bit of a heads up. Be careful what glue you use to put the engine brackets together.  They are very fragile and I found the Tamiya glue melted and distorted them.

When I had the kit out to take the photo I did notice the plastic seems on the soft side, so thanks for the heads up.  Is the nose glazing a problem area?

10 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

When I had the kit out to take the photo I did notice the plastic seems on the soft side, so thanks for the heads up.  Is the nose glazing a problem area?

Yes I found it difficult to handle. It kept coming apart. However that is most likely my own doing. The fit isn't to bad. It is mainly your choice of glue that matters. I ended up using CA out of frustration.  This is why I'm worried about what I will find when I remove the masks. It might be an idea to dip the canopy pieces in Future to seal them. This gives you a better chance of getting away with using CA. Also I hear Rocket odourless CA is a good thing to use. Sadly we can't get it here in NZ.

One more thing is you don't need to add all the pipes etc if you have closed cowlings. They make it much harder to close it up.

I also used the inside / outside Montex masks. They were really good.

Good luck with it. I will be watching.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Yes I found it difficult to handle. It kept coming apart. However that is most likely my own doing. The fit isn't to bad. It is mainly your choice of glue that matters. I ended up using CA out of frustration.  This is why I'm worried about what I will find when I remove the masks. It might be an idea to dip the canopy pieces in Future to seal them. This gives you a better chance of getting away with using CA. Also I hear Rocket odourless CA is a good thing to use. Sadly we can't get it here in NZ.

Always a problem on Luftwaffe bombers, getting the greenhouse canopy in place and painted well.

40 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

One more thing is you don't need to add all the pipes etc if you have closed cowlings. They make it much harder to close it up.

Another problem with ICM kits, putting engines and openable panels behind the propellers, they have not learned from Eduard that the majority of modellers don't want those gimmicks.

This is where I'm up to on the He 111H-4 The black base is more even than shown in the image. The flash did that. 

Here is a link to my thread on the build. A lot of the issues were most likely my own doing. 

Move image to my main thread

• Like 3

Just read through your WIP, looks like it might be a job for a one armed wall paper hanger, still, thanks for finding the problem areas, I look forward to the GB starting so I can have a crack at this beast, always liked the He 111 and it looks impressive.  I have a Monogram/Revell He 111-H6, thats been in the stash for 26 years now. :hmmm:

Yes I have three of those Revell kits. My experience lately with the Ju 188 kit is to give the sprues a good clean for mould release.  I had real trouble painting the fuselage and torpedos because I didn't clean it first. These are based on the same Ju 88 kit made by the same manufacturer as the Heinkel.  

I also have the kits for the torpedo bomber, another He 111H-3 and the He 111H-20. I have to ask where is the room to display them all.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys,

Just two weeks to go before the STGB starts. Get your gear together for this one. If not than Hurry up! 😉

As I am planning on doing a He-111P at the time of the Battle of Britain I will also put my build over there.

Cheers,

• Like 3

Got mine togethwr Arnold .

Im doing a dogfight double to depict the box art of the Airfix P-2 being shot down by a blackburn Skua mk 2 over the frozen mountains of Norway . I hav just recieved the Special hoby Skua . Bothe he111 and skua will be on Airfix dogfight double display stand .

Never imagined i would ever build a 1/72 Skua . I can be sure that i have absolutly none of the paints needed for it .

There will be lots of flames and bullet holes .

cheers

Alistair

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

Got mine togethwr Arnold .

Im doing a dogfight double to depict the box art of the Airfix P-2 being shot down by a blackburn Skua mk 2 over the frozen mountains of Norway . I hav just recieved the Special hoby Skua . Bothe he111 and skua will be on Airfix dogfight double display stand .

Never imagined i would ever build a 1/72 Skua . I can be sure that i have absolutly none of the paints needed for it .

There will be lots of flames and bullet holes .

cheers

Alistair

Great to See that everything is ready. I am currious how it will turn out. 

Cheers,

• Like 1

Has anyone used the Rocket odourless CA on canopies? I have just ordered some as I'm thinking of removing the canopy on my Heinkel and usng the one in my other H-3 kit.

I'm very worried about what I will find once I removed the masks. My Ju 188 went quite well when I glued it's canopy together,  but a I still got a bit of fogging. This one was a real mess and needed CA to hold it together. So if the Rocket works as advertised it would be the best option.  

8 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Has anyone used the Rocket odourless CA on canopies? I have just ordered some as I'm thinking of removing the canopy on my Heinkel and usng the one in my other H-3 kit.

I'm very worried about what I will find once I removed the masks. My Ju 188 went quite well when I glued it's canopy together,  but a I still got a bit of fogging. This one was a real mess and needed CA to hold it together. So if the Rocket works as advertised it would be the best option.  

Hi Greg

I have attached some very tricky and springy canopies useingMicro Kistal Klear .and absolutly no risk of damaging canopy in any way from this adhesive. . My ju 388 conversion had a canopy made of 2 parts and complicated suround to glue too  . It is also good at filling small gaps between canopy and fuselage

what ever method you choose may the glue gods be with you

cheers

Alistair

Thanks Alistair 

I use Kristal clear all the time. However,  I find I can't get a clean joint with it. It always ends up lumpy rubbery and uneven. I used it with my first attempt at joining the Heinkel canopy and it just fell apart in a few days. This is why I'm searching for a better way. My UV glue didn't work as I couldn't get enough light on it. 

53 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Thanks Alistair 

I use Kristal clear all the time. However,  I find I can't get a clean joint with it. It always ends up lumpy rubbery and uneven. I used it with my first attempt at joining the Heinkel canopy and it just fell apart in a few days. This is why I'm searching for a better way. My UV glue didn't work as I couldn't get enough light on it. 

I thought NZ had some of the highest UV levels in the world .Maybe its lower now as hole in the ozone layer is fixed . Dipping your glazing in future floor polish is suposed to give some protection against fogging or useing some small vacume device to remove air from other hole in fuselage which would remove fumes during curing .

1 minute ago, Mottlemaster said:

Dipping your glazing in future floor polish is suposed to give some protection against fogging

This is what I do, and have not yet had a fogging issue. I use Rocket Max (not odour-less) or generic cheapo pound store stuff. I've not tried the Rocket odourless.

Cheers,

Colin

21 minutes ago, Mottlemaster said:

I thought NZ had some of the highest UV levels in the world .Maybe its lower now as hole in the ozone layer is fixed . Dipping your glazing in future floor polish is suposed to give some protection against fogging or useing some small vacume device to remove air from other hole in fuselage which would remove fumes during curing .

Yes it definitely has the highest UV levels on the world hence my skin problems I have these days. Doc says it is sun damage from my younger days. 

However, we do have the lowest Virus levels in the world.  We are rather happy  about that at the moment.