RAAF UH-1H Iroquois

Romeo Alpha Yankee

Welcome to the group build TrojanThunder.

Sounds like an interesting build.

Australia seems to be well liked and represented in this group build.

Matt

Edited by S5 modeller

Thanks Matt,

I think I have other UH-1s buried in the stash, a B and N. I need to get one or two done for my collection of RAAF models. When I worked in the RAAF the base here was the main Helo training base and there was plenty of Iroquois action in the later 80's.

Need to dig out the other kits and see what other decals I have for them.

I have already built a USAF machine....

UH-1NUSAF_2.jpg

• Like 3

Great choice Ray!

Looking forward to seeing a Huey on floats. Do you know if that set is still available?

Thanks Aaron,

I believe some of the parts are being reworked at the moment. Not sure if there is any stock. I am good friends with Pete at Hawkeye and can ask him about it when I see him tomorrow if you like.

• Like 1

Interesting

Why did they camouflage the fuselage if they were going to add huge white and red floats?

Certainly something novel.

Look forward to seeing it built.

Colin

Colin, the floats were a trail for testing in Anti Terrorist Ops out on the oil rigs in Bass Straight. I expect if they had been brought into service then that would have been a more suitable colour :D

Knowing what those types are like, no doubt they would be day-glo orange.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the update Ray, once your other builds are complete I hope you can make a start. Would really be great to see a floating Huey in the gallery.

Cheers regards the Hawkeye floats. Will get my order in

Aaron

While I have been waiting for putty and paint to dry on some other projects I have start cutting plastic on the UH-1H but have found the Hasegawa kit lacking...

No control columns or collectives, no seating in the rear and the pilots seats are very basic.

So I have started to try and modify the kit seats to make them more presentable. I will have to scour the spares boxes to see if I have something I can stick in front of the seats or perhaps rob some parts form some Italeri kits I have. As for the backend it looks like I will need to try and scratch build some seating.

Pictures to follow shortly.

• Like 1

Here is my progress so far,

I started with the seats, they won't win any accuracy competitions, the right one has only had the excuse for a head rest removed.

72_Has_UH-1H_RAAF_03_zpsxeojxes5.jpg

72_Has_UH-1H_RAAF_05_zpsutl7u8ys.jpg

72_Has_UH-1H_RAAF_06_zps8z32kuqf.jpg

Still some tidying up to do on them.

Then I moved to the floats, removing the casting blocks

72_Has_UH-1H_RAAF_07_zpsouzrpaka.jpg

I found another picture in my collection of the floats being fitted

A2-507%20Floats%202_zpsgjsq4ito.jpg

and noticed the ribs underneath so I added them.

72_Has_UH-1H_RAAF_10_zpsrulvogl7.jpg

I had them running a fair way back but realised that they did not go that far back, So I trimmed the ribs back (front float done above).

That is all for now, I need to decide how I will scratch build the seats in the back that can be seen in the first shot of the aircraft I posted. That shot also shows that the ribs under the floats did not go as far back as I had them.

One more picture of the of the Huey for your viewing pleasure

A2-5nn%20Floats%201_zpssk0nl6gt.jpg

• Like 3

Possibly old news to Ray but may interest others.

Something has been niggling me and it turns out that Airfast had Hueys with floats. Go to Airliners.net and search Airfast Bell 204 and you'll get a few pictures. The ramp shot shows one airframe with rounded floats each end, the rest are as Rays pictures above.

THIS thread may help for others thinking of something similar....or maybe not.

Looks like being a great build. Good start Sir.

• Like 1

Possibly old news to Ray but may interest others.

Something has been niggling me and it turns out that Airfast had Hueys with floats. Go to Airliners.net and search Airfast Bell 204 and you'll get a few pictures. The ramp shot shows one airframe with rounded floats each end, the rest are as Rays pictures above.

THIS thread may help for others thinking of something similar....or maybe not.

Bristows had a few 205 with floats and also VR-BDX (one of a couple of their 204; which I have stalled on the bench while I try to figure out the Bristow decals on the tail boom) had floats fitted when in Egypt, a few photos on the PPrune. I didn't realise a float set existed for 1/72 Hueys so glad Ray is building this one.

I have found the that floats may be a little under size in width but will not worry about it. I noticed on the 'fitment' picture I posted the the 'tread board' on top of the floats are wider and a slightly different shape to those on the resin. I will sand it down as it stands too proud of the float and may add some card to it to widen it.

Thanks for the extra float pictures SS, it would be nice to see some from above to confirm my theory on the tread boards.

I also pulled an Italeri UH-1N out of the stash and will either use the seats from it for the back end or them as templates to make new ones.

• Like 2

I started on the cabin seats, using Andrew's build as a bit of a reference :D (thanks Andrew!) Still a away to go, and thing I might steal his idea on using tape for the canvas.

72_Has_UH-1H_RAAF_13_zpskgnamvc7.jpg

72_Has_UH-1H_RAAF_14_zpss8txbas5.jpg

72_Has_UH-1H_RAAF_15_zpsmgn1jpar.jpg

Could not resist a test fit inside the fuselage.

Spoke to Peter at Hawkeye about the build today and he tells me the floats have been remastered and now have the ribs along the bottom included in the mould.

• Like 4