North American OV-10A Bronco, Da Nang, 1969

Hi Everyone,

Just finished refurbishing my attempt, at making something resembling a Bronco from the very old Hawk 1/48 prototype kit

Q0OZvp7.jpg

I posted it here quite a few years ago but had to do it in very generic markings as there wasn`t any aftermarket ones available

C7MmCpo.jpg

The last year I picked up Caracal Models Bronco Sheet CD48068 in the hope that a new tooling would soon follow.....

OJ4fKSM.jpg

.....but alas it didn`t happen.

ojQzTny.jpg

So the next best thing I thought was to tidy up and partially repaint the one I`d done to represent an actual aircraft ........

vPgwkxV.jpg

....to go with my Vietnam FAC collection. Finished to represent a US Marines aircraft from VMO-6, based at Da Nang, S Vietnam 1969

mX89FkM.jpg

and I`ve still got a scheme left on the sheet to do if a decent kit finally does appear.

Hope you enjoy, Thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 61

You have done a really nice job there, Russ, with a less than forgiving kit I would imagine. I have the Kittyhawk 1:32 kit in my stash but would really prefer to do one in 1:48 and like you I had anticipated a new kit after Caracal announced the release of their decal sheet……rather like the O-1 Bird Dog and O-2 Skymaster too !. I'm sure it can only be a matter of time before someone jumps on the bandwagon and does a Bronco though……Hobbyboss or Trumpeter must be odds on 'favorites' given that they have started to look at COIN birds with their recent release of the Super Tucano, A-37A/B etc. We can live in hope.

• Like 1

Hello,Russ - My compliments to you as always.Another beautifully built,finished and displayed model.This time,a 'Bronco'.Your chosen scheme has helped to create a resplendent tribute to this charismatic aircraft. ;) All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Great job on a old kit Russ I like the way its displayed to.

Guy

• Like 1

That looks great Russ. Love the pics, I would love to get my hands on 48th revetments. Thanks for sharing.

Rod

Cheers Rod, the revetments came from a pair of Noys Minatures Vietnam card back drops that I purchased from Hannants. The backdrops themselves are a bit too small to use on anything larger than a Bearcat or Skyhawk, so I just chopped the revetments off and glued them onto some Persex sheet to use seperately, if that`s any help to you.

Thanks to everyone for kind comments and likes too. Appreciated

Always like to see you build Russ, but you have surpassed youself with trhis reffurb. It looks like a state of the art kit (which we will surely now get since you finished this!).

I used to work with a guy who was an OV-10A engineer at Da Nang. Said he volunteered to go to Vietnam to see what it was all about. And then regretted it!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

In the eyes of a 'wannabe-modeller': Absolutely top notch :thumbsup2:

If anyone should be interested in reading more about the Bronco I can recommend 'Flying Black Ponies: The Navy's Close Air Support Squadron in Vietnam' (Kit Lavell)

And to visit the blackpony.org. Lots of info here. Like 'Bu no 155405, side no 111 (Replacement for 155394?) Transferred From VMO-6 - Date Unknown'

• Like 1

In the eyes of a 'wannabe-modeller': Absolutely top notch :thumbsup2:

If anyone should be interested in reading more about the Bronco I can recommend 'Flying Black Ponies: The Navy's Close Air Support Squadron in Vietnam' (Kit Lavell)

And to visit the blackpony.org. Lots of info here. Like 'Bu no 155405, side no 111 (Replacement for 155394?) Transferred From VMO-6 - Date Unknown'

Cheers Jesper, I`ll be looking at that when an up to date kit comes out !

• Like 1