1/72 Italeri UH-1B Huey in a Japanese Scheme

Nigel Heath

Today I first masked up for the matt black antiglare patch on the nose, I did this quite loosely so as not to get a step in the paint:

P1130966_zpsrvrpcloq.jpg

Here's how it came out along with the front aerial pylons:

P1130967_zpsdfpekqlj.jpg

While that was drying I mixed up a dark grey wash and redid the rotors:

P1130968_zpsos18furc.jpg

Much better I think.

Then I tackled the short decals on the tail rotor. I soon found a good match for the red:

P1130969_zps2fom0b7v.jpg

When the red bands were done and dry I sealed them in with liquid decal film:

P1130970_zpshzfti2kz.jpg

Here they are finished and ready for some matt varnish:

P1130971_zpszcggduep.jpg

By now the black was dry so I got that masked up:

P1130972_zpsxs8jxylp.jpg

I had left the yellow band as long as I could before masking as it's a semi-gloss and is prone to reacting with masking tape if not completely cured. I have also established from reference photos that the grab handle should actually be all olive drab so I needed to mask around its base. I used 1.2mm punch to create some appropriate custom masking:

P1130973_zpsomwyunkt.jpg

Those were used like so:

P1130974_zps8x5ricqw.jpg

I made a bit of an error with this area of dayglo on the underside. The side bands should in fact stop just above the skids:

P1130975_zps1rmq7il2.jpg

With all the masking done I applied the olive drab:

P1130976_zpsg1vaf6no.jpg

Not forgetting the side doors and skids:

P1130977_zpstwwaltqt.jpg

While that was drying I added the bristles to the front aerials (above are the PE replacements) and realised I should have included the wipers in the black spraying session this morning:

P1130978_zpstglmhwvr.jpg

I think its best to let the green harden up overnight and then things will be almost ready for decal application.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 11

Tidy work as ever Nigel.

Am I the only one who finds it strange to see dayglo bands over a camouflage scheme? :hmmm:

It does defeat the purpose doesn't it!?

Looking great Nigel, echoing Craig's point that we may see this in the gallery soon.

• Like 1

Today, after doing all the paint touchups, I masked and brush painted the bevel gearbox with Dark Sea Grey:

P1130983_zps9xjtwrvb.jpg

While all the paint was drying I started work on a pitot tube using 0.3 and 0.5mm nickel silver tubes and 0.3mm rod to stop the tube collapsing when I bent it:

P1130984_zps4hfljrt1.jpg

Unfortunately when I tried to bend it I got a different failure mode and the tube snapped so I made another one using brass tube this time:

P1130985_zpsowvtmqcj.jpg

In preparation for the decals I then gave the main craft a coat of Aqua Gloss and while I had the airbrush out also got some black on the wipers and olive drab on the new pitot tube:

P1130986_zpsfozosdwt.jpg

Decalling application well underway, I had to add black rectangle under these NH decals, I sealed it with liquid decal film before applying the initials:

P1130987_zpskl3mgxkh.jpg

Here are all the kit decals done:

P1130989_zpscf9ok4vb.jpg

I will go over my reference pictures to see if there are any additional stencils required.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 12

The full colour decals and the dayglo paint really bring this scheme to life, one I've considered doing myself in 1/48.

More great work on the pitots, they look fantastic and much more realistic than the kit items.

I think you are going to be first across the finish line by a big margin.

• Like 1

This is all from yesterday, I couldn't get Photobucket to work last night. Inspecting the underside I found it had this crazed appearance, I have seen this before and know that it should vanish under a coat of matt varnish:

P1130990_zpss3qe5syi.jpg

I had got most of the decals on so applied a second coat of Aqua gloss to protect them:

P1130991_zpstksbahyi.jpg

I did discover a few stencils that I added using decals from my spares box:

P1130992_zpsdnkte3jl.jpg

I then painted some matt black on the ski steps to represent the anti-slip patches:

P1130993_zpsbkikrrv2.jpg

After about four coats of white primer I brush painted some yellow on the tips of the main rotor:

P1130994_zpsivhunqrq.jpg

Then it was onto final assembly steps, on went the pitot tube and blade aerial:

P1130995_zpsv7rtd19z.jpg

Tail skid:

P1130996_zpsk4zvnt7c.jpg

Skis:

P1130997_zpszigowehd.jpg

Front aerials:

P1130998_zpstdzyckhs.jpg

I really should have done this before assembling all the sticky out bits but then I applied a panel line wash using Payne's Grey oil paint:

P1130999_zpsnbbjyrkj.jpg

Here is the wash finished:

P1140001_zpsavodbpee.jpg

Next everything got a coat of matt varnish:

P1140002_zps1hqrkaz4.jpg

I started to remove the masking:

P1140003_zpsra2i5p8m.jpg

Next some light fabrication. I used plastic from a clear red cocktail stick and 1mm hole to make the light that goes on top of the engine:

P1140004_zpsnhki1vst.jpg

For the four navigation lights I used the same technique but clear sprue and a 1.2mm hole, they were then sawn in half and coated with clear green and red, I made up a few spares to be on the safe side:

P1140005_zpshvcnlsc2.jpg

I thought some rigging wires would look good on this so started on the job of adding them using EZ line and a short length of 0.4mm brass tube:

P1140006_zpsxhaiqzc1.jpg

After two coats of clear paint and when they were dry I started to add the navigation lights:

P1140007_zpsir254scl.jpg

I used some more clear sprue to make the formation light for the tail (1.2mm dia.) and when sawn off painted the back with Alclad "Chrome":

P1140008_zpsggsi9ev7.jpg

Here it is glued on with a dab of GS Hypo cement:

P1140009_zpsilhiqoth.jpg

Here is the dinky red roof light also glued on with GS Hypo cement:

P1140010_zpswl3sie7d.jpg

So here it was a the end of the day, very nearly finished. One of the rings on the skis has gone missing and will have to be replaced and then there are a few paint and varnish touch ups to do but its just about there:

P1140012_zpscg947d4y.jpg

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 13

Today I added the PE wipers using thinned Gator Grip:

P1140014_zpsw2ugej5y.jpg

Then I added the FM communications aeriel using 0.2mm nickel silver rod:

P1140015_zpswdiuik5n.jpg

Then I painted up and added the missing PE ring to the skis:

P1140016_zpse6cgxk0k.jpg

The very last thing to do were a few paint and varnish touch ups and with those done this is now finished:

P1140017_zpsknunonsj.jpg

The RFI shots can be found in the Gallery here. I start a new job next week back down in England so my modelling will shortly come to a stop, for a while at least.

Bye,

Nigel

• Like 17