1/72 Italeri UH-1B Huey in a Japanese Scheme

Nigel Heath

The cranked PE lever pinged off into oblivion a while ago so the first thing I did today was make a replacement using 0.3mm rod with a ball of solder on the end:

P1130835_zps93rb4upd.jpg

This is how it looked when fitted:

P1130836_zpsqwdekmxi.jpg

Next I masked some edges with 1mm tape ready for primer application:

P1130837_zpstk3a13s0.jpg

Then I got some primer on all the cockpit parts:

P1130838_zpsnbcmeqcv.jpg

After an inspection and some rectification work, mainly sticking back parts of the PE and foil I applied the top coats:

P1130839_zpsrawahu8k.jpg

For replacements of the rings I had cut off the back wall I painted up some PE rings with Alclad "Chrome" and cut a length of grey lead foil:

P1130840_zpsnuq2duwi.jpg

Next I did some detail painting in the cockpit including some "Polished Steel" Metal Cote on the fronts of the rudder pedals and silver pencil scratches on the foot rests and I also painted the back and sides of the lead foil with a matching shade of grey:

P1130841_zps3tfe8pjo.jpg

I then mixed up a dark grey wash and applied that to the cockpit to bring out the details:

P1130842_zpsajnenjje.jpg

I also applied the wash to the seats:

P1130843_zpsnfpwsuhh.jpg

And roof:

P1130844_zpscyslwofs.jpg

Then I applied a coat of matt varnish to all the painted parts:

P1130845_zpsvm3u7oik.jpg

The final job of the day was to start assembling the seat belts:

P1130846_zps9lzttrbp.jpg

They look great but are very fiddly and among some of the most complex belts I have come across. They will keep me busy for a while.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 11

It's great when the paint goes on. Exceptionally quick but equally brilliant work Nigel.

As much as I like the look of the pre-painted seat belts they are just so darn fiddly in this scale and it's very difficult to get that natural 'floppy' look as you can't heat them. I've used the fabric type belts once and still quite fiddly but after that one use I prefer them to the PE. I would like to see more of the fabric type available in 1/72... Good luck with the belts, I'm sure you'll get the better of them

• Like 2

Today I have been mainly working on the belts. Sometimes Eduard want modellers to do insane things, take this release lever that's supposed to go on the end of one of half of the lap belts for example:

P1130848_zpssj0pfx2l.jpg

Here is a picture of the real thing:

u%2041.jpg

Well after a bit of jiggery and quite quite a lot of pokery I managed to get the first one in position:

P1130849_zpsgaeiqiwa.jpg

I mean honestly you can hardly see it with the naked eye.

For a bit of relief from the belts I gave the instruments a coat of Klear to better represent the glass:

P1130850_zpsa066ddoo.jpg

Then I added fascias to the centre console:

P1130851_zpsiabuheil.jpg

Here are the cabin belts done except for the release levers:

P1130852_zpssshllrte.jpg

With the seats added the cockpit is nearing completion:

P1130853_zpskywtynnv.jpg

Next the instruments went on the IP:

P1130855_zps24tj8pqc.jpg

(Hair now removed).

I have also put the facia on the overhead controls:

P1130856_zpshezzugce.jpg

With a bit of a push I should get the cockpit finished tomorrow and be ready to close up the fuselage.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 11

Stunning Nigel. Excellent job on the belts! Good call to leave the remainder of the release levers off, for your own sanity. It is a bit ridiculous! And thats from someone who loves to add as much detail as possible :D.

Really like the grimey look you have there too.

• Like 1

Clever trick with the 'Clear' on the instruments - stored away for future use :). Sensible avoiding the rest of those levers - I couldn't see them (not that that means much) in the photo of the real thing.

Looking scrumptious (the dirt notwithstanding!).

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1

Looking great :thumbsup2:. I really like the way the foil and mesh has been used to create padded material on the roof; ingenious! The wash really works.

Someone at Eduard enjoys creating tiny pieces that he knows will send modellers over the edge :hypnotised:!

ATB

Tony

• Like 2

Today I finished off the rear belts by adding the release levers:

P1130858_zpsspsrnoso.jpg

Little herberts.

Then I added my replacement loops and straps onto the rear seat back:

P1130859_zpsqyq2v7gi.jpg

Then I made a ceiling light from a punched disc of 0.1mm white plasticard and another Alclad "Chrome" coated PE ring and added that:

P1130860_zpsqqu5ksgx.jpg

Then I did a bit of work on the glazing. These front quarter lights have sunken areas on both sides:

P1130861_zpsvrwzww39.jpg

So I Micromeshed them back to optical flatness:

P1130862_zpscgtkhgrr.jpg

They were then glued in with five minute epoxy. These downward vision windows are fitted from the outside so don't need to go in just yet. Unfortunately the gate is on a visible surface and will also have to be polished out:

P1130863_zpsagwnyo8e.jpg

I also glued in the side door glazing:

P1130866_zpse2zxhlre.jpg

I also started to remove the moulded in wipers, these will also have to be polished back to clarity:

P1130867_zpsvwrkkpb5.jpg

Here they are all polished:

P1130869_zpsa6rckpbe.jpg

With the windows in and the superglue hidden under some matt varnish I could now glue in the cockpit:

P1130864_zpshysogq3t.jpg

When that was set I closed up the fuselage:

P1130865_zpsxbf1pdxo.jpg

The tail had one raised line that was best rescribed before it was glued together:

P1130868_zpsthesyimb.jpg

Before I inserted the instruments I added a Mike Grant cockpit decal onto the compass followed by a dab of Klear for the glass:

P1130870_zpscx2kezqy.jpg

Here are the instruments after assembly:

P1130871_zpsfdemazxq.jpg

Next I masked up the front glazing and added that with more five minute epoxy:

P1130872_zpst1upeb2w.jpg

Before adding the tail I reinforced the butt joint with a scrap of shaped card:

P1130873_zps3svok4vl.jpg

Then after painting the skylights with clear green I added the roof:

P1130874_zps25iybcy3.jpg

The pesky roof hole was further sorted with a shaped piece of 0.7mm card:

P1130875_zps1wmdn2xs.jpg

The remaining gap I filled with PPP. So here we have it at the end of today, it's actually starting to look like a Huey:

P1130876_zpsbrkxbcwn.jpg

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 13

Fine work on this one Nigel. Those seatbelt release levers are a nasty idea that I'm sure Eduard could have made much easier to reproduce with a little more thought but seem to have provided no problem to a man of of your consummate skill and ability.

• Like 1

Wow. Just caught up on this one. Wonderful work Nigel. Hope you don't mind if I pinch some ideas for my build.

I like the detailing of the back of the IP, the quilting of the roof, roof light, etc. etc.etc. I too wondered about the gap at the rear of the roof. I'm also wondering if the roof is a mm or so too long as mine doesn't sit quite right at the windscreen end. Looks like your using the Eduard hobby boss etch seat belts. The Eduard Italeri etch ones are quite bizarre.

Keep it up, you work at a cracking pace given the amount of detail you're squeezing into the kit.

Andrew

• Like 1

Very nice work cleaning up the windows Nigel. I hope you don't mind me asking; what do you use to apply the 5 minute epoxy? I have tried a toothpick (RS Models Caudron Goeland), but still have smudged it :S. Probably my wobbly hands.

The roof light is a nice detail :)

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

Nigel, once again very impressed with the way you are building this kit, but I'm afraid that this one, and your previous two builds have been a slight disappointment overall - where's the cooking?

Or is the absence of explicit graphic images of your dinner the reason for the cracking pace? :-)

• Like 1

what do you use to apply the 5 minute epoxy?

I use the tip of a cocktail stick.

As to the cooking I still make at least one meal from scratch per day. I might sneak the odd picture in if people like it.

I did look for a fire extinguisher but was unable to find one so have not included one in this build.

• Like 3

I use the tip of a cocktail stick.

As to the cooking I still make at least one meal from scratch per day. I might sneak the odd picture in if people like it.

I did look for a fire extinguisher but was unable to find one so have not included one in this build.

Scratch building models and meals - your talent knows no bounds !

• Like 1