1:144 Boeing 737-800, Helios.

Revell 1:144 Boeing 737-800

Helios Airways

hel9_zpsr2c4fyxp.jpg

This one fits into my collection of aircraft 'seen at Manchester', mainly because I love the colour scheme. Decals are from BOA, and it features the 737-800 of the ill fated Helios airline. They suffered a dreadful accident with one of their 737-300 series machines, and unfortunately they are no more.
The kit was an early edition of Revells 737 in the Hapag Lloyd boxing without the winglets, which was just as well because this aircraft didn't have them.
I hope you like, it is a belter of a livery!

hel2_zpszvopzpkp.jpg

hel3_zps29fdykom.jpg

hel4_zps1hax4z2g.jpg

hel1_zpsb1ofxi0e.jpg

hel5_zpsa0m9vuik.jpg

hel7_zpssgnhvxnx.jpg

'With something else' another 737-800 this one with the winglets, in another of my favourite schemes.

hel6_zpsyww6kibd.jpg

For anyone who has this decals sheet, there is something to beware of, the tail decal was slightly undersized. Ok, there is a silver leading edge to go on the fin, but it was still a little small and I had to touch in with paint on the trailing edge.

hel8_zpsn4reiflf.jpg

Great to see so many nice 737 posted on RFI recently, keep them coming!

Cheers

John

• Like 20

Great build.You certainly seem to hammer those 737s out.Another stunner in your 737 collection.

I saw a documentary of the ill-fated Helios flight.Quite disturbing story...

Gorgeous as ever another crisp sharp finish John! I had that decal and the Brasil one but sold them on as I didn't think I'd ever build one, regret it now seeing yours.

Did you fix the engine intakes yourself or use aftermarket ones?

What's on the work bench next?

Cheers,

Ian

Hello,John - My full compliments to you as always.This latest beautifully built and finished '737' is in one of the most elegant schemes I have ever seen.I love that shade of blue. ;) All the very best,Paul.

I have for some time now played with the idea of doing a Helios 737 myself using the BOA sheet.

Great to see a nice and clean finished example!

And thank you for the heads up on the tail decal.

Keep them coming (I say to you :) )!

Cheers,

Niki

Thank you guys, we seem to have a boom in 737's being posted here. Long may it continue.

Nice work :thumbsup2:

Do you used Pledge floor care?

I did indeed, in is UK 'Johnsons Kleer' version.

Gorgeous as ever another crisp sharp finish John! I had that decal and the Brasil one but sold them on as I didn't think I'd ever build one, regret it now seeing yours.

Did you fix the engine intakes yourself or use aftermarket ones?

What's on the work bench next?

Cheers,

Ian

Ian, I fixed the engines myself, using a small slab of plasticard on the underside, blended with Milliput and sanded. I split the intake rings at the bottom and wedged in a bit of 30 thou plasticard in the gap. Let it all dry and then sand it all to make good. There is a pinned thread in the civil section on my initial attempt where I made new intake rings. Too much like hard work, and I found it easier to keep the kit ones and 'wedge' them. There are other ideas contributed by other members too.

Currently on the workbench are a couple of Zvezda Tu-134's. One will be Interflug, the other a CSA 'OK Jet'. I just love Russian airlinres!

Cheers

John

Thank you so much for this! I am going to be recreating the crashed Helios jet using DACO's 737-500 kit converted to a -300. What paint/mix do you use for the blue? I didn't have a chance to read the boa instructions to see if they give a correct name. Looks great!

Drew

What paint/mix do you use for the blue? I didn't have a chance to read the boa instructions to see if they give a correct name. Looks great!

Drew

Hi Drew, It is Tamiya X-14 Sky blue, straight from the jar. Matches the decal sheet blue perfectly!

One observation I forgot. I shortened the main legs a touch to avoid the traditional 'tail high' look of the Revell 737. It looks a bit to me like it might be better to lengthen the nose leg as the engines are close to the ground. I may still do that to lift the engines up a spot. Maybe both actions are required, or leave the main legs completely alone, and just do the nose.

Cheers

John

Another stunning build John.

I really must get cracking and finish something but I spend so much time admiring the lovely work that you and the other fine airliner modellers post here that I find I have little time left to do anything constructive myself.

Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Chris

I really must get cracking and finish something but I spend so much time admiring the lovely work that you and the other fine airliner modellers post here that I find I have little time left to do anything constructive myself.

Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Chris

And that's a really good excuse Chris. I use the same one myself!

Keith

• Like 1