1/12 Tamiya Rover Mini Cooper 1,3i

Hi all.

This is a first for me. My first model car. I usually build things with wings!
The last half a year or so, I've really fallen in love with classic mini's.. As I cannot afford one at the moment, I simply needed to build a model of one! Not many BRG Mini's have the Union Jack on top, but I have seen a few pictures on the interweb, so I decided to go for it! Took a long time to mask off, but definately worth the time spent!
I also challenged myself, by making an electrical circuit for lights. A little bit of soldering, and maths, did the trick. However, when I put the bodywork on the chassis, one of the wires snapped of the right hand brake light... Unfourtunately, I only discovered this, when the glue had hardened - bummer! Oh well, I'm pretty happy with the result. The paintwork is done with a cheap rattle can from Bahaus, and cleared with Tamiya's clear rattle-can. After that, it was handpolished with some ordinary car polish, and the job was a gooden. All chrome parts, have been painted with Humbrol gloss black, followed by alclad chrome. Great stuff!
Comments appreciated!
28181688154_71b2991164_z.jpg
28799303255_bebd2a95be_z.jpg
28181685224_130b459f08_z.jpg
28181685224_130b459f08_z.jpg
28181680514_7e556d0d37_z.jpg
28722058101_1d9bd6df8d_z.jpg
28799296205_37ea218de0_z.jpg
Cheers,
Robin
Edited by Matcham11
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Nice job Robin, I really like that - excellent work on the lights!! :speak_cool:

However, when I put the bodywork on the chassis, one of the wires snapped of the right hand brake light... Unfourtunately, I only discovered this, when the glue had hardened - bummer!

I wouldn't worry too much, we've got a real one in the garage with the left brake light not working - the wire has snapped under the fuel tank & we're going to have to take the tank out to fix it!! :winkgrin: As Vince1159 says, you have to love old Minis!! :rolleyes:

Keith

Keith

• Like 1

Nice job Robin, I really like that - excellent work on the lights!! :speak_cool:

I wouldn't worry too much, we've got a real one in the garage with the left brake light not working - the wire has snapped under the fuel tank & we're going to have to take the tank out to fix it!! :winkgrin: As Vince1159 says, you have to love old Minis!! :rolleyes:

Keith

Keith

Ah wicked stuff Keith! - and cheers!

I need to get me education sorted out, and I've promised my self to get one, the day I get a job after my education!

Hopefully, they've not all rusted away by then!

Went to Beaulieu two weeks ago, and they have a few classic mini's in mint condition there! I love them!

Robin

• Like 1

I know it sounds unbelievable now, but I bought a mk 1 Mini for £28 from a junk shop many years ago.

I was rebuilding the engine in a Lotus Europa JPS (God - I wish I had that car now...) and needed a runabout for a few weeks.

I sold it for £50 without the new battery that was in it - sold that for £10 - and refunded the tax for 3 months that was already there.

I think I came out about £40 up on the deal.

I can't think what that Mini might be worth now as it wasn't a rustbucket. It was a nice car but back then, Mini's weren't worth the price of a can of cat food.

Lovely model though.

Mine was green, white roof, but no Union flag on top.

You've brought back happy memories.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 3