1/35th HH-1N

charley420

So I've decided to start with this one as my Gb entry.

IMG_20160805_205041.jpg

Obligatory in box shot

IMG_20160805_213724.jpg

Having found these photos online,

20137174001_ca9425a539_b.jpg

hh-1n_158764_3.jpg

I have decided to do my bird as one stationed in yuma during 2003 using the fantastic fireball modelworks decal set.

I started by removing the major components from the sprues, and removing the cockpit doors (not sure this was a good idea)

IMG_20160806_100653.jpg

• Like 7

I can see that one of the tail parts has a cavity in it. I think it is for the option to both have a door there or not.

I have this 1:48 scale huey in which this part doesn't look good. Apparently, the door parts that fills in the cavity in the tail, sank in too deep, so that it looks like there is a square shaped recess, instead of a door.

I suggest dry fitting this part, and maybe fill some of the cavity (reduce the depth) if the square door part doesn't end up being flush with the tail part.

• Like 1

That's an unusual choice there Charley.

Awfully bright for the marines, thought they were more low key.

Would be cool if you could pose it in flight, with said marine just emerging, like in the photo.

Good start so far. I think you will do thus scheme proud.

Matt

Edited by S5 modeller

I may put crew in it, does anyone have a set of crew figures from the academy huey that they want to part with?

I've been researching the internal fuel badder, and found the werners wings resin items, but alas i dont fancy paying the crazy shipping rates from the usa so i think ill have a go at fashioning my own.

• Like 2

I have a sneaking suspicion that the tiny door handles are not provided with this kit (I might be wrong). Maybe molded into the door itself.

I would try scratch build the outer door handles. Iirc, the ones I saw on a Bell 412 heli, they looked comically old style and surprisingly small (looking fragile), and in stainless steel. Sort of rounded handles, not having hard edges iirc.

So I've been getting a bit of time on this before work of a morning, I've got the main fuselage together and the windscreen taped/glued in place as it'll need a bit of blending in around the corners. I've also sanded the majority of the giant rivets off as quite frankly they looked ridiculous.

IMG_20160817_044636.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Charley,

Glad you're finding time to continue. Have you had any joy with the fuel bladder? Some time ago, I considered building a German SAR 205 with the fuel bladders fitted. I considered using rolling up some kitchen foil but that was on a smaller scale.

Got to say l do like the rescue colour scheme never seen a marine’s colour version before. One question in the original Dragon kit are the miniguns provided as in the box art.

Yes it came with miniguns and the elaborate ammo feeds in the box.

Did you perhaps glue on the inner walls (inside the cabin) seen in the last photo, upside down? The slant of the forward wall, looks reversed to me. I might be wrong though.

I dont think so, note the floor is on a slope too as the copter is sat in a tail down attitude.

Hi Charley,

Glad you're finding time to continue. Have you had any joy with the fuel bladder? Some time ago, I considered building a German SAR 205 with the fuel bladders fitted. I considered using rolling up some kitchen foil but that was on a smaller scale.

I had thought about either sculpting one from miliput or using a block of foam as a core for a foil skin.
  • Like 1

Got the orange painted, but it looks like I'll have to re do the smaller side doors as they had a darker undercoat and have come out a different shade.

IMG_20160824_171919.jpg

• Like 3

I'll be following this one having just picked up an Italeri 1/48 UH-1N kit that includes another of MCAS Yuma's SAR Hueys (Bu.No. 158557) although I think I might look out for the Superscale decal that has markings for one of NAS Agana in Guam's SAR a/c which Superscale reckon is International Orange over Dark Sea Blue (or is it Engine Grey).

• Like 1

Looking great Charley, shame about the smaller doors (orange can be a right pain). I think you're right about redoing but even a slight difference in shade might be interesting? Forgive me and my ignorance but in the photos of the actual aircraft the orange looks quite dark and almost red. Is this just an effect of the light?

Looking great Charley, shame about the smaller doors (orange can be a right pain). I think you're right about redoing but even a slight difference in shade might be interesting? Forgive me and my ignorance but in the photos of the actual aircraft the orange looks quite dark and almost red. Is this just an effect of the light?

I think so yes, in some photos it does look like a red shade. but on the decal instructions the photos and diagrams say international orange. Tamiya x6 fits the bill perfectly.

I'll be following this one having just picked up an Italeri 1/48 UH-1N kit that includes another of MCAS Yuma's SAR Hueys (Bu.No. 158557) although I think I might look out for the Superscale decal that has markings for one of NAS Agana in Guam's SAR a/c which Superscale reckon is International Orange over Dark Sea Blue (or is it Engine Grey).

should be interesting, The uk's Hueys look great in Navy blue and yellow so I think a dark sea blue one would look spot on.

• Like 1