Which Stuka?

ZitchDog

I am thinking of doing an African campaign 1:48 Stuka next, does anyone recommend a good kit? I have seen the new airfix that's due to be released later this year, debating whether it's worth holding out for?

The Italeri Stuka is quite nice, it can also be found in the Tamiya box. Don't discount the older Hasegawa kit, which has a specific boxing for STG2 aircraft with snake decals, you can also find this plastic in the Revell boxing. I would not bother with the old Hobbycraft or Airfix offerings.

• Like 1

Hi, ZitchDog

I have not built it yet, but in the box Italeri/Tamiya Ju 87 B looks impressive. I cannot comment on Hasegawa, because I have no experience with it, but on Airfix I agree with Brad. With a lot of work, PE and resin parts invested Airfix could be beaten into a very decent model, but with new kits around, it is hardly worth it. Much the same could be said about the old Monogram Ju 87 D, although with that model I am still puzzled about the actual length of the plane, so I have not built D Stuka in any scale yet. Cheers

Jure

The Italeri Stuka is quite nice, it can also be found in the Tamiya box. Don't discount the older Hasegawa kit, which has a specific boxing for STG2 aircraft with snake decals, you can also find this plastic in the Revell boxing. I would not bother with the old Hobbycraft or Airfix offerings.

the Italeri kit has grossly misshaped spinner, and according to some comments, the entire cockpit is in the wrong place, which looks to be the case

6Zjp4jw.jpg

after much searching for comparable image

.... note distance between windscreen and cowling, and the bulbous spinner shape,( Italeri really have problems with spinners...their Hurricane ones are absymal)

BW-photo-Junkers-Ju-87B-Stuka-StG1-(6G+-

The old Airfix is riveted, but was based on their 1/24th kit. with work it's still a contender, though I think the fin is too high.

see http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234991668-airfix-junkers-ju87b-stuka-148-scale/

Best bet for a B-2 is the Revell of Germany rebox of the Hasegawa B-2, as it will have reasonable decals, and easier/cheaper to get in the UK (I note you are in Manchester)

this one https://www.scalemates.com/kits/136120-revell-04564-ju-87b-2-stuka

136120-11185-52-pristine.jpg

Airfix may do a 1/48th B-2, as the B-1 kit will have most of the bits.

HTH

T

Thanks guys, loads of choices, I did like the look of the italeri kit, however the descrepencies pointed out by Troy it now has me thinking. I am currently building a revell mossie and would have preferred a model with more detail in the cockpit.

Hi, Troy

Spinner could be replaced or reworked without too much trouble, but cockpit location is another matter. Comparing the photos of the built model and the actual aircraft the cabin hood looks like a little too short. Right now I do not have my Italeri/Tamiya kit handy and, unfortunately, I did not cut the main parts from the trees to compare them with drawings, before stashing it away. Are there any other issues with this kit one have to be aware of? Cheers

Jure

Wow! :blink: what excellent thread - asked & answered within a couple of hours in such depth, concise evidence of a kit's short-comings and no hand-wringing in sight. :clap2: I'll try to remember this thread when I (finally) get around to putting a Stuka together myself. :)

• Like 1

Thanks guys, loads of choices, I did like the look of the italeri kit, however the descrepencies pointed out by Troy it now has me thinking. I am currently building a revell mossie and would have preferred a model with more detail in the cockpit.

Are you meaning the Revell Mossie pit, or the Hase Ju-87?

the Hase cockpit is OK detailwise,

http://www.internetmodeler.com/scalemodels/aviation/Hasegawa-Build-article-5-22-14.php

but if you want detail, Aires do a resin and PE pit

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIRE4026

Eduard do an extensive PE set

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ED49200

Kingkit have 3 of the Revell rebox in stock BTW

http://www.kingkit.co.uk/plastic-model-kit-revell-1-48-04564-junkers-ju-87b-2-stuka-11097.html

Though one can probably be obtained for less elsewhere

Hi, Troy

Spinner could be replaced or reworked without too much trouble, but cockpit location is another matter. Comparing the photos of the built model and the actual aircraft the cabin hood looks like a little too short. Right now I do not have my Italeri/Tamiya kit handy and, unfortunately, I did not cut the main parts from the trees to compare them with drawings, before stashing it away. Are there any other issues with this kit one have to be aware of? Cheers

Jure

Hi Jure

I did some research on the various Ju-87's, as the Italeri kits are usually expensive in the UK (RRP is about £30) I have not got one.

I don't know of other faults, but given Italeri's frequent detail mistakes, I'd not be surprised.

I do have a few Hase versions, the remains of Monogram G from my youth, and an Airfix B, interestingly the Mono kit looks pretty good shapewise, see

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234946391-148-monogram-ju-87g-finished/

and the Mono and Hase have the same height fin, the Airfix is higher, and from photos, the Airfix fin is too high.

this page has a detailed list of what Hase kit has what bits

http://modelingmadness.com/splfeat/kr/has48c.htm

I note that Promodeller also did a rebox of the Hase kit

Another extensive family of versions, based on 22 different parts trees or parts sets! Note: Ju87 wings are trees A and B whether they are short or long span. Also, the Ju87B/R kits can come with regular air intake, trop air intake, or both, and the instructions and parts tree don’t always match on this item! I’ve chosen to go by the actual part(s) provided in the kit.

Ju87B: 09113, 09116, 09188, and 09276 are basic B-2 with standard engine air intake only. 09171 is a B-2 that includes resin skis. 09197 is a B-2 that includes turned metal stabo fuse extenders. 52505 is the standard B-2 with Jaguar resin pilot and mechanic. RG 4564 is a basic B-2 with both standard and trop engine air intakes. 07317 is a B-2 with both types of intakes and a newer set of resin skis.
Ju87R: 9115 and 09253 are R-2s, include drop tanks and come with larger tropical engine air intake only. 09174 R-2 includes drop tanks but has standard engine air intake only. 07337, PM 5975, 09584, and 09673 may be the best early Stuka kits, as these boxings include drop tanks and both types of air intakes. 09899 is identical to these last three and includes 6 resin parts to build the carrier-based Ju87C version.
Ju87D short wing: 09285 does the later short winged D-1/D-3. includes the same parts plus 09307and 09348 are D-4s, basically are 09285 plus B/R spats, drop tanks, and resin torpedo and pylon; so these can build a D-1 or D-3! 07323 and 09546 are 09285 with the addition of exhaust flame suppressors. 09370 does a G-1 by modifying 09285 with addition of 37 mm under wing cannon pods, but minus bombs and pylons.
Ju87D long wing: 09053 and 09704 build a long winged D-5. 09279 adds metal night fighter exhausts to 09053 to become a D-8. 07360 and 09054 build a G-2 by modifying 09053 with addition of 37 mm under wing cannon pods, minus the bombs and pylons. 51038 is based on 09054 plus resin and brass parts for super-detailed under wing cannon.

Just for completeness, AFAIK the Hobbycraft kit is based on the Monogram kit, but is reputed to rather poor.

HTH

One thing I noticed when comparing the Monogram D/G with the Hasegawa D/G is that the Monogram has the large gear spats, and the Hasegawa has the smaller spats - the Monogram spats are almost 50% larger than the Hasegawa. It is noted in AeroDetail 11 that some D/G's had earlier B type spats installed, those were the telescoping style, not the flexible dust cover style and had the siren (or at least the stub) installed.

1%20small_zpsthjvszxt.jpg

2%20small_zpspvunvus6.jpg

3%20small_zpsky4allbz.jpg

The Monogram seems to be a hybrid of the two styles. Also, the difference seems to be in the leg area on the aircraft, not so much the spat area, whereas Monogram has the spat area enlarged.

... just something I noticed.

Colin

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 1

Hobbycraft Stuka is pretty much a copy of the Monogram kit. I had both in the stash at one point and was actually working on both at one time, but they ended up on the Shelf of Doom.

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers, still can't make my mind up, between the revell and the tamiya/italeri kits. Despite the issues pointed out with the italeri I like the kit they have put together with tamiya, got to make a desicion soon as mossie is almost complete. Lol.

I built the Revell boxing of the Hasegawa plastic in my recent build thread. It went together quite well. There's a nice amount of cockpit detail OOB, but it could be improved upon if desired. Mine only got seatbelts. The MG15 rear machine gun is a shapeless blob. Overall, I was pleased with it and would happily buy the same kit again :)

• Like 1

I built the Revell boxing of the Hasegawa plastic in my recent build thread. It went together quite well. There's a nice amount of cockpit detail OOB, but it could be improved upon if desired. Mine only got seatbelts. The MG15 rear machine gun is a shapeless blob. Overall, I was pleased with it and would happily buy the same kit again :)

Cheers Sovereign, I shall take a look at your build thread. :)