*Finished* RAN UH-1B Iroquois

abat

Looking good in the white primer.

Can't wait to see the camoflauge paint on.

Matt

Thanks Matt, likewise. The dark blue and white provides a great contrast. Andrew

• Like 1

This is really coming together so nicely, not far from the finish line I reckon.

Thanks Nigel, although I feel like it might be like reaching the top of a hill - always another step, another step, another step.

• Like 2

It only looks like small steps now :) .

For some reason the really small, finishing touches always seem more daunting than the earlier, more substantial challenges.

i sometimes think it's because we are subconsciously doing the 'shiny new thing'; looking forward to our next build. I know it happens to me.

This looks just excellent. I love helicopters (and auto-gyros) but have always been intimidated by them in kit form. So fragile, so exacting. 

This build and and this whole GB is inspiring me to 'man up' and build one :thumbsup2:

Best regards

Tony

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

For some reason the really small, finishing touches always seem more daunting than the earlier, more substantial challenges.

i sometimes think it's because we are subconsciously doing the 'shiny new thing'; looking forward to our next build. I know it happens to me.

This looks just excellent. I love helicopters (and auto-gyros) but have always been intimidated by them in kit form. So fragile, so exacting. 

This build and and this whole GB is inspiring me to 'man up' and build one :thumbsup2:

Best regards

Tony

Thanks Tony, I really appreciate your encouragement. Helicopters are fun to build -  there's lots of stuff going on inside the cabins/cockpits and they have a very purposeful look. The rotors can dictate a larger display space but I usually get around that by building naval versions with folded rotors (a lot of time and fun there too). I prescribe a trip to your LHS to rummage through available medications. A nice Wessex would come in handy for the next helicopter group build, or if your quick, there's still time left to build a Huey. Cheers, Andrew

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Best regards

Tony

Agree with you Tony. For this reason, I will not open or start researching the next project until I am on the very last steps of the current build.  I found it was distracting me too much and forcing me to rush things as I had lost interest in whatever the current project was 

the Huey is looking fantastic abat. Coming along nicely 

Bruce 

• Like 2

IMG_7411-L.jpg

I bet you can guess where this is heading ...

IMG_7412-L.jpg

A few touch-ups needed here and there but getting closer to the finish line. I used Tamiya X2 White for the top side and Gunze H328 Blue Angels Blue for the lower half. Not a good photo I'm sorry but the nose gives a good idea of the colour. Both were thinned about 50/50 with Tamiya X20A and a few drops of Liquitex flow aid added. Nice and glossy and almost ready for decals! I do need to spray the black anti-glare on the nose. Some faded black patches are aslo required on the roof in front of the intake. 

• Like 9

Thanks very much. The RAN certainly chose a striking scheme for their choppers. The same colours were also used on (some) Sycamores, Wessex and Kiowa. 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2016 at 10:38 PM, Dermo245 said:

Lovely paint finish, especially as they're both such strong contrasting colours.

Cracking work.

Dermot

9 hours ago, S5 modeller said:

Excellent paint work. Nice, neat demarcation lines too.

Keep it up, not far to go now.

Matt

Thanks Dermot, Matt,

Although I waited several days between spraying the gloss white and then masking for the blue, I mustn't have been patient enough as closer inspection revealed that the Tamiya tape had left some marks on the cabin roof. I tried a light sanding to correct it but ended up making more mess  - It was like the paint hadn't dried properly before it was masked. Only on the cabin roof though, no where else so perhaps I laid the paint on too thick there. Anyways, I was also a little disappointed with the re-rivetting I'd done at the back of the roof so I sanded that off and took the plunge of re-painting that area. Fingers crossed that I'd get no over-spray onto the lovely blue, I masked the area with a white tack roll so the touch-up wouldn't show an edge and then isolated the rest of the airframe with thin plastic lunch wrap.

Photo below shows the new undercoat on top of the re-sanded areas. You can just make out the old rivet lines I removed.

FullSizeRender-L.jpg

The masking worked and I 'm now back to the stage I was last Saturday. I've touched up the minor areas of blue over-spray that somehow got through my original Tamiya tape masking. In most cases it only needed  little work with some micro mesh to buff off the little spots of blue. 

I'm now going to let the little guy sit for a week (or less if I become impatient) before I trust it's dry enough to commence decals. In the meantime, plenty of little jobs to do painting the rotors, making a winch sling and other odds and ends.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I've made some more progress the last few days. The nose was masked prior to spraying Tamiya NATO black on the anti-glare area. Then when sufficiently dry, I worked up the courage to put on some stickers! In addition to the basic numbers and roundels, I also rounded together some illegible yellow, red and black signage from the spares box to replicate some of the more obvious stencils on the fuselage, winch housing and doors. Makes it look just a little busier.

20161009_EM1_090233-L.jpg

You can also see all the little odds and ends needed to finish it off - the yellow sling for the winch, the black box for the roof which relaces the rounded "hump", roof antenna (I made two just in case). The tiny red light for the rear of the engine cowling was made by turning some clear plastic sprue in a drill and sanding it to the right diameter. The black/grey roofing areas were masked and hand painted and look OK from a distance. All the other antenna have also been scratch built to better represent the airframe.

I tried some panel line washes but am just not pleased with the results so it will likely finish up in showroom condition. Next up is to put an overall semi-gloss over the paint to seal in the decals, remove the masking to see what lurks beneath, tidy up the rotors heads and then it looks like it's done.

20161009_EM1_090206-L.jpg

• Like 7

Nearly there, here's a spoiler getting to know the neighbours. 

IMG_0024-D.jpg

Some minor paint touching up to do around the navigation lights, fitting the roof aerial, black box, winch and pitot tube, plus a matte coat over the black roofing areas which I assume are non-slip surfaces. 

It mostly survived the window masking although I had one window pop out and had to tidy up a masking tape thin line of white undercoat adjacent to blue and black areas. It's almost a tail sitter, I'd pack some weight under the cockpit floor next time. Ahh, the next time ....

• Like 3

8 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

um, Upside down Miss Jane  (if you're old enough to understand that reference:D)  Lovely work Andrew

Oh yes. What a wonderful show. 

That looks great Andrew, surprised to hear it's almost a tailsitter. Will it be worse when the doors are attached?

nice to see your sycamore again.  I found out yesterday that S&M are releasing a few sycamore kits soon :) 

• Like 2

Ah, the doors. Still deciding how to attach those little blighters, either a big glob of hidden glue, or some subtle pinning into the rail guides. 

Wonderful news on the Sycamore. I googled S&M models and I'm really excited to see an Australian navy version in the box art. Now on the wait list. 

Amdrew

• Like 2

It looks really good Andrew. I was a little worried when you had to re-prime and paint, but it has all worked out perfectly :) 

She looks great in the display cabinet. The others have helped answer a question I intended to ask, regarding the helicopter to the right in your display cabinet.

Sycamore? I had one (I think a Sycamore?) a long time ago by the same company that made a nice Boeing (China?) Clipper. It's really testing my memory :frantic: .

Now I'll google S&M. That wobblychopter really appeals :heart: .

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

It looks really good Andrew. I was a little worried when you had to re-prime and paint, but it has all worked out perfectly :) 

She looks great in the display cabinet. The others have helped answer a question I intended to ask, regarding the helicopter to the right in your display cabinet.

Sycamore? I had one (I think a Sycamore?) a long time ago by the same company that made a nice Boeing (China?) Clipper. It's really testing my memory :frantic: .

Now I'll google S&M. That wobblychopter really appeals :heart: .

:goodjob: 

TonyT

Thanks Tony, I must say I was a little nervous about repainting the roof too. I think the key was using a roll of white tack to feather the edge so the repairs weren't noticeable. 

The sycamore is a really neat helicopter, the RAN having them in both bare metal finish (my version) or the venerable dark blue and white. Glencoe is the brand and they certainly do a Martin M130 China Clipper - what a big beast that is. 

Here's a shot of the sycamore from my RFI thread. The front door is a little wonky as I "lost" the original and needed to scratch-build a replacement. Need to re-do that one day I think. 

20150217_EM1_2170045-L.jpg

Back to the UH-1B, I estimate about 2 hours work will see me to the finish today. No more thoughts of Sycamores until that's done. 

• Like 3