Western Pacific Boeing 737 "Spirit of Durango"

This was purchased at Telford last November, basic build was quite quick ( no real issues) and final painting + decals in June / July. Two thinned brush-painted coats of Daco WP blue for the fuselage, my own mix of Mr Hobby grey / white for the wings and decals for the leading edges and coroguard. Authentic Airliner decals for the cockpit but not for fuselage as their spacing is slightly out from the Daco window deacls.

20160805_164840

20160805_165005

20160805_16495520160805_16485720160805_164740

20160805_165041

and alongside another from the WP fleet which will be "Crested Butte" - unfortunately the purple paint has gone very gritty, so will probably have to wait until after Telford this year to get another tin of paint

20160805_165317

The fuselage decals are VERY large - recommended to use Daco's own setting solution but only had Microsol/set so a few wrinkles!!

Edited by FortyEighter
Photos re-instated
  • Like 11

Very nice, great livery, love the train on the tail, great memories of a visit to durango and riding the train many years ago, nice job.

Hi Michael

Thanks, we've done the Durango - Silverton train twice in thirty years, also loved the Mesa Verde decals - it's a mystical place.

Regards

Mike

Nice work there!

I love those WP specials, I have a couple to do myself.

Could you not get the purple by mail-order from Daco? seems a shame to wait until November....

ATB
Rick

Really great job, those decals look to have settled on nicely, you don't mention what kit, I assume the new Daco. or Daco Mark II

Did you use up all your purple?

If not a light sand with 1200 wet n dry, and a new coat should do it

Nice work there!

I love those WP specials, I have a couple to do myself.

Could you not get the purple by mail-order from Daco? seems a shame to wait until November....

ATB

Rick

Thanks Spad

Living in Yorkshire it seemed silly to pay the postage from Belgium when it would be cheaper to wait! Anyway there is much to do for the Airliner GB.

Edited by FortyEighter

Really great job, those decals look to have settled on nicely, you don't mention what kit, I assume the new Daco. or Daco Mark II

Did you use up all your purple?

If not a light sand with 1200 wet n dry, and a new coat should do it

Hi Graeme

Not sure what happened with the purple but have tried it twice, perhaps I just got a bad tin?

Crested Butte was my first choice for a WP plane as we have relatives living there and have visited many times.

Those AA cockpit decals really fooled me. Looks great! one of the more artsy paint jobs on a plane and you did it gorgeously. Great work!

Drew

Hi Drew, Eamonn & John.

Thanks for your comments. I will admit to cheating on the Durango side and cutting the fuselage decal into two parts - it took quite a few applications of Microsol and there are still a few small wrinkles I couldn't eliminate.

Mike

Lived in Durango for a year, and flew out numerous times. I'm pretty certain any aircraft larger than a Citation would break the entire airport there! LOL

Have never flown from Durango but have done DIA to Gunnison several times. On one trip in a "vomit comet" we were sat at the front and cockpit door was open. The autopilot was set to 15000ft, remember thinking that didn't allow much margin for crossing the Continental Divide!

• Like 1