Hi all,

Is there anyone out there who has a good knowledge of the Argentine Meteors an their colours? I'm writing because I'm sceptical, but open to be wrong!

My question is about the multitude (seemingly) of highly coloured HSS Meteors, many with cheguerboards, stripes and/or large panels of red, yellow or black .... and more. My scepticism comes from the fact that while I the decal producers show these in their offerings I can only find artificial images on line, most of which are from SimPC users. The only true images I can find on line show either HSSS or the later camouflage. I have to say, though, that there are some museum/pole examples with these schemes but even they are not giving me much confidence.

Any thoughts? Am I way off beam?

Thanks.

Martin

PS: I have an MPM Meteor F.4 ready to go so awaiting your thoughts eagerly!!!

http://www.amilarg.com.ar/gloster-meteor.html

Great for all things FAA/ COAN aircraft actually...

Certainly chequer and colourful additions to silver machines existed. http://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/Gloster%20Meteor%20IV%20Argentina.html

http://www.milavicorner.0catch.com/meteorsarg.htm

As did the 'graffiti' aircraft during the anti-Peron uprising of 1955 (also included in MPM decal options)

Foto09.jpg

Before you start by the way- just have a look in your box- the MPM 1/72 Argentine Meteor MK.IV boxing quite often had the wrong wing sprue included. Mine did, and so did the kit a member on here built during the late Meteor groupbuild.

Will

Edited by Killingholme
  • Like 1

Here are some photos and color profiles of the FAA Meteors in sliver finish with colorful markings.

0000079.jpg

0000080.jpg

0000079_2.jpg

0000080_2.jpg

0000080_3.jpg

I visited the Aero Parque Museum in Buenos Aires twice, for the first time in 1976, there was the Meteor C-041 on display in fighter-bomber scheme of green and grey. When I visited there for the second time in 1995, the Meteor was repainted in a very colorful finish of white upper surface and red lower surface with serial number I-041 which is for interceptor.

Check my flickr photo album at the link below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/8226575402/in/album-72157632122434894/

Cheers,

Jun in Tokyo

• Like 3

there was the Meteor C-041 on display

C-041 (and the rest of the aircraft that were at Aeroparque Jorge Newbery) is now at the Museo Nacional Aeronautica at Moron and is in a less flamboyant scheme:

FAA%20Meatbox%2001_zpsvvxqfmob.jpg

Here is another Meatbox outside of the FAA headquarters in Central Buenos Aires. It looks as if this one has been recently resprayed as it is devoid of markings bar the fin flash.

FAA%20Meatbox%2002_zps3qvk8fca.jpg

These were taken in June.

• Like 1

Hi there

Well there are some books but all written in Spanish even if interested

monog_images_meteor.jpg

and

meteor+book+1.jpg

Best day

Armando

Edited by RAGATIGER
  • Like 1

Hi, all,

I wouldn't trust the "colours" in any "restoration", be it a gate-keeper, a pylon-mounted or even a museum piece, exception made of a Silver one! Restorations in Argentina follow colours only in a very general way.

FErnando

Edited by Fernando
  • Like 1

Restorations in Argentina follow colours only in a very general way.

That is true; the Dagger at MNA looks pretty amateurish, although accuracy is getting better as the painters pay more attention to detail; look at the Pulqui II prototype.

That Meteor book is a very good source of information. While I was in BA I bought a whole lot of the series on different FAA and CANA aircraft.

Dagger C-432, A Malvinas combat veteran after repaint:

Dagger%20C-432_zpsbrghkza4.jpg

• Like 1

That is true; the Dagger at MNA looks pretty amateurish, although accuracy is getting better as the painters pay more attention to detail; look at the Pulqui II prototype.

Dagger C-432, A Malvinas combat veteran after repaint:

Main problem being that camo colour batches differed a huge lot from before and after the war. Some of the hues and shades were simply no longer obtainable, not even by comparison. For instance, if ya checked out the hue on the olive drab colour of the Dagger C-432 in the picture. It looks to be a helluva lot brighter than it ever was on the real deal.

Be that as it may; my all-fave colours for the Argentine Meteors was this one:

FAA%20Meatbox%2002_zps3qvk8fca.jpg

Yep, the Argies relegated their Meteors to the ground attack role with the arrival of F-86 Sabres in 1960 and they were painted in the camo scheme. Argentine Meatboxes actually went to war during the many coup attempts that raged between Peronists (supporters of President Juan Peron) and those opposed to him inj the 50s and 60s. He was overthrown in 1955 and exiled, but in 1962 and a year later there were further attempts by senior navy personnel to topple the incumbent government. In 1955 in an attempt to assassinate the president, a navy SNJ dropped bombs on the presidential palace Casa Rosada in the main square Plaza de Mayo in BA, killing a large number of people. An FAA Meteor shot one of the bombers down.

Yep, the Argies relegated their Meteors to the ground attack role with the arrival of F-86 Sabres in 1960 and they were painted in the camo scheme.

Thought F-86F-30s (with F-40 wings) arrived not 'til the '70s, which was the year Meatboxes were written off.

In 1955 in an attempt to assassinate the president, a navy SNJ dropped bombs on the presidential palace Casa Rosada in the main square Plaza de Mayo in BA, killing a large number of people. An FAA Meteor shot one of the bombers down.

:bleh: An AT-6 Texan propeller-driven aircraft against a jet armed with four 20mm cannon is no-contest at all. Whut I couldn't ever believe was the fact that the fighter jock in the Meatbox would shoot down an aircraft which was still over the city, when the river was just seconds away.

The first FAA F-86s arrived in 1960 and were an offer the FAA couldn't refuse from the United States. At the time FMA was going through the motions with Kurt tank's Pulqui II prototype, which was proving to be a tough nut to crack aerodynamically and with the overthrow of Peron in 1955, momentum on the project stalled, particularly after the early prototypes had crashed.

An AT-6 Texan propeller-driven aircraft against a jet armed with four 20mm cannon is no-contest at all.

Would you believe a Sea Fury shot down a MiG-15? The various coup attempts saw Meatboxes and F9F Panthers going to war as the navy uprisings saw the Meatboxes and Sabres being pitted against CANA aircraft (F9Fs, F4Us and T-28s). FAA Avro Lincolns were also involved in all this too. During the earlier coup that overthrew Peron, the Meteors' home base at Moron (where the excellent Museo Nacional Aeronautica is located) was over run by Peronists and the Meteors were captured and used by the opposition.

Edited by nuuumannn

Would you believe a Sea Fury shot down a MiG-15?

Correction: it was an flight of four Sea Furies.

Kill was credited to Carmichael since he was the flight leader.

Just FYI... :whistle:

Edit: Good English language FAA Meteor references are the extensive articles in Model Aircraft Monthly 2002-02

(pdf scans can be found online at the usual places) & International Air Power Review Vol.7.

Edited by Panoz

The first FAA F-86s arrived in 1960 and were an offer the FAA couldn't refuse from the United States.

True, true... I stand corrected, gladly.

Would you believe a Sea Fury shot down a MiG-15?

Certainly I would, yeh! As well as P-51Ds shot down Me 262As during WWII.