DC-6 SAS - withdrawn

After unexpectedly having to deal with the incipient demise of Post Image, I’ve given SE-BDB a good clean up and her first coat of primer. 

35810891471_d2c4bdef58_k.jpg

35902259056_a6ae2199d6_k.jpg

Inevitably this has highlighted some areas in need of further attention particularly around the cockpit and the right outer engine but there’s nothing show-stopping and we’re more or less exactly where I expect to be at this stage of any build.  She’s definitely starting to look like a DC-6 although the short non-radar nose is a little bit different. Hopefully I’ll get time to deal with the problems in the next few days then make a start on the final finish.

Just to add to to the radar fairing question . The BCPA DC-6s were built for ABA of Sweden . When ABA became part of SAS these . aircraft were sold by ABA to BCPA prior to delivery. It is therefore possible that that same fairings were retained by BCPA . The remaining three DC-6s passed to TEAL ( later Air New Zealand ) then to the RNZAF. Hope this helps

Martin H 

• Like 1

Thanks Martin. According to my sources (mainly Planelogger) 'DB was delivered new to SILA in 1948.  She was re-registered LN-LMF in 1954, went to Aeronaves de Mexico in 1960 and ended her days with the Mexican Air Force sometime around 1968.  There are some lovely pictures of BCPA, TEAL and RNZAF DC-6s on the net and I've really enjoyed doing the research although once this project is finished I'm going back to jets for a while!

I’m still not certain that the DC-6 is going to be finished in time for the end of the GB but at least I have some more progress to report.

One problem which the primer showed up was the poor and uneven scribing of several panel lines on the fuselage.  I should have noticed this sooner but I didn’t and I had to do something before starting the natural metal.  I’ll spare you the details but suffice it to say I got to the point where I was losing the will to live, never mind finish the model and SE-BDB teetered on the brink of abandonment more than once.  Eventually a combination of bloody-minded persistence and good luck got things to the point of being marginally acceptable and I forced myself to stop fiddling with the model because anything I did was just going to make matters worse.  I won’t be posting any close-up photos!

After final priming and the usual (for me) rub down with superfine steel wool, the model has received an overall coat of Tamiya TS-17 to act as a base for the AK Interactive Xtreme Metal.  As I said in my Britannia thread, no matter how good you think your preparation has been there will always be at least one flaw which you’ve missed and the TS-17 has shown up a coupIe of dodgy bits on two of the engine cowlings. I hope to get these sorted and the top coat on by the start of next week although life has had an annoying habit of getting in the way recently.

35103263314_69e0735048_k.jpg

35134062433_0170f394c0_k.jpg

Back soon, hopefully!

• Like 2

After I posted the last update I realised I’d forgotten to drill the holes for the aerials, of which the DC-6 has rather a lot.  In attending to this I drilled the hole to the right of the astrodome in slightly the wrong place.  Oops, but not a big deal - just fill the hole with a little superglue, smooth over and touch up, or so I thought.  It turned out to be one of these apparently minor jobs which grow arms and legs for no obvious reason (apart from my own incompetence) and has led to all sorts of problems with trying to re-scribe panel lines which I'd already re-scribed etc etc.  

It's got to the point that I have decided the only sensible course it to strip everything back to the bare plastic and do a complete re-finish.  Clearly that won't happen before the end of the GB.  In fact, if I'm being honest, I'm starting to get fed up with the model and I need a break from it.  I was never confident I'd finish in time anyway but it's annoying that I've missed the deadline due to my own fault.  Still, that's modelling for you and if everything gets back on track SE-BDB should appear in RFI sometime in the next few months.

I've just been out in the garage spraying a second coat of Biostrip.  At least the paint is coming off quite nicely!  I will finish it (it's a matter of personal pride!) but unfortunately not for the GB