Lifecolour Tensochrome paints

James G

Hi All,

I guess this will be a fairly straightforward one, does anyone know an effective thinner for the Lifecolour Tensochrom weathering paints. I have the set for aircraft with smoke, oil, kerosene, etc. I have a rip on the back of the box right where it mentions what to thin the paint with! I think that they are acrylic, so I was assuming that I could thin them with UMP's universal thinner - does anyone know any ratios? The paints are pretty thin anyway but I want to be able to build up the weathering in layers. Has anyone tried thinnign them with screen wash, etc?

Cheers

James

Hi James,

I use the paints, but haven't used Tensochrome. My guess is they don't need thinned and you can use them straight from the pot. However, if you want to thin them Lifecolor's own, and Ultimate Products thinners should work. As always, just try them first on scrap before applying the tensochrome to a model.

Best Wishes,

Will.

I've not thinned mine, although I haven't used them a massive amount. They're supplied pretty thin anyway, but as Will said UMP, water or their own thinner would probably work. If you'd like me to test the thinners and you don't have them, drop me a PM and I'll have a dabble :)

I've had a quick chat with James, and here's what I found out:

I've just had a bit of a mix, and it looks like UMP will work fine. If you thin it at about 30% like with their normal paints you should be fine. It doesn't seem to separate out when you leave it either, which is a good sign. You might end up not bothering though, as they come out pretty dilute anyway. I used Fuel and Burnt Brown for my experiment :)

Now it's here so if anyone else asks the question, they won't have to wait for an answer ;)